1 ... 15 16 17 18 19
Crxpilot
Crxpilot HalfDork
11/27/23 5:24 p.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

I'd like it unless you have another taker.  I have kid wrists and have one of his Seiko 5 brothers I know my straps will fit.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/27/23 5:26 p.m.

In reply to Crxpilot :

It's all yours. Send me your address and I'll drop it in the mail. 

Crxpilot
Crxpilot HalfDork
11/27/23 5:28 p.m.

Thanks so much!

Woody (Forum Supportum)
11/27/23 6:30 p.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

Would anybody like this Seiko 5?

I bought it off eBay a couple of years ago. I thought this would be a useful dial for me when I'm checking pulses at work, but at 37mm, it's too small for both my wrist and my eyes. Nothing super special here. No hacking, no handwinding. It has a tiny crown and cheap NATO-ish (but not really) strap. Day of the week reads in English or Arabic, your choice. It has kept perfect time from the moment I set it, to the moment that I put it on my wrist and snapped this picture. 

If you want it (Bonus Points if you're going to mod it), call dibs here in this thread, then send me a message with your address and I'll drop it in the mail. No box, no papers... maybe a padded envelope if I can find one down in the basement. 

I can no longer edit my original post, but this has been claimed.   It's going to CRXpilot. 

Gary
Gary UberDork
11/27/23 7:17 p.m.

The not able to edit "improvement" is an annoyance. Why?

Hoondavan
Hoondavan Dork
11/27/23 8:22 p.m.
Gary said:

There's a thread on the "update." Apparently it had to do with a Canoe hijacking accounts and going in and editing/deleting old posts.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
11/27/23 9:08 p.m.
Gary said:

I get it, but I'd like a slightly longer window of opportunity to make a small (or significant) change. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
12/17/23 10:27 a.m.

Is there one company that's known for making the highest quality, most secure springbars, or is OEM just the default answer here?

j_tso
j_tso Dork
1/14/24 4:58 p.m.

Looks like I need to put new seals on my Citizen bullhead, condensation formed inside the crystal from walking in and out of the cold.

Seiko makes bars with a fat outer sleeve for their old SKX series dive watches in 20 and 22mm widths. Link

chknhwk
chknhwk Dork
1/17/24 8:36 a.m.

My favorite but needs serviced in a horrible way - I just haven't had the money to send it out yet... Plus since I bought it on eBay (verified, mind you) I'm worried they'll ship it back and say it's not original, lol. I'm a huge Hamilton fan and want to buy about four more. 

Hamilton, Spirit of Liberty:

chknhwk
chknhwk Dork
1/17/24 8:45 a.m.
Javelin said:

Anybody interested in any of these?

I think that Invicta on the top left is the first Invicta I've seen that I actually like! I've never really liked them or their designs but that one is cool. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/17/24 10:59 a.m.

Suggestions for a quality skeleton watch in the $500 range? 

Doesn't even have to be specific watches, even just good brands to look at.

BadBug
BadBug GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/17/24 11:26 a.m.

My first analog-style Casio G-shock. Model GAS100-1A. (Excuse the hirsute wrists ;-) A seriously good watch for the money.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
1/17/24 11:29 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

These days there aren't many name-brand Swiss watches with mechanical movements for under $500 -- except for Swatch.  It's hard to find skeletonized Swiss watches for under $1,000.

The big Japanese brands (Seiko/Orient, Citizen/Bulova, Casio) have plenty of watches available under $500, but not many skeletonized options.  Of those, I think Bulova offers the most skeletons (Futuro, Sutton, Aerojet, etc).

Beyond the major Swiss and Japanese brands there are thousands of watch brands--large (Timex, Invicta, Stuhrling) and small--made primarily in china and sold in department stores and online.  Prices are all over the place, quality control is inconsistent, and after-sale service is often non-existent, so it's hard to make recommendations in this very large segment of the discount watch market.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/17/24 12:01 p.m.

Good to know, I can do $1k or a bit more without an issue. I just don't want to spend $250-300 on something like an AVI-8 and then be super disappointed with it.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/17/24 12:03 p.m.
z31maniac said:

I have a brand new, in the box, Earnshaw skeleton I'd sell you cheap. It's gorgeous. Full disclosure, the first one I bought broke less than a month into owning it (the little wind spring snapped in the middle) and they replaced it with this one. I made sure it worked in the box and left it there instead of wearing it. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/17/24 12:57 p.m.
Javelin said:
z31maniac said:

I have a brand new, in the box, Earnshaw skeleton I'd sell you cheap. It's gorgeous. Full disclosure, the first one I bought broke less than a month into owning it (the little wind spring snapped in the middle) and they replaced it with this one. I made sure it worked in the box and left it there instead of wearing it. 

Pics or link? So far I found one Bulova I liked and the Orient brand seems to all be $2k+.

And for instance I looked at Casio and a search for "Skeleton" on their site didn't yield much. But then I noticed a bunch of skeleton-style watches, they just don't use that terminology.

j_tso
j_tso Dork
1/17/24 1:47 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

Here's one from Fossil for $100.

There are also some Seiko modders out there making their own.

Being quartz, wouldn't a skeleton Casio not have much to look at?

Closest I think is this:

Javelin
1/17/24 1:51 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

Literally took these right meow. It still has the plastic covers on it. It's "tuxedo black" iirc. 

Javelin
1/17/24 1:54 p.m.

This is the one I think:

https://thomas-earnshaw.com/collections/longitude/products/es-8006-05-longitude

Mine is from 2022, so it might have different details/colors. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
1/17/24 2:17 p.m.

I'm tempted by the Seiko 5 Sports Super Cub Limited Edition, because I'm a sucker for Honda stuff and it's just so stupid and I miss my Super Cub.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/17/24 3:21 p.m.
Javelin said:

This is the one I think:

https://thomas-earnshaw.com/collections/longitude/products/es-8006-05-longitude

Mine is from 2022, so it might have different details/colors. 

Thanks for the pics and the link! Let me think about it. 

I went perusing their site and saw the sale on Turbillion watches. This one really catches me eye.

https://thomas-earnshaw.com/products/invincible-tourbillon-tonneau-limited-edition-es-8281-05

Javelin
1/17/24 6:38 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

They make good stuff in other brands (the parent owns Spinnaker as well and I *love* my watch from them) and at least stands behind their stuff.

If you're interested in mine, I'd let it go for 100 bones plus shipping. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/18/24 2:13 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

Thanks, I looked at it some more. It's not really my style. I'm not really a fan of gold. 

As far as all the suggestions for brands and stuff to look at, you guys are really sending me down a rabbit hole!

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/18/24 4:16 p.m.

Does an ST1701 automatic movement mean anything to anyone? 

The company Original Grain makes some cool looking watches.

1 ... 15 16 17 18 19

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Y9OKprrPD2rKz3XvSPa1mKVoqUMFvmWNjIXh0LztGwzgy2MjYvzF5836dW1Fx55S