1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 ... 43
Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
10/29/10 8:46 a.m.

Yeah, the Brian Locke/GST car was sharp looking (and wayyyyy faster than me.) I don't remember who was driving it though.

Started with the warbird Miata, but after two races switched to the R32 Skyline. Results were similar, as I struggled the whole time. The real world messed with my schedule so I didn't even log on until midnight, but I did get some racing in with some folks I hadn't run with before. I wasn't on my game and ended up 4th of 4 humans each time. ...at least I beat the CPU cars.

How did the early rooms go?

barrowcadbury
barrowcadbury New Reader
10/29/10 4:02 p.m.

That was me in the GST Time-Attack car... I was in the early rooms with an EVO GSR, which was amazing in the corners but lacking in the straights... So I bought, built, tuned and painted the Subie 15 minutes before the late room started... though I cheated on the paint job - downloaded the paint scheme off the storefront :)

I had a ton of fun in both the early and late rooms. Only issue was my headset wasn't letting me communicate with anyone except the leader in the early room, but apparently that was an issue of joining the session chat vs. group chat or something like that.

I thought the racing was very clean and gentlemanly (except for those jerk CPU drivers...). Even without communication capabilities in the early room, I felt like everyone was aware of everyone else, and didn't see any contact other than a minor accidental bump/scrape. Waaaaay different than just racing in the public lobbies with those maniacs.

The Warbird Miata was sweet!! And yeah, Brotus7 was very quick! Generally 2-seconds/lap quicker than me. I'll need to step up my game with this crowd :D

LAGUNAROADSTER and I did a 1-1 race at Maple Valley at the end of the night - I swear I almost barrel-rolled every single lap going over those rumble-strips at max traction!

And ZOOMX5 - thanks for posting pics!

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
10/29/10 4:33 p.m.

Arg....

I need to get this, it seems.

How cheap can i really get an Xbawkz, this game, and set to go?

Anyone still playing with handheld controller? Or is that a huge disadvantage in this game?

oldtin
oldtin HalfDork
10/29/10 4:58 p.m.

I had a company function - wasn't able to get on until about 11:45 (cst) - Just curious - I ran with just AI and could run 2:04.6 - 2:05.6 at catalunya - 1:34/5s at Atlanta and 1:39/40s at laguna seca - what were folks running? - just guessing those are a couple secs off the fast guys.

LainfordExpress
LainfordExpress New Reader
10/29/10 9:00 p.m.

I'd like to try this the next time you guys do it, I'll need to pick up FM3 though, I'm still playing FM2. I've seen it used at the local nerd store for a reasonable price.

I have Gold, what else do I need to do? Gamertag is LainfordExpress

barrowcadbury
barrowcadbury New Reader
10/29/10 10:32 p.m.
oldtin wrote: I had a company function - wasn't able to get on until about 11:45 (cst) - Just curious - I ran with just AI and could run 2:04.6 - 2:05.6 at catalunya - 1:34/5s at Atlanta and 1:39/40s at laguna seca - what were folks running? - just guessing those are a couple secs off the fast guys.

I believe my fastest lap times were... 2:03:026 @ Catalunya 1:37:833 @ Laguna 1:34:839 @ Road Atlanta

And I was consistently a good 2 seconds off the fastest paces set

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
10/29/10 11:34 p.m.
93celicaGT2 wrote: Arg.... I need to get this, it seems. How cheap can i really get an Xbawkz, this game, and set to go?

There's a new 4gig version of the box (which is OK if you just use it for gaming, and don't download movies, etc.) that I picked up at Wally World for $200. I'd say go Grassroots and check Craigslist. Most of the RROD you hear about was on the early consoles, and they've either been fixed or replaced. Make sure the person you're buying it from fires it up and demonstrates that it actually works..

I'm also hearing that a lot of my fellow ex-Forza 2 playmates are so disgusted with the public lobbies that they're not keeping the game after they finish it, and the "video game" guys that have finished it are doing the same (although for different reasons). Check the used game bin at your local "Gamestop" or "FB Games" (or whatever the big vidgame store near you is called.. ).

93celicaGT2 wrote: Anyone still playing with handheld controller? Or is that a huge disadvantage in this game?

I am. I've heard the Microsoft wheel is more like "Mad Catz" than Logitech, and that Logitech's xBox 360 wheel is NLA. Don't know if it's really a disadvantage, because (first) I haven't used a wheel in Forza, and (second) I'm tuning the "wrong" way for the environment (I keep building cars that handle great, but have no straight-line speed). I actually won a couple of races when we ran Spec Miatas (and some of the "fun" races where we ran no modded cars), so I think my poor tuning decisions have more to do with my losses than my use the sticks & buttons.

Again, though..I have to go back to the main thing I've said about the League. It's better to run with folks that actually care about the sport, than with the "Halo players" in the FM3 public "lobbies" (actually a hopper system, like most online FPS). Yeah, I'd like to be a lil' more competitive..but I'd rather lose to another racer, rather than to some cheater..or even to start cheating myself, and win more often.

Platinum90
Platinum90 SuperDork
10/30/10 7:23 a.m.

I went to the wheel for a couple races. The force feedback was nice, but I was 2 to 3 seconds a lap quicker with the sticks and buttons.

LainfordExpress
10/30/10 3:36 p.m.

Can the races this week being something easy/entry level? I just got the game today, so I only have a Fiesta, 500 Abarth, some Alfa thing, and an AE86 Corolla.

And my gamertag is LainfordExpress same as my name here.

Brotus7
Brotus7 Reader
10/30/10 9:17 p.m.

