1 2
maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
7/31/09 8:45 p.m.

just watched Napolitan pull the first competition double front during the BMX big air superpipe competition...it didn't win, but it was AWESOME

discuss X-games further...

2 more days of competition, Rally on Sunday!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/31/09 9:23 p.m.

Double front flip was way, way cool, but I agree with the judges, the contest is called Big Air. Can 199 do it again?

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/31/09 9:28 p.m.

A friend of mine is there crewing for Andrew Comrie-Picard in rally.

David S. Wallens
7/31/09 9:31 p.m.

Oh, and a PS. That Axe chesty double-pit commercial is so bad that I want to scream. However, props to the Mustang drift commercial. First time I saw it, I rewound the DVR to watch it again.

RexSeven
RexSeven HalfDork
7/31/09 9:31 p.m.

There's a live blog on ESPN with some interesting stories about the rally competators, like how it's much more expensive to room and board for the X-Games than normal rallies, and how the Fiestas are very fast but twitchy:

Day 1 (Thursday): http://espn.go.com/action/news/story?id=4365396

Day 2 (Friday): http://espn.go.com/action/news/story?id=4369222

Alonso
Alonso New Reader
7/31/09 9:36 p.m.

I live down the street from the Home Depot Center, so of course I went Thursday when it was totally free. I just got my first DSLR a week ago, so the first thing I did when I got there was look for awesome things to shoot. The rally guys were practicing on the tarmac portion (the dirt/stadium portion will be set up for Motocross until Sunday) but the tarmac portion of the track has fencing around it and it makes the track totally unphotogenic. The pits were open on Thursday and made for a good place to shoot the cars, drivers and crew.

I also just got back from the Home Depot Center today. The rally guys were having Time Trials on the tarmac portion to determine their position for Sunday's qualifying. A couple of drivers hit the barrier pretty hard, disabling their cars. The pit area was closed off because of the Time Trials, but I was able to finagle my way in and take some awesome shots of the cars and drivers.

Teaser pic: Travis Pastrana heading for his pit spot (more like pit mansion)

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
7/31/09 10:02 p.m.

I agree with Wallens...The right guy won the big air competition.

No second attempt for Travis...oh well, I didn't really want him in the hospital during the rally event on Sunday.

Alonso
Alonso New Reader
7/31/09 11:47 p.m.

Spot the GRM Sticker

More pictures on my Flickr photostream

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
8/1/09 12:15 p.m.
maroon92 wrote: I agree with Wallens...The right guy won the big air competition. No second attempt for Travis...oh well, I didn't really want him in the hospital during the rally event on Sunday.

How much physical punishment can one body take? At some point Travis is going to hit the ground and simply disintegrate. They'll just pick up a uniform, a roost guard,some boots and some dust.

The thing that blows me away about the guy is that I've never seen him give an interview that wasn't incredibly gracious and upbeat. When they interview his disembodied head, it will be smiling and laughing and saying how it can't wait until next year because they're adding head freestyle.

jg

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
8/1/09 12:43 p.m.
The thing that blows me away about the guy is that I've never seen him give an interview that wasn't incredibly gracious and upbeat. When they interview his disembodied head, it will be smiling and laughing and saying how it can't wait until next year because they're adding head freestyle.

Amen. TP = CLASS. Unlike most atheletes and "stars," I'd file him under acceptable, yet somehow still really freaking cool role model.

David S. Wallens
8/1/09 4:29 p.m.

I met him at SEMA a few years ago and, yes, he was just really, really polite. His was raised well. (He also wears his hat with what I would call a normal amount of crown, but that's a different discussion.)

dxman92
dxman92 New Reader
8/1/09 6:17 p.m.

What time is rally on tomorrow?

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
8/1/09 6:21 p.m.
dxman92 said: What time is rally on tomorrow?

well, they run "on schedule", so it is hard to say exactly when, but the final day of coverage is on ABC at 3

White_and_Nerdy
White_and_Nerdy New Reader
8/1/09 7:47 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: I met him at SEMA a few years ago and, yes, he was just really, really polite. His was raised well. (He also wears his hat with what I would call a normal amount of crown, but that's a different discussion.)

What you guys said. I worked the New England Forest Rally a few weeks ago, and Travis wandered over to where I was watching the start of SS2 (run in reverse order, so he had nothing to do for a while). We got chatting, and it was just like chatting with another car nut, not some wild famous X-Games/rally star. I have a ton of respect for people like him who are incredibly talented yet don't let their talent or fame go to their heads.

David S. Wallens
8/1/09 9:48 p.m.

Nice race in Women's Moto X. So, Ashley Fiolek was just setting up the other girl the entire race, huh?

rob_lewis
rob_lewis Dork
8/2/09 9:19 a.m.

Totally forgot this was on this weekend. First time in 15 years I haven't been watching it, DOH!! Trying to get caught up right now.

Women's Moto X, talk about setup! That's the way to do it. Watch the whole race and then pass on the last lap.

Why oh why won't ESPN release these as a DVD series?

-Rob

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette Reader
8/2/09 9:56 a.m.

On the big ramp skate with the rail in the middle the one guy just kept getting up even after he bent his leg backward , that was hard to watch fri night ouch ... i like x game

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
8/2/09 1:20 p.m.

Looks like rally elims then then something else then rally finals from 3-6 today.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
8/2/09 2:45 p.m.

eliminations are over...

finals prediction Foust V Block...Foust comes out on top...maybe.

ACP hurt his car again...I think he railed his intercooler and the second half of the lap he was blowing all his compression into the atmosphere.

griffin729
griffin729 Reader
8/2/09 4:47 p.m.

finals 199 and Kenny Brack!

Wow, I didn't expect that ending.

Stuc
Stuc HalfDork
8/2/09 4:54 p.m.

Yea. I kind of feel like the driving has gone down hill over the years, but hey.

Also, TP's arms had to be slower what with having his elbow drained and a chipped bone in his wrist..

Rusty_Rabbit84
Rusty_Rabbit84 HalfDork
8/2/09 4:55 p.m.

Please tell me we are getting the Festivas soon, those look unreal!! Good for Brack for winning...

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
8/2/09 8:31 p.m.
griffin729 wrote: finals 199 and Kenny Brack! Wow, I didn't expect that ending.

Kinda dissappointing that tp wrecked out in the finals, I was hoping to see a really close finish to that race, but wa still rooting for brack to win.

Alonso
Alonso New Reader
8/2/09 9:27 p.m.

Ya I fell in love with the Fiestas when I saw them sitting on jack stands in the pits. The 4 door Fiestas are better looking in rally form than the 2 doors. I heard they're running about 800HP and ~2,100Lbs, totally unbelievable.

I have my set up on Flickr

griffin729
griffin729 Reader
8/2/09 9:37 p.m.

I also didn't expect to see Tanner Foust over rotate turning back onto the straight after the hairpin, in the semis to lose to Brack. But, yes those Fiestas are dat sexy.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uM4pAVWE0v1s6xlQvroc8Qu9gU2dMgRtvdyN6HkgGIWPb06DNODzJhtawOzCF6yJ