1 2 3 4
DrBoost
DrBoost HalfDork
10/31/09 6:38 a.m.
dyintorace wrote: Any updates Dr. Boost?

No, no updates. I called the Sergeant and gave him the description of the truck but at that time I didn't have the plate number. Now I have the plate number but haven't called. I was talking to my neighbor across the street (she has a good vantage point). She said these folks aren't fully moved in yet and aren't living there yet. I might call the cop and ask if he's talked to anybody yet.
In some ways I want to do the 'wait till he pisses off more people, then exact clever revenge' and a part of me thinks to let it go. We'll see what happens...

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
10/31/09 9:00 a.m.
81gtv6 wrote: You could build one of these: Mailbox

Now THAT is a mailbox!

When I was a kid, we lived on a rural route way out in the sticks. Our driveway was about 1/4 mile long, so you couldn't keep a sharp eye on the mailbox. The county road crews would come through every so often to mow the roads using a big sickle bar mower, usually starting in the late spring.

The mailbox was painted dark green and was on a round fence post, early one year one of the road guys just whacked it right off with the sickle bar. My dad came home, found the damage, fixed the post and called the county road super and gave him a piece of his mind.

You guessed it, a month later it got cut off again. So my dad fixed it again with a wooden post. Then a month later, down it went again. So Pops got a piece of 4" diameter round steel pipe, sank it in concrete and painted it so from a distance it looked just like the original wood post.

About a month later, dad drives down the road on his way home and there is a tractor on the side of the road with a completely mangled sickle bar mower sticking out. The mailbox was still standing. The next day he got an enraged phone call from the road super demanding that he pay for the damaged mower, you can imagine just how far that went.

That was probably 45 years ago. About 5 years back, I drove down that country road and damn if that mailbox post isn't still there.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy Reader
10/31/09 10:45 a.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: Go take his mailbox to replace yours.

He probably has no proof either that that is actually HIS mailbox. His word versus yours, if theres no witnesses at night!

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
10/31/09 12:16 p.m.

Don't escalate things. Don't wait for him to cause more damage and make you even angrier. Pre-empt his stupidity before he causes real damage.

Call the sergeant and ask him for advice. You can be pretty certain he's dealt with this same situation numerous times, understands your concerns, and knows how you should handle things.

billy3esq
billy3esq Dork
10/31/09 12:23 p.m.
HiTempguy wrote:
Datsun1500 wrote: Go take his mailbox to replace yours.
He probably has no proof either that that is actually HIS mailbox. His word versus yours, if theres no witnesses at night!

Tearing down his mailbox would be a Federal felony. IIRC max punishment is three years in prison plus a fine not to exceed $250,000. Probably not worth the risk.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Dork
10/31/09 11:16 p.m.
f86sabjf wrote: your killing me friedgreen now get off my grass

Oh, berkeley! Here comes F86...with six Fifty calibers! Guys, I think we really need to stay out of his lawn...

f86sabjf wrote: dont even get me started on holidays

Depending on the holiday, we may be on the same page about that.

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt Reader
11/1/09 1:31 a.m.
Jensenman wrote:
81gtv6 wrote: You could build one of these: Mailbox
Now THAT is a mailbox! When I was a kid, we lived on a rural route way out in the sticks. Our driveway was about 1/4 mile long, so you couldn't keep a sharp eye on the mailbox. The county road crews would come through every so often to mow the roads using a big sickle bar mower, usually starting in the late spring. The mailbox was painted dark green and was on a round fence post, early one year one of the road guys just whacked it right off with the sickle bar. My dad came home, found the damage, fixed the post and called the county road super and gave him a piece of his mind. You guessed it, a month later it got cut off again. So my dad fixed it again with a wooden post. Then a month later, down it went again. So Pops got a piece of 4" diameter round steel pipe, sank it in concrete and painted it so from a distance it looked just like the original wood post. About a month later, dad drives down the road on his way home and there is a tractor on the side of the road with a completely mangled sickle bar mower sticking out. The mailbox was still standing. The next day he got an enraged phone call from the road super demanding that he pay for the damaged mower, you can imagine just how far that went. That was probably 45 years ago. About 5 years back, I drove down that country road and damn if that mailbox post isn't still there.

Hahhh. I take it they didn't get a cent out of your pops?

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt Reader
11/1/09 1:39 a.m.

Now I don't know how this would work legally, since you can pretty much get your ass sued off for scowling at somebody, but I remember that someone on one of the Jeep boards lived next door to something (I can't remember what) and people would just park all over his front lawn like it was a parking lot. He called, the owners didn't care, the authorities wouldn't do anything about it. So he gathered a fair amount of large rocks (small boulders) and placed them around the perimeter of his lawn. Didn't look that bad, kind of how some people in the Southwest have rocks in their lawn instead of grass. Since nobody with anything less than a well-built rockcrawler could get over them, no more cars on his lawn.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lgRrnQECwxdOebhL6HkEDsqcijCh0GAz6UBzdP1Myxu3v4LjkhuQnPK8Rz72teW5