1 2
curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/1/15 10:41 p.m.
skierd wrote: My pack might work well for you then. Lowepro Sport 200 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=768092&gclid=CjwKEAjwmZWvBRCCqrDK_8atgBUSJACnib3l9SKQC-kyFA9wH1zV2ZJBI5900TfJQyKk1IZUmvl3uRoC6jPw_wcB&is=REG&m=Y&Q=&A=details

I like the fact that its specifically designed for camera safety instead of just a big bag with room for a camera to flop around. I'll have to play with one in person... I tend to prefer heavier, canvas-type skins for abrasion and durability. How does this bag perform in that aspect?

curtis73
9/1/15 10:44 p.m.
calteg wrote:
curtis73 wrote: The Kelty Flyway looks awesome... but I can't find it anywhere so I suppose it has been discontinued?
I consulted the wife, we bought them from zappos last year. I believe we got the 35L size

Zappos doesn't have them. Couldn't find them on Amazon either. I sent an email to Kelty to ask them what its successor is if they have one.

curtis73
9/1/15 10:58 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote: Check out https://www.duluthpack.com/ Made in Minnesota for 133 years.

Very nice bags... is there a less expensive way of getting one? Price kinda puts them out of the running.

ZacAutox
ZacAutox New Reader
9/1/15 11:03 p.m.

I recently picked up a Timbuk2 Rogue for light travel, mostly for laptop and work stuff. Love it, but organization can be hard as its basically one giant void.

I have a friend that swears by his Mission Workshop backpack (missionworkshop.com). It's really nice but really expensive.

And I've got an Kelty Redwing 3100 from several years ago. Great, but a bit on the large size as a carryon these days.

skierd
skierd SuperDork
9/4/15 2:25 a.m.

In reply to curtis73:

So far so good, I've only had it for a few months but use it weekly for work and its held up great. I don't check it when I fly, always a carry on. I've also used it sans camera for a flyout fishing trip and stored my sleeping bag and pad in the camera portion, clothes in the top half.

92dxman
92dxman Dork
9/10/15 9:52 a.m.

I have a Timbuk2 Custom Messenger Bag I would be willing to part with on the cheap. Its one of the larger ones (not sure of the exact cubic size). It's almost brand new and i've only used it a few times. Let me know if you are interested.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UltraDork
9/10/15 5:52 p.m.

I have a Kelty flyaway as well, if you have a Dicks Sporting Goods they usually have one hanging in the store. I love its shape, versatility and price. Comparable to much more expensive ones.

curtis73
9/19/15 11:36 a.m.

I have been having a terrible time finding a Flyway. They aren't listed on Kelty's website and even Amazon doesn't have any.

I did hit a yard sale today and found an EMS Summit 4500w. Its a women's pack and its a bit too big (73 Liters) to be a carry-on, but it might work if its not too full and I use the compression straps. My only fear is the straps are all very dangle-y and there are a lot of them, so I should likely have a nylon duffel to stuff it into in case I need to check it.

Best part, it was $10. Worst case, I keep it for non-flight trips. Best case, I can make it fit as a carry-on and it will suffice for all of the above. I will still look for a Flyway, but I at least have a potential solution.

curtis73
9/19/15 2:03 p.m.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nF1qBIZeKWdF9KbqNOP0cCRnZDqIK7EbEfSL0mgH4M8CJ8mxe5jZ40qeQdEW3D8X