1 2
JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
3/24/17 1:20 p.m.
Ian F wrote:
RX Reven' wrote: CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!!!
Paging JG! Might have another Live Weds "let's do something different today" subject.

Yeah. It's about time for another "Let's not tell the insurance company about this one" show.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
3/24/17 1:49 p.m.

on the topic of air cannons, we made one back college to use to shoot golf balls, except one of my buddies was positive on what size we needed for the golf balls to fit, it ended up being too small but that didnt stop us from shooting everything else we could find to fit in the barrel.

photo 201420_10150466865505564_6752785_o.jpg

it had a metal shrader valve on the end of the 'air reservoir' which let you fill it with ~120 psi. we also ended up putting a 12" rod on the ball valve to make it easier to open quickly. It was able to put a small flat blade screwdriver through the side of a friends metal building. He probably would have been more mad if he hadnt been so impressed.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UltraDork
3/24/17 2:35 p.m.

We built a rail gun in college. It would lob a pinball ball about half a mile.

I bet that nerf dart would fit down a 20ga barrel. I wonder if they fit in the shell too....

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
3/24/17 3:42 p.m.
singleslammer wrote:
Brian wrote: Interesting. How about the bigger nerf mega darts? Those might be more robust for better durability and a heavier projectile carrying more energy.
I have one of the cheap pistols that shoot those. I hot glued the top shut to give it some weight. Way more accurate, way more painful.

Imagine that out of the giant nerfed sniper, with about a 15 foot distance time, and explaining to his mother that he begged you to shoot him.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/24/17 4:26 p.m.
RossD wrote:
G_Body_Man wrote: Try a section on 4" diameter steel pipe, a butane torch, and a can of non-chlorinated (super important that it's non-chlorinated) brake cleaner. DIY flame cannon .
Aqua Net hair spray has a lot of propellant in it. That was our choice fuel for potato cannons.

My extensive testing of potato gun propellants agrees with your assessment. I'd estimate mine had about a 300 yard range using hair spray. Great for artillery barrages against unsavory neighbors...Not that it was ever used for that, of course

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
3/24/17 6:06 p.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote:
Ian F wrote:
RX Reven' wrote: CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!!!
Paging JG! Might have another Live Weds "let's do something different today" subject.
Yeah. It's about time for another "Let's not tell the insurance company about this one" show.

I feel like that has a Web series of its own begging for creation.

akamcfly
akamcfly Dork
3/24/17 6:44 p.m.
ZacAutox
ZacAutox New Reader
3/24/17 7:08 p.m.
Furious_E wrote:
RossD wrote: Aqua Net hair spray has a lot of propellant in it. That was our choice fuel for potato cannons.
My extensive testing of potato gun propellants agrees with your assessment. I'd estimate mine had about a 300 yard range using hair spray. Great for artillery barrages against unsavory neighbors...Not that it was ever used for that, of course

We used propane. One of the small cylinders with the brass pencil torches. Stick the tip into chamber, and open the valve for a second. Worked great.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/24/17 8:02 p.m.

In reply to ZacAutox:

We used propane too. A blow gun on the end of piece of hose lets you fill all kinds of nifty things with propane. At one point we were sailing little Hindenburgs around the shop.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/24/17 9:35 p.m.
akamcfly wrote: https://www.youtube.com/embed/BrtBc-9pQv4

I was just about to post this. :)

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4WHpjtVSWdACmKgzhCzKw2LhsgurDYFQSCSYsGkOlYhI0cnJKcU4UnTA2vtSXnzk