Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/13/17 8:53 p.m.

Anyone has any experience with these? Good bad vs Onan?

Costco Honeywell genset

Thanks. 

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
9/13/17 9:05 p.m.

The Generac version has good reviews at Northern Tool, so it should be a good one. I'll bet the Onan one is a bit more $$$$, so the savings may be worth it.

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/13/17 9:50 p.m.

I'm considering NT's Generac 7000kw for future storm issues. I'm currently borrowing a 5500 kw version and a little more juice would be nice. Things to really consider, fuel economy and noise. The one currently outside at wall is fairly deafening. It is an 11hp B&S I think.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
9/13/17 10:01 p.m.

I researched standby generators several years back and Generac would be my go to. Natural gas fueled w/ automatic transfer switch. It could only add to your property value. 

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/14/17 10:50 a.m.

In reply to fasted58 :

IF you had natural gas in your neighborhood. Not sure if putting a tank in just for a genset would be worth it.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
9/14/17 2:03 p.m.
hobiercr said:

In reply to fasted58 :

IF you had natural gas in your neighborhood. Not sure if putting a tank in just for a genset would be worth it.

Although they are dual fuel it would be NG only. 

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/14/17 3:33 p.m.

The open gens that sit in a tube frame are loud, these are pretty well insulated. They run at about 70db. I had an Onan 13k before, but I cant get the Onan 22kw from Costco at the moment. 

Regarding the fuel, it will be propane. 500 gallon tank buried in the backyard. The tank is no big deal to install. I wish I had ng supply at the house, much cheaper and endless supply. 

I just topped off 200 gallons on the 500 gallon tank and propane is pretty expensive down here in Fl. I am not sure it is due to Irma or what. NG is about $1/gallon here whereas propane was $4.65/gallon. 

I am going to do a bit more research and possibly pull the trigger in a couple of weeks. Thanks!

Mark57
Mark57 New Reader
9/15/17 6:11 a.m.

Generac has over 70% of the home generator market, good support from dealers, reasonable cost to repair when needed and good parts availability. Just make sure if you are a DIY installer that you install it by the book, your warranty coverage (and your life) depends on it. Yes, I am a dealer and yes, I have refused to work on improperly installed units until the issues are corrected.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XxfrEGUlB5TX2cuSXWRNaR0t7Wz8PBS2VScHiExt1S0uBiIRt6o3YFEKA4baQ8RU