For fast times, I just check the leaderboard to see where I stand. I honestly don't remember my lap times.

It was good racing guys, I like the new formula. See you guys on Thursday. What are the tracks this week?

oldtin
oldtin HalfDork
10/30/10 9:34 p.m.

This week is 2000 - 2009 cars c class. Same tracks. Lainfordexpress - just send me a friend request. Glad to run stock with you. That was pretty fun when the group tried it.

I've about given up on public lobbies. They're either using you for brakes or kick you out if you win.

LainfordExpress
10/31/10 1:56 p.m.

Oldtin, is that yor gamer tag?

LainfordExpress
10/31/10 2:07 p.m.

Where do I find out what tracks we're using?

oldtin
oldtin HalfDork
10/31/10 2:34 p.m.

My gamertag is colonel Tommy. There's a sticky in the off topic forum with lists of GTs. This last series started with 1980s cars, then 90s, now 2000s running in class c at catalunya, laguna seca and road atlanta. It's a bit of an exercise in tuning but a lot of fun.

Capt Slow
Capt Slow HalfDork
11/1/10 12:25 p.m.

Sorry, I couldn't make it last week guys, work has been killing me...

Oh and if I don't respond to invites its because my 68 year old father has taken over the xbox to feed his HALO Reach addiction. I never figured my father for a gamer but after watching me play a few rounds he asked for the controller, and its a struggle to get it back.

We should probably start talking about what to do after the current series winds down this thursday. I am hearing a number of calls for some "stock" car racing.

What tracks? What cars? How many laps? How many weeks?

I am not going to make any specific suggestions since I feel like I brought the last series into being, somebody else should have a chance to determine it this time.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
11/1/10 2:08 p.m.
Capt Slow wrote: We should probably start talking about what to do after the current series winds down this thursday. I am hearing a number of calls for some "stock" car racing. What tracks? What cars? How many laps? How many weeks? I am not going to make any specific suggestions since I feel like I brought the last series into being, somebody else should have a chance to determine it this time.

I'm in for whatever, but I like the "floating target" plan. Whoever places last (and is equipped with a headset) gets to pick the track and stock car of their choice. The room host will change the settings to accommodate.

Big variety, a level playing field, no boredom. Go from an ALMS car to a CRX and see who freaks out.

Now how to format this in a series...I'm also open to completely different suggestions.

Capt Slow
Capt Slow HalfDork
11/1/10 4:24 p.m.

I like it! I am going to be picking all the cars and tracks!

Platinum90
Platinum90 SuperDork
11/1/10 8:50 p.m.

as an aside. at the Savannah Speed Classic this weekend, Porsche had a charity fundraiser in which you could play Forza for 7 laps in an effort to beat a time set by Honoree Hurley Haywood.

Porsche 962

Road Atlanta

1:12.567

So, Who can beat it?

Brotus7
Brotus7 Reader
11/2/10 8:15 a.m.
Platinum90 wrote: as an aside. at the Savannah Speed Classic this weekend, Porsche had a charity fundraiser in which you could play Forza for 7 laps in an effort to beat a time set by Honoree Hurley Haywood. Porsche 962 Road Atlanta 1:12.567 So, Who can beat it?

I'm game. Were any assists on? Was the lap clean?

oldtin
oldtin HalfDork
11/2/10 8:29 a.m.

I gave it a go last night. No assists, manual with clutch. I went 5 laps with a best of 1:14.9. A little more "seat" time in the 962 and I'll give ol Hurley a run.

Platinum90
Platinum90 SuperDork
11/2/10 8:34 a.m.

As far as I know the lap was clean. According to one of the guys running the event, his braking zones were literally right on top of each other, and his turn ins were much less exaggerated than mine. I fell about 2 seconds shy of his time, but I couldn't hear my revs or tires through the TV because the guy next to me had his TV turned up at least 10 DB more than mine.

I don't know what assists they had on, but I was using a wheel in a "racing seat" with manual gearbox and ABS off.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but it was the Rothmans Porsche that was being used.

Brotus7
Brotus7 Reader
11/2/10 8:38 a.m.

3rd lap, 1:11:610. There's still room for improvement there, the boost lag is a killer.

No assists, clean lap.

ZOOMX5
ZOOMX5 New Reader
11/3/10 3:35 a.m.

I gave it a go.
Stock Rothmans 962, no assists, 7th lap (clean) 01:12.119. That is one hell of a car! On a Porsche related note, here is my project car for the race this thursday. Tuning and paint still need some work. Its kinda slow in corners but will run Laguna Seca in 01:40 or less.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
11/4/10 2:20 a.m.

Ran some 2000-2009 C425 tests/practice/warmup/whatever with oldtin, Bob of the Future, and Cap'n Slow tonight/this morning (in the east). Great stuff!

Just like F1, we didn't "test" at any track we'd run in the League Thu nite..but we sure had some action!

Man, that was fun! Anyone thinking about joining, remember that we ain't quite SCCA or NASA..and the League isn't just about League Night. You see us on, open a private lobby and send an invite!

ZOOMX5
ZOOMX5 New Reader
11/4/10 3:25 a.m.

I saw you guys on way early this morning! I was too late to join. Thursday is my "saturday" and due to crazy shift work, has me up at 2a.m. eastern to start my day. Dont have to be at work till saturday at 3:30pm so makes for a long weekend at least. I hope I dont encounter connection issues tonight, looking forward to racing.

1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 ... 43

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EpkQEtlQE5XuvPzmaBl5WmPfaPogXEeFpGEdfGUwBqLE1abCzjcOY5Yvk69nrJNe