1 2
Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
5/19/10 7:43 p.m.

My township left a present at the end of my driveway...

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/19/10 7:46 p.m.

What was your raw time vs. index?

mtn
mtn SuperDork
5/19/10 7:47 p.m.

That looks like a tight course

fiesta54
fiesta54 New Reader
5/19/10 9:23 p.m.

pure win

Lesley
Lesley SuperDork
5/19/10 9:28 p.m.

LOL... have you ever been driving on the highway and come across a line of cones, and subconsciously move to slalom... before you catch yourself?

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
5/19/10 9:31 p.m.

you stop yourself from slaloming?

nickel_dime
nickel_dime Dork
5/20/10 7:54 a.m.

At the exit gate on the base I work at they set up a slalom course out of those plasic barriers every once in a while. They want to slow down traffic but it just makes me go faster.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/20/10 8:04 a.m.

Last year, the town gave me this to use for a week (I may actually be the reason that it showed up in the first place):

Photobucket

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
5/20/10 9:12 a.m.

I hear ya GPS, this was the view out my office window one day last summer:

its hard to tell, but it was sectioning off the parking lot, it made kind of a tight S with a large C at the end...would been awesome if you went start to finish to start

Tetzuoe
Tetzuoe Reader
5/20/10 10:18 a.m.
Woody wrote: Last year, the town gave me this to use for a week (I may actually be the reason that it showed up in the first place):

we have one of those around here that controls a stop light at the bottom of the hill, stops you if you are going over 35 to let people into the crosswalk (there's no street its just for foot traffic).

Super late at night I have to stop myself from thinking "this is a fun game" and trying to get through before it changes.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
5/20/10 10:23 a.m.
Lesley wrote: LOL... have you ever been driving on the highway and come across a line of cones, and subconsciously move to slalom... before you catch yourself?

Guilty.

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
5/20/10 4:50 p.m.

First thing I said after seeing the pic and before reading anything was "Oooooh!"

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/20/10 5:29 p.m.

My wife works in the paving industry as an estimator. One developer was proposing some chicanes as a "traffic calming" device. She told him he was nuts and that people would go out of their way to go down that street so they can see how quick they can get through. He thought she was crazy.

I asked her where the chicanes were going to be...

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Reader
5/20/10 5:56 p.m.
Woody wrote: Last year, the town gave me this to use for a week (I may actually be the reason that it showed up in the first place): Photobucket

Why the Berkley does E.T. need to buckle up?

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 HalfDork
5/20/10 7:02 p.m.
nickel_dime wrote: At the exit gate on the base I work at they set up a slalom course out of those plasic barriers every once in a while. They want to slow down traffic but it just makes me go faster.

Almost got in trouble for that at the base I work at. Entered in at the speed limit of the road, hard on brakes late after a couple barrels then slow and easy to the guard. Guard threatened ticket next time I did that.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 HalfDork
5/20/10 7:07 p.m.
NYG95GA wrote:
Lesley wrote: LOL... have you ever been driving on the highway and come across a line of cones, and subconsciously move to slalom... before you catch yourself?
Guilty.

A couple months ago I was driving to a work site and there was road construction. They had those orange plastic posts down the middle of the road just spaced enough that if I had my Miata I could have weaved between them it at the posted speed. Went about a mile and too early for the workers to be there. Thought seriously about trying a couple out. The fact I had passengers that didn't understand in a rented econobox kept me from it.

porksboy
porksboy Dork
5/20/10 7:11 p.m.
wlkelley3 wrote:
NYG95GA wrote:
Guilty.
A couple months ago I was driving to a work site and there was road construction. They had those orange plastic posts down the middle of the road just spaced enough that if I had my Miata I could have weaved between them it at the posted speed. Went about a mile and too early for the workers to be there. Thought seriously about trying a couple out. The fact I had passengers that didn't understand in a rented econobox kept me from it.

Rental car AND passengers to scare. I woulda done it.

barnca
barnca Reader
5/20/10 9:00 p.m.

always wondered if those radar trailers read triple digits

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/20/10 10:57 p.m.

not sure.. the one that shows up here occasionally never seems to read anything

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
5/20/10 11:03 p.m.

Next time I get a moble radar, there will be a line in the road 1/4 mile away, and an 1/8 if you dont want too much (possible)trouble

Josh
Josh Dork
5/21/10 6:29 a.m.
SilverFleet wrote: Why the Berkley does E.T. need to buckle up?

Those signs were donated to the state of Connecticut about 10 years ago by Progressive insurance as a tie-in with their then-current ad campaign. Apparently, it's just a Connecticut thing. I knew had seen them before somewhere, I thought it was in MA, but it probably was on my way through CT.

http://www.ctmuseumquest.com/?page_id=485

Tetzuoe
Tetzuoe Reader
5/21/10 6:40 a.m.

I have heard they just read "--" when you go over 90. Never been able to test that though.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 HalfDork
5/21/10 9:52 a.m.

On my way to school, minimal traffic (read: none) i had the miata.

Traffic cone slalom on the highway.

You see where this is going.

It was the first time i went through a slalom where the enterance speed was 60MPH and by the end was over 75

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
5/21/10 10:02 a.m.
Tetzuoe wrote: I have heard they just read "--" when you go over 90. Never been able to test that though.

We have one locally on I-75 attached perminently to an expressway overpass leading into a blind curve. I have previously confirmed that it reads "--" when challanged.

mndsm
mndsm HalfDork
5/21/10 1:19 p.m.

Depends on the one. I've seen them read 120.... and the one that is a permanent fixture by my house just gets real angry and blinks above 60. That's probably good to know, since that one is posted on a cloverleaf, and at some point, I will run out of mechanical grip.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
p51joGkTVIvlkkGAt7CiEQ8u62XKmoRatBDksVSbgi0NjmKQJhjyaTPxHnwb4x8c