Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/2/19 9:04 p.m.

In reply to Furious_E :

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/3/19 7:31 a.m.
ShawneeCreek said:

And the whole haul:

This included two adjustable coilovers with remote reservoirs (for a motorcycle??), lock actuators for a BMW, BMW window switches, trailer? lights, two long (subframe?) bolts, an old Bluetooth headset, USB power block, carbon fiber look motorcycle license plate frame, a handful of weld on tabs, a can of Great Stuff, nitrile gloves, grinder sanding disc, a big bag of colorful tags on rings, Scotch Brite pad, used Sharpie, zip ties, needle nose pliers, welding rod, a shift knob (for a lawn mower?), and this:

Some googling leads me to believe that this is some sort of magic button to automatically reorder "Izze Sparkling Juice" from Amazon. I feel like we've reached peak lazy. Amazon Prime is already scarily easy to spend money and order things. They've now reduced it down to pressing a button?!?

Thanks AWSX1686! A wonderful mix of the useful, obscure, and useless. I look forward to passing the sign along next year.

-Sean

Coil overs are from some sort of motorcycle, they came with the SpitBird.

Random BMW parts, because I have piles of them.

The lights I believe are marker lights from an e28 or e24.

I can't remember what the bolts were from.

Weld tabs came with a harness, but I'm sure could be used for any number of things.

If you haven't yet used a grinder flap disc, you're in for a treat there! 

Shift knob was from a random pile of 21 things given to me for my 21st birthday, couldn't tell you what it's from. 

Finally, the button. It is an Amazon Dash button as you have found. I bought two of them to use for a project that I never got around to. If you are handy at all with electronics, you can "hack" them to do whatever you want. Basically you only set them up part way, so they connect to your WiFi, but don't get to Amazon. Then you have something watching the network for when that MAC address shows up. When it sees that you can trigger whatever you want with something like IFTTT. I was going to use it for a doorbell that sends a text, but really there are tons of possibilities. I just picked the Izzy one because I thought that was more fun than Tide. Hahaha

Greg Smith
Greg Smith HalfDork
1/3/19 2:31 p.m.

Finally getting around to adding pics. I opened the box before New Years... and mine's still not in the mail. It's in process, apologies to my victim.

Someone defaced this GOVERNMENT BOX! Oh Noes!

...and again.

The top of the box was covered in shiny buttone. I may have to turn these into magnets for my toolbox. VERY cool.

...then some mystery hood louvers. Not sure what they're from, but they have been repainted at least once, if not twice.

...and a "vintage daily driver" T-Shirt. Too small for me unfortunately (for me, and for my insurance carrier. and family, and... dang, maybe I shouls have resolved to diet after all...) but CSmith will wear it with pride. His '94 Miata is 25 now, so it squeaks in as "vintage" I suppose.

Then was this cool cast racecar. The flames go up and down as the front axle turns.

And a "flying doorstop" aka 'the Shape of Things to Come... (indeed they did! Sadly, not built by Triumph)

Followed by an assortment of bolt rounders. The Craftsman one isn't bad, but doesn't grip super tight. I think they can all safely round off SAE, metric, and Whitworth fasteners as well as anything else small enough to fit within their maws.

Next were valve stems (I found more later), Zip ties, and a weird pulley/lever thing.

More, larger Zip ties (not pictured)

...and some mystery relays

...a very cool Firefly build plate. Shiny! I do need to figure out what will get this.

...a weird Trans am storage pouch with a message from Firefly.

A mysterious box:

...with the Meme Mug!

Thank you John!!!

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
1/3/19 2:53 p.m.

In reply to Greg Smith :

That's a brake / fuel line bending tool.

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/3/19 3:10 p.m.
AWSX1686 said:

Finally, the button. It is an Amazon Dash button as you have found. I bought two of them to use for a project that I never got around to. If you are handy at all with electronics, you can "hack" them to do whatever you want. Basically you only set them up part way, so they connect to your WiFi, but don't get to Amazon. Then you have something watching the network for when that MAC address shows up. When it sees that you can trigger whatever you want with something like IFTTT. I was going to use it for a doorbell that sends a text, but really there are tons of possibilities. I just picked the Izzy one because I thought that was more fun than Tide. Hahaha

Ok, that's actually pretty cool. I may have to look into doing that later.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
1/3/19 3:45 p.m.

