oldsaw
oldsaw Dork
5/14/10 4:19 p.m.

It's time to tap the collective brain-power of the GRM crew.

My Dad purchased a spanking new 2010 Chev Equinox LT AWD last fall, has decided he doesn't like it, wants to sell it outright and buy a "real" car - no trade-ins.

Neither KBB not Edmunds have any re-sale value on the vehicle; it's too new. Is there any insight on how an individual establishes private seller value when only dealers are selling used vehicles?

For the record, this is a cross-over stickered at $26K with less the 10K miles SUV and driven by the proverbial old codger who doesn't know about vehicle abuse. Not bad, but not what he was expecting or wants.

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
5/14/10 6:48 p.m.

Weeeeell, probably not what he wants to hear but the 2010 used xterra I bought a couple months ago sold new in oct for 29,xxx (stickered for 32,xxx) and was traded for 23k in Jan, then I paid 23,7 for it.

So, not really what you asked, but I think to determine value on that they looked at the 09s and added a few dollars

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
5/14/10 7:14 p.m.

Use the guides like edmunds.com and look at the '09 models, factor in your low mileage and that should get you close to an appropriate number. Remember, the big depreciation hit come in the first year.

ep3_lol
ep3_lol New Reader
5/14/10 7:26 p.m.
jrw1621 wrote: Use the guides like edmunds.com and look at the '09 models, factor in your low mileage and that should get you close to an appropriate number. Remember, the big depreciation hit come in the first moment you sign for the car.

Fixed that for ya

grimmelshanks
grimmelshanks Reader
5/14/10 7:27 p.m.

start high and let the buyer talk you down a little bit so they feel like they won something. i say start at like 25

oldsaw
oldsaw Dork
5/14/10 8:55 p.m.
grimmelshanks wrote: start high and let the buyer talk you down a little bit so they feel like they won something. i say start at like 25

I'm thinking along these lines, too.

There is a huge difference between the '09 and '10 model years, it's not an option to compare them. The latest model is far more highly rated than any of its' predecessors.

The depreciation started the moment pen touched paper and it's a reality he'll have to deal with. The only saving grace is that the Equinox seems a popular vehiclua in his area, impossible to find as used and this one has a couple of extra features like remote start and 8-way adjustable seats as some icing.

Thanks for the input, everyone!

And keep the ideas coming, too.

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
5/14/10 9:22 p.m.

Ahh, yes, I had not considered that the equinox was redesigned for this year.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BlNGlXV7YKB2OAJSBHdEqs9OHC31Y1du5QGK2jtYsbK0Zvqvvg4ur12S0Pia5NLk