1 2
Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/11/14 9:20 a.m.
tuna55 wrote:
The0retical wrote:
tuna55 wrote: Installed. Seems to work well, although I am not sure the alarm is loud enough or that the motion sensor is sensitive enough. It all works, and was easy to set up. We get instant text messages when the alarm goes off or is turned off, and that's cool. There is also an app so you can arm or disarm the system in the driveway which will come in handy when carrying armfuls of kids and groceries.
Nice. Last time I looked at that system it didn't have the IOT integration that I wanted, that was kind if my poorly stated point in the last post. I might have to reconsider now.
I do not understand what IOT integration means

Internet of things? I just googled it.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
8/11/14 9:31 a.m.
Slippery wrote:
tuna55 wrote:
The0retical wrote:
tuna55 wrote: Installed. Seems to work well, although I am not sure the alarm is loud enough or that the motion sensor is sensitive enough. It all works, and was easy to set up. We get instant text messages when the alarm goes off or is turned off, and that's cool. There is also an app so you can arm or disarm the system in the driveway which will come in handy when carrying armfuls of kids and groceries.
Nice. Last time I looked at that system it didn't have the IOT integration that I wanted, that was kind if my poorly stated point in the last post. I might have to reconsider now.

I did too! I still don't get it.

The0retical
The0retical HalfDork
8/11/14 9:19 p.m.
tuna55 wrote:
Slippery wrote:
tuna55 wrote:
The0retical wrote:
I did too! I still don't get it.

Sorry it doesn't seem like I thought the posts though far enough.

Basically IOT integration allows the device to access your home network and communicate with you over the internet.

For example my Nest thermostat. I can set the temperature for minimum and maximum temperatures when I'm away. As I start home from work I access it from my phone and tell it to take the house down from 85 to 78. This way I save a bit of money cooling the house with an irregular schedule which isn't conducive to a normal thermostat.

I wanted a security system that did something similar and is self monitored. So if the alarm goes off I don't need someone to call me then the police. I just need a warning on my phone that a window or door opened and I call the police. I also wanted the ability to arm and disarm from my phone.

Last time I looked Simplisafe didn't have either of those abilities so I went down the rabbit hole of other systems before giving up.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
8/11/14 11:27 p.m.

for thermostat you can do that without a security system https://nest.com/ costs a bit up front though... around here the power company will pay for it as long as you are the home owner...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
x5dUs3QVEO6320Add55PCODYJ3YWLbda1wiahJTVFDmykHvidpVyBarol1mp6Q7o