I got my box, and I'm feeling entirely unworthy of the bounty my secret GRM Santa packed me. I think my sender was EvanB, and it looks like he works in industrial maintenance or for a industrial supply house, because my box was filled to the gills with HIGH END STUFF! This isn't the junk I was expecting.

First look as I opened the box:

This first layer had some interesting staples: mystery plug wires, qty. 8. Two strange screw drivers with an adjustable bit in the center. They look to have a striking cap on the end too, so perhaps they're impact screwdrivers? They're the two red handled items below. A magical table leveling device that I feel like packing with me when I go to the local eatery since they seem to always have a heap of napkins stuffed under a few of the table feet.

As I dug deeper, I found all sorts of genuinely useful tools: torque limiting extensions (I've always wanted a set of these!), a matching set of nice Torx drivers, a small pneumatic pistol grip sander, a 3/8" pneumatic ratchet made in USA, and a set of sockets WITH a 10mm! Additionally, I found a set of pin removal tools for Deutsch connectors, which is seriously handy and better than the bits of wire I've attempted to use to mangle Deutsch connectors I've had to de-pin in the past. Locktite 561 (pipe dope) in a glue stick format really made my day - I hadn't seen this in this form before, and I can already tell it's light years better than the schmutz in a can that I seem to get on everything. Cut proof gloves, a webbing cutter, LED tail light, a flashlight, and another big gem: a unibit style step drill that is at least 20x more valuable than the HF step drills I've used to date. It's real nice. There's a giant threadsert set in like 5/8"- 11 and some great stickers. The Caswell sticker is quite a prize and has already been regifted to my BMW nut brother in law. He was stoked.

The walkie-talkies had batteries in them and everything - my daughter and I talked on them for at least an hour. She also absconded with these two foam cone trophies pretty much immediately:

Lastly, the piston and con-rod. I feel pretty sheepish to admit that I don't know what it fits with that big fin on the big end cap. Someone help me out?

To my secret santa, my sincere thanks for this prime loot. I don't know if you stalked me to know how useful these things would be to me, but let me just say that you could give advice to my wife about what tools I need! ;)

SaltyDog
SaltyDog HalfDork
1/3/19 3:59 p.m.

I'm guessing the fin is an oil slinger. It would be used in a non-pressurized lube system to sling oil over the bits that needed to be lubed.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/3/19 5:03 p.m.

In reply to Mezzanine :

I thought it might be you but the location in your profile didn't match exactly so I wasn't sure. I saw a Saab in the driveway on street view so I figured at least the Torx drivers would be useful. Most of it is random samples and discarded stock that I have collected and found while cleaning my garage and desk. The screwdrivers are impact, I think the adjustment is for the force of the impact? I haven't tried them out but I had a few sets laying around. 

The spark plug wires were regifted from last year. The piston is from a Kohler K341 that I rebuilt in my garden tractor. Glad the Deutsch tools are useful, I have so many of those sitting around from a project at work that I don't know what to do with. 

Enjoy!

Greg Smith
Greg Smith HalfDork
1/3/19 8:09 p.m.
Indy-Guy said:

In reply to Greg Smith :

That's a brake / fuel line bending tool.

Learned something new today!! Many thanks!!

Cooter
Cooter Dork
1/3/19 8:24 p.m.
Greg Smith said:

A mysterious box:

...with the Meme Mug!

Thank you John!!!

You are more than welcome.  I tired my best to personalize it from my stalking, hence the  TR7 and Firefly/Serenity references.  (If you look on the flap under the "It's worse than you know" you will see Mal's reply to The Operative there.)

I was supposed to have received two different "nameplates", but only one was shipped out to me.  I felt horrible about that. I'm glad that you found the one I did get in the "glovebox".

I figured everyone here can always use new valve stems.  There should be 3 seats of four in there. 

The vents are from the same '80 Trans Am that the dashboard "glovebox" came from.  They are unobtrusive solutions to underhood temps and limited cockpit space, respectively.   (Each of which can be an issue in the Doorstop Triumph)  

This was one of the best collections of bolt-rounders I have put together in quite some time, and I am proud of myself for the more obscure ones in the box.

