tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/15/24 9:33 a.m.

My pastors have these bookshelves we bought from Wayfair, and they are fine. They are all keyed differently. I want to have two keys, one for each pastor, and be able to change the locks to accomodate.

So: Show me where to buy a lock like this where I can select which key they go to, or how to rekey one of these things to match its neighbors.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
8/15/24 9:52 a.m.

I'm not sure about how to rekey existing locks, so I will leave that to someone else, but I have found lock sets on Amazon similar to that in the past, and usually, you can buy a multipack that is all keyed the same.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
8/15/24 10:17 a.m.

It's a sad day when pastors have to lock up their books.

NermalSnert (Forum Supporter)
NermalSnert (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
8/15/24 10:21 a.m.

Ace Hardware can probably re-key them to a certain key.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/15/24 10:32 a.m.

If you can find any identifying information on the lock manufacturer you should be able to get cores and a core removal key.  It's basically a key that engages the core retention tab.  It's fairly common in office furniture type locks.

You insert the key and the core comes out and can be swapped to ones that match the key code you want.  You buy the key and cores matched.  Amazon has a lot of the major brands 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/15/24 10:48 a.m.
Stampie said:

It's not because of theft - the church has a library where we freely distribute any books, and we didn't want any confusion.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UberDork
8/15/24 11:03 a.m.

If you dont care about security, pull them both apart and just put in 1 or 2 of the pins needed to open the lock that match between the two different keys.   

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/15/24 11:09 a.m.
93gsxturbo said:

If you dont care about security, pull them both apart and just put in 1 or 2 of the pins needed to open the lock that match between the two different keys.   

1: I don't really know how to do that.

2: There are six bookcases so far, I want 4 on one key and 2 on the other, for now, but there will be more.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
8/15/24 11:10 a.m.

To remove a wafer-lock you usually either use the above mentioned key or use a lock pick set hook tool.

They look like this.

To remove a core, put the lock in the "unlocked" position, reach in with the hook and depress the rearmost wafer.

The core should pop right out.  To reinsert, reverse the process.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
8/15/24 11:15 a.m.

https://a.co/d/5LiqEWW

this looks like a neat little set to get started playing with locks.

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/15/24 4:42 p.m.

Lock pic set is cool but if you want effective and pretty basic:

It screws onto the tip of a shotgun, then you jam it into the door and unlock it. Easy.

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
8/15/24 5:07 p.m.
Stampie said:

You know that The Song of Solomon book can get pretty wild.......

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UberDork
8/15/24 7:17 p.m.

Do you have a photo of how it mounts  on the back ?

and how many do you need ?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rKDJQSmcRif1AMJUMKIBwXLKghSA6h8ua2u7oxsiSh9sLttPyRsCHBFpgpKcC3L9