Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/20/23 9:35 a.m.

TIL there was a pitfall II

Guess i'm off to eBay

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/20/23 10:49 a.m.

I never had an Atari as a kid, but my cousins did. I was so jealous. We got a VIC-20 instead, and that probably served me better over the long run :)

I pre-ordered a 2600+ when it was announced and picked up a few vintage cartridges on eBay. I haven't really got into modern gaming - I did get a PS2 to play Gran Turismo and I played Doom a lot in university - so the fact that there's more realism available doesn't really matter. I want an easy-to-play short distraction, not a commitment. I'm looking forward to Ms Pac Man and Asteroids and my wife insisted on Frogger. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/20/23 11:55 a.m.

Kinda bummed I can’t find a 2600+ locally or we’d have one running at Thanksgiving. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/20/23 1:12 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

They haven't shipped yet. Estimated ship time is the first week of December. So nobody will have one for Thanksgiving :(

David S. Wallens
11/20/23 1:32 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Ah. Amazon listed like the week after Thanksgiving. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
11/21/23 2:03 p.m.

If you guys are looking for something you can go buy right now, there's also this thing: Atari Gamestation Pro

This is even more of an "emulation box" than the Atari 2600+. It plays multiple games that are built-in, and I think you can side-load game ROMs via Micro SD card. There are people over at AtariAge messing with it to make tweaks to the ROM list and firmware, but at $100, I'd rather spend a little more and get the ability to play carts. But YMMV here. It's definitely a step up from the AtGames Atari Flashback devices. 

David S. Wallens
11/21/23 2:25 p.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

Thanks but it doesn’t have the red button....

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/21/23 2:48 p.m.

I mean, if you're seriously about an Atari and want a loaner for a bit... and feel like hitting i4 in the next 48 hours, I can put you up on game(s).....red button and all. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
11/21/23 3:10 p.m.

Totally understand! CX-40 or nothin'!

(I totally use a Sega Genesis controller though) 

David S. Wallens
11/21/23 7:48 p.m.
Mndsm said:

I mean, if you're seriously about an Atari and want a loaner for a bit... and feel like hitting i4 in the next 48 hours, I can put you up on game(s).....red button and all. 

Thank you for the offer, but I think we’ll be busy enough for Thanksgiving. Next year!

llysgennad
llysgennad HalfDork
9/24/24 11:51 p.m.

Circling back to this, did anyone buy it? How is it? Best thing ever?

I saw Lego and Minecraft versions of this in Target the other day. You can customize the little area by the cartridge slot.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KBbVgtY15lLcHlooVDyTAGJBm37D3nFqQgxkZ28A0jCyGi4PkUd4ganwExybtfk1