Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/19/24 9:46 a.m.

My wife is currently in the hospital.  She took a fall at work and was injured.  She fractured her greater trochanter.  Go ahead, look it up.  I'll wait.

I leave work and rush (ok, maybe not rush) to her side.  Soon it is 7pm.  I have not had lunch and the wife is not allowed food because of possible surgery the next day.  The nurses decide that "Yes Mr Noddaz, we can get you a sandwich!"

Yep.  Sure can.

For size reference, that is an eight oz. can of ginger ale and a saltine cracker packet in the picture.  The mustard packet was almost too much mustard.

At least she is being taken care of pretty well.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
9/19/24 9:53 a.m.

Well, understand patients are under duress and not performing a lot of sweaty physical labor, so a dinner roll turkey club would suffice.  Say thank you for the free soda and console Mrs.  Noddaz.

Get well soon.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/19/24 10:00 a.m.

If it really was a greater trochanter it would have had the decency to not break. Seriously though that sounds awful, hopefully the recovery isn't too rough.  

I assume not even the best of insurance plans cover a full sized can of soda or sandwich. 

camopaint0707
camopaint0707 HalfDork
9/19/24 10:04 a.m.

When we had our daughter the hosptial food was actually quite good.  

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/19/24 10:04 a.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

Disney insurance kept me fed ok when I had heart failure. I was on a low sodium diet, and on some pretty heavy restrictions...so maybe I was on the wall anyhow, but I don't remember wanting for much. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
9/19/24 10:15 a.m.
camopaint0707 said:

When we had our daughter the hosptial food was actually quite good.  

I've had the misfortune to have dined in a hospital every so often, and I too found the food to be better than expected.  I'm guessing Mr. Noddaz just missed closing time for the cafeteria?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/19/24 11:43 a.m.

For a few years now I've worked a job that also services the food service industry.  I have a few hospitals as customers.  

You can thank HR for some of the high food quality.  Especially for the huge, Downtown Medical Centers.  The bigger the hospital, the better the food court.  I'm not exactly commenting on the food taken to the hospital room but more the walk in food court.  The medical industry has a lot of competition for talent.  These huge hospitals are not easy to leave for a lunch break given that the walk to get out of the facility is significant.  

To the average person the food is usually reasonably priced, and the genuine employees often get a further discount.  I'm not implying the food is some sort of exotic very high end quality but the value is usually quite good.  

Having been in the actually kitchens, they are typically exceptionally maintained/clean.  Also common for the kitchen workers to be a higher quality vs some typical cheap restaurants. 

The smaller the hospital, the lesser the quality overall.  

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
9/19/24 11:51 a.m.

Around here there are some hospitals owned by the Adventist group or the 7th Day Adventist's snd they take their diets a little more seriously than others.  Usually the cafeteria food is decent. 

johndej
johndej UltraDork
9/19/24 11:53 a.m.

Yeah - I'll say when our boys were in the NICU, the food was very good.

I've got a buddy who cooks for a hospital/nursing home and he prefers it to some of the other hot shot restaurants he's been at in the past.

Brotus7
Brotus7 Dork
9/19/24 1:22 p.m.

Not a fan of hospital food the food. But the song is from one my my favorite, underrated bands!

Hospital Food by The Eels

Hope your wife mends quickly

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/19/24 1:42 p.m.

We have several large hospitals. Food court and cafeteria food are generally decent. They are mostly run by outside vendors who rent space from the hospital. The variety of choices means any vendor who doesn't serve decent food doesn't last long. 

What the patients are served is appalling, especially at the VA. That food is prepared by whatever company bids to do it at the cheapest cost per plate. It is prepared by the lowest-paid employees in the building and it shows. I wouldn't feed it to prisoners. 

The last couple of times my wife was in, I brought her meals from outside. 

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
9/19/24 2:34 p.m.

The hospital my mom was in for her hiatal hernia a few years ago had a serious cafeteria with many selections.  She had complications from anesthesia and I ended up there a few more nights, something different every time.

I have no idea what her options were, she was quite sick and dizzy so she didn't really care.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/19/24 3:18 p.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

If it really was a greater trochanter it would have had the decency to not break. Seriously though that sounds awful, hopefully the recovery isn't too rough.  

I assume not even the best of insurance plans cover a full sized can of soda or sandwich.

Geoffrey
Geoffrey New Reader
9/19/24 7:11 p.m.

I was hospitalized for 3 days, bleeding stomach ulcer and the did not feed me for the first day and a half.

The hospital food was not bad.  That first turkey sandwich?  What a relief to have calories again.

Now the nursing home I spent two weeks in after hip replacement?  The food there was awful!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/19/24 8:55 p.m.

I've been in the hospital enough times to never again be able to eat Jello again.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Z92SdnD16XQy4WbF0Vvrfu1KVhsXI2LzZ3jHnxARBerPz5ffMebmx58NXiDz3gMu