The relays are from a Porsche 944.

The Hubley Racer isn't all that vintage, but it is an incredibly well done knockoff that fooled many collectors over the years.

The buttons are cool knock-offs, as well.

I apologize profusely for the t-shirt.  I wasn't sure of the size from my stalking, so I guessed.   If you message me with your size, I will send one out to you from my next order post haste.  

Cooter
Cooter Dork
1/3/19 8:52 p.m.
jfryjfry said:

Cooter!

i ended up not having space to fill with ballast :).  And judging by the condition of it, it might not have survived if it was much heavier.  

I hope the headphones work. Or that you don’t want them :)

the shirt is from Mile22 - I drove the pod cars on it.  I heard the movie wasn’t great but thought you might like the shirt.  The hat is from the Mexico City go kart track where we did a Baby Driver premiere. 

I figured out it was you but was pretty fruitless in figuring out what I could get you that would be specific to you.   :(   You have everything!   So I tried to include some useful expendibles.  

The part I love about this game is that you learn more about GRM people.  I learned from researching your gifts that you likely have the coolest job on all of GRM.  And that you have traveled to Georgia at least twice.  wink

Thanks again!

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo Dork
1/4/19 10:50 a.m.

Who said something about GRM karma? I dropped off my box at the UPS store and later that day I get one in my mailbox.

Nice! I am currently working on an Integra so this is very timely.

Thought those were speakers for a second. I recognize that hotwheel, my sister's boyfriend left one on my desk the other day when they visited. 

The haul;

Blazer rectangular fog lights 

Yellow bullet fog lights

Stress ball cone

A very fat picture book of cars

Two very cool postcards from the Porsche Musuem that can be folded into paper model cars

90 Civic EF hotwheels

"Ooze baff" fill a tub with water and mix to bathe in ooze, my niece will love this and maybe I'll end up with a Ninja Turtle

Two car stereo remotes

Honda & Acura Performance Handbook

MS Streets and Trips 2006 (LOL!)

4.0 Litre High Output emblem

Two odd bulbs

Coozie

Harley Davidson Reading, PA chamois 

Mystical Fire throw into fire to scare the natives into thinking you are a wizard

National Museum of the United States Air Force Aircraft Brochure 

Thank you Dave from Carnegie, PA (Pinchvalve?)
Well done! Very nice gifts I look forward to going through the books and assembling the paper model Porsches. And seeing if the Ooze turns my niece into a TMNT.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/4/19 2:24 p.m.

A box has arrived. 

There was a note as well, not pictured. Customary stickers front and center, with lots of interesting bits peaking about

A boosst guage, an oil pressure gauge that could have saved my miata, so Koni, FM, and GRM Stikers, and a book. 1958 edition Popular Mechanics Chevy owners manual, with a name on it that has me wondering if this was a combined effort with my victim. 

Labled(!) resistors, some clamps and pencils, a spare hex key set, stainless zipties (aww yea), an exhaust hanger from something..

Not sure why the flash went off and ruined the shot. Pop rivet tool, a magnetic bar, a set of stanley sockets that are heavy as hell, Craftsman tossle cap, hot wheels.. 

And I'm not sure what that last thing is. Looks setup to be a bottle opener, but with a comfy grip that makes me think it's for getting money from customers. Those could be set screws instead of a bottle opener, as there is a hole in the end. 

Again, don't know whats up with the flash, but a there's a set of mini screw drivers, some beefy O rings that are kinda hard to see, a new looking brake drum for an early 00's civic, and a packet of spring and things. 

I haven't googled the number on the box yet, but theres a closeup. The metal bits that aren't springs have a hole for hex on one side and some gripper looking things on the other, but not threads that I can see. 

A good haul, just over 17lbs of stuff, some of which will prove very useful. 

Thanks CMCMcGregor! 

RossD
RossD MegaDork
1/4/19 6:19 p.m.

My wife was almost as excited as I was when we found it on the porch.

It looked in good shape until we found this corner.

The first layer had some swag for a financial planning group and a local to Seattle soccer team. The red solo cup is a reusable one with a Torque Steerers logo on it.

