1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
6/21/23 9:18 a.m.

So, as the 66 Chevy II project lumbers on, I find that I am nearing a place where I need to put fluids in all the various systems and get ready for that initial start-up.  One of the missing pieces I have identified is an engine oil dipstick and dipstick tube.  Apparently, when I bought this fresh rebuild 15 years ago, it did not have one.  Now I am tasked with finding one that will fit.

As I understand it, this is a mid-1980's truck block, 350 cid.  The dipstick hole is on the passenger side.  What fits?  Anybody have a particular aftermarket unit that they've had good luck with?  I'd rather not shell out for a Lokar unit if I'm not even sure it will fit.

It almost looks like the dipstick hole is threaded.  Are these all press-in?

I'm heading out to look at it again.  I'll post up block numbers, if that will help.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
6/21/23 10:00 a.m.

OOoops!  Never mind.  That's not the right hole!  What I found last night turns out to be a through hole for mounting the starter, and it is indeed threaded.

So no I have no idea where the dipstick hole is. angry

Number on the pad on the front of the engine is V1107PLB

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/21/23 10:03 a.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

Press fit driver's side. 

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/21/23 10:29 a.m.

Dorman makes a replacement assembly.  It's like ten bucks.

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
6/21/23 10:35 a.m.

V1107PLB

Says it was made in Flint, November 07th, and "PL" is a 283 from a '65 Chevy II 4-speed.  If so, the dipstick will be as shown.  "PLB" says it's an '88 454.

What are the casting numbers?

How to decode Chevy Engine Codes (nastyz28.com)

THE COMPLETE (camaros.org)

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
6/21/23 10:47 a.m.

Okay.  Found it.  Passenger side.  Much easier to discern location from below.  Invisible from above. 

I can't imagine whose idea it was to shove this big V8 engine in this little bitty car.  cheeky

hole

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/21/23 10:48 a.m.

Guys! Did you ever lose your dipstick?

Sounds serious. I learned to be a lot more careful where I put it as I got older.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
6/21/23 10:50 a.m.

In reply to SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) :

I know I had written down the casting numbers at some point.  I hope I can find them, because I have literally no hope of getting my eyeballs on the back of the block, since it's shoehorned up against the firewall.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
6/21/23 10:51 a.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

Guys! Did you ever lose your dipstick?

Sounds serious. I learned to be a lot more careful where I put it as I got older.

Read the thread title, immediately recalled this: (Those of you around in the early 90's may remember it)

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/21/23 10:53 a.m.

You wouldn't be the first to need to fabricate a custom dipstick assembly for a swap.  But it doesn't sound too difficult.

The devil is in the details...

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/21/23 10:56 a.m.

did you check the medicine cabinet? 

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
6/21/23 10:58 a.m.
Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
6/21/23 10:59 a.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

did you check the medicine cabinet? 

I leave it there some times yes

enginenerd
enginenerd HalfDork
6/21/23 11:38 a.m.

I don't have anything meaningful to contribute but a somewhat funny story in answer to the thread title:

Had a buddy with an old Nissan where the dipstick handle broke off but the dipstick itself was seized in the tube. No amount of drilling, heat, or swearing would dislodge it. We finally got frustrated enough to just block off the pcv and pressurize the crankcase with compressed air (fully aware the likely outcome would be some blown seals but by that point we had tunnel vision)

After what seemed like an excessive amount of pressure, the dipstick finally ejected itself and launched into orbit. I caught a glimpse of it flying over the roof of my house off into the woods somewhere. To be fair we didn't put much effort into the recovery but that's the only time I've lost a dipstick.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/21/23 1:15 p.m.

I have the opposite issue: I somehow wound up with a Ford dipstick in my garage.

I don't have a Ford.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
6/21/23 2:43 p.m.
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) said:

V1107PLB

Says it was made in Flint, November 07th, and "PL" is a 283 from a '65 Chevy II 4-speed.  If so, the dipstick will be as shown.  "PLB" says it's an '88 454.

What are the casting numbers?

How to decode Chevy Engine Codes (nastyz28.com)

THE COMPLETE (camaros.org)

I wouldn't mind knowing more about this engine.  The number I can see on the DS rear of the engine is "GM 5.7 LG" and under that are the letters "SGI," which I understand to mean "spheroidal graphite iron."

Where can I find the casting number?

Edit:  I looked again at that number ending in PLB and there's no way it's anything but "PLB."  It's super clear and well-defined.  And it's not a 454.laugh   Funny how even the most authoritative number references don't always get it right.  GM must have recycled a lot of these codes.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro SuperDork
6/21/23 2:46 p.m.

IF the block has GM 5.7 it is definitely a late model block.  Casting number is on the drivers side rear near where the transmission bolts up, its the flat area.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
6/21/23 3:24 p.m.

Okay, number fun time. 

Casting number is 14093638.

Thank you, cellphone camera!

From outintheshop website, that's a 1987-1995, 350, Car & Truck 2 & 4-bolt Passenger stick 1-piece seal

Edit:  FWIW, the last three of the casting number appears at least two other places on the block.  "638".

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
6/21/23 3:37 p.m.

Just for kicks, I looked at the numbers on the original engine, sitting in a corner of my garage.

Casting number 3782870, which is 1962-1967, 327, Car and Truck 2-bolt, which makes it very likely the engine original to the car.

Engine code on the front pad is F0808HC, which means it shares my son's birthday ( ! ), made in Flint in '66 or prior.

HC for 1966 indicates 327ci, 275hp, 4-bbl carb and a Powerglide.

After I get this running, I may go back and rebuild the original.  Definitely holding on to it.

MyMiatas
MyMiatas HalfDork
6/21/23 7:29 p.m.

Rosco P. Coltrane never did!!   " Come on you Dipstick!"

superfund
superfund Reader
6/21/23 8:14 p.m.
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/21/23 8:33 p.m.

Small block Chevy...

Driver's side dipstick from 1955-79

Passenger side dipstick 1980+

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/21/23 9:15 p.m.
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) said:

Small block Chevy...

Driver's side dipstick from 1955-79

Passenger side dipstick 1980+

Remember, small block Chevys are easy to work on and everything interchanges.

Except for two or three different oil pan shapes.

And some didn't have motor mounts on the sides.

And some heads don't have accessory mounting holes, and the ones that do come in different flavors.

And there are two or three different intake manifold bolt patterns.

And some early ones didn't have starter bosses.

But aside from that, they're all the same.

And the 400 blocks had steam holes to prevent air pockets from forming due to the siamesed cylinder walls...

And three different main bearing diameters, one or two piece crank seals, and and and...

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
6/22/23 8:52 a.m.

Dude loses his dipstick by trying to put it in the wrong hole. 

Ouch. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2ZOInAMAVJw6gyj0PiF1fMaFlSFtTCXJxpeCIZED4TXQtLUCuSpQttc00k0vzW1L