A few felt coasters, some sweet stickers, 100 best album covers book, toggle bolt kit, and... a knock off go pro camera and another camera? 

I am excited for the camera. I will probably unleash it with the kids when we go out in the snow.

Thanks Secret Santa in Seattle!

imgon
imgon Reader
1/4/19 6:47 p.m.
1kris06 said:

In reply to imgon :

You were the only one in the thread with Plymouth MA as city/state.

The lights are ford fusion projector fog lights from a project I never finished.

Good stalking trick for the future. Cool lights, what wattage bulb goes in them? They must work pretty cool.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
1/4/19 7:05 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

Wow, that was fast! I hope that at least some of it is useful/fun. That unidentifiable metal thing was made as a shift knob extension for my e30 by my brother in law - it was pretty fun to slam gears with. I'm pretty sure I bought that brake drum for our Honda Fit years and years ago - it has resided in at least 3 houses, and after moving it cross country, I thought to myself "Self, why do you still have this?". I don't even know what happened to the other one. I know that you've been dabbling in some metalworking lately, so I thought it could be a base for a brake drum forge? Might be a little small for that though.

The book and a few of the other odds and ends have come from other GRMers in the past. I think I gave you a few "vintage" GRM stickers as well (America's Sports Car Magazine).

I did remember that you previously had a Miata - if you ever get another one, those o-rings are for the infamous CAS oil leak. I spared you all of my other random Miata parts though.

Anyway - Merry Christmas and a happy New Year, enjoy my random E36 M3!

java230
java230 UltraDork
1/4/19 8:54 p.m.

In reply to RossD :

Ohhh! not me, but im drinking that same beer tonight! Good choice whoever that was.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UberDork
1/4/19 9:48 p.m.
Mndsm said:
Jumper K Balls (Trent) said:

My haul from Andy. 

No pics of the box as the post office was out of them so I had to reuse it 

A t shirt from an ice company accompanied by a rad ice pick.  Some safety glasses, spark plugs, electrical tape. A vintage Volvo hubcap and some wrenches. 

The wife has already asked if she can have the shirt!

Thanks Andy!

I have a pair of those hubcaps! 

I have approximately eleventy billion of those hubcaps.  

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/5/19 4:30 a.m.

27 out of 62 boxes received so far! 

Holy smokes you guys, there is some seriously awesome stuff being delivered and we're not even half way done yet!

Cheers guys, here's to the second half laugh

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/5/19 11:17 a.m.

I got a box just now but trying to capitalize on the short light day (and it is super nice here). Will open later tonight.

dr_strangeland
dr_strangeland GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/5/19 11:33 a.m.

In reply to RossD :

The cameras used to be my autocross cameras, they've been replaced by GoPros and were just sitting, hopefully you can find a use for them.

The Torque Steerers mug is a trophy for first place in Open Street Tire! It has been sitting on a shelf for a couple seasons, I figured it was a local artifact that's actually useful.

Hopefully you enjoy IPAs, and the beer didn't freeze. Cheers! 

dr_strangeland
dr_strangeland GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/5/19 11:43 a.m.
java230 said:

In reply to RossD :

Ohhh! not me, but im drinking that same beer tonight! Good choice whoever that was.

Georgetown Brewing ftw! You have good taste.

Bodhizafa is one of their best, I think, it's not over the top hoppy with a really balanced feel, and since Manny made it, it's very sessionable. They also don't distribute outside the west coast, so not likely something you'll find 'back east'.

Now I'm thirsty! I should walk down to Georgetown...

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Dork
1/5/19 4:47 p.m.

it has arrived. Along with my issue of GRM. I suppose I can tear myself away from changing a flat tire on the e46 for some forum excitement devil

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/5/19 5:14 p.m.

In reply to MazdaFace :

Good idea having a dog check it before bringing it inside.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/5/19 5:15 p.m.

In reply to cmcgregor :

Shift knob extension? Awesome. I'll have to see if I can make it work in the truck.

I'm still a bit stumped on the springs n things, but the book is an interesting read so far. 

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
osQaDMFnxlUgmmcmPOVno29unfCQEHpwTNG3brd0rvNdCxIHrGmVzO8KW1r0owJl