1 ... 3 4 5 6
Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
8/30/23 10:03 a.m.

Looks like we lost power about an hour ago.  Last picture I got from my security cameras showed no real damage other than the cover being ripped off my little boat. Haven't heard from my lady this morning,  she's a nurse at the VA and was mandated to stay at work.  Saw a video from the local Facebook group showing yes trees and power lines blown over for about five miles along the road. 

jgrewe
jgrewe Dork
8/30/23 10:11 a.m.

My neighbor sent me this earlier. He can't tell if it was getting in the front doors. The bridges are closed until further notice so I'm just sitting here petting my cat watching all the channels. I see I have to rehang a shutter at a minimum.

For people that know the area, that is on St Pete Bch on Blind Pass Rd.

Thank goodness she sucked in a big swath of dry air about 3 am.  Sort of dampened her approach.  We are NW of Tallahassee.  Not a big deal.  We didn't lose power.  But as you go east more outages.   From the center of Tallahassee going east its worse.  

Reports are I-75 closed near GA border with power lines across the highway.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
8/30/23 10:18 a.m.

In reply to jgrewe :

Yeah, the cops have all the bridges to the barrier islands blocked off from what I last saw.  Not surprised its bad out there

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/30/23 11:11 a.m.

Power went out but came back an hour or so later. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/30/23 11:44 a.m.

Surprisingly quiet here in DeLand. Very little rain, breezy. Where my house is situated, we get less wind, but when I look at the tall trees they are working pretty hard, gusts probably in the thirties. 
Radar shows that in the last hour a heavy band swept up across Orlando and offshore around New Smyrna. 

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/30/23 12:45 p.m.

From NPR:

"Withlacoochee River Electric Cooperative has shut down power in parts of Hernando County in western Florida, tweeting Wednesday morning that "due to major coastal flooding, we have determined that power needs to be disconnected to certain areas for safety reasons."

It says power will remain out in Hernando Beach, Bayport, Weeki Wachee, Pine Island, and Aripeka "for an undetermined amount of time" due to safety concerns posed by flooding."

and how about a 7ft storm surge in 1 hour!

"A river gauge in Steinhatchee — which is located where Florida’s peninsula meets the panhandle — measured an increase from 1 foot to 8 feet in just an hour, the National Weather Service in Tallahassee reported."

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/30/23 12:58 p.m.

Say what you will about duke- I heard a transformer explode at about 11:30. Lost power. Less than an hour later had two trucks in front of my house and as of now I've had power back for almost 10min. They didn't berkeley around. 

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
8/30/23 1:12 p.m.

Here's downtown Punta Gorda, the town that is our southern neighbor.  

All in all, for us, not a big deal, thank god. I know that isn't the case a few hundred miles to the north though.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/30/23 6:10 p.m.

How's everyone doing?

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
8/30/23 6:17 p.m.
Javelin said:

How's everyone doing?

Delightfully bored. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
8/30/23 6:21 p.m.

This was Bayshore Blvd in Tampa, looking out from Tampa General.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/30/23 6:30 p.m.

Someone in my neighborhood was out mowing their lawn a little bit ago. Like... it was hurricaning 3 hours ago. Lawn can wait. 

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/30/23 6:52 p.m.

It's raining here. Current wind speeds are 9 mph with gusts into the 20s. The beaches are seeing gusts into the 50s. 

The storm is still 100 miles southwest of us coming past Savannah GA and on track to run right across the top of us. 

The beaches will probably get a little beat up but we should be OK 20 miles inland. I'll be surprised if we lose power. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/30/23 7:00 p.m.

Nonevent here in Jacksonville for me at least.  Wind gust and sprinkles earlier today.  Grandma Stampie is right south of Charleston and lost power about 30 minutes ago.  Because she's out some ways that isn't unusual.

Stampie
8/30/23 8:31 p.m.

This is why I hate national media and also why my dad freaks out every hurricane that comes within 500 miles of me.  Taken from CNN's website.  Pretty sure I know where it was taken.  Looks to be right south of 95 where it crosses the St. Johns.  I've seen the same wave crashing / flooding during a windy high tide.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/30/23 8:34 p.m.
Mndsm said:

Someone in my neighborhood was out mowing their lawn a little bit ago. Like... it was hurricaning 3 hours ago. Lawn can wait. 

Sounds like something my mom would have somebody do if the grass was too tall laugh "Hurricane's over, no more excuses, that lawn needs mowing!"

Toyman!
8/30/23 9:05 p.m.
Stampie said:

This is why I hate national media and also why my dad freaks out every hurricane that comes within 500 miles of me.  Taken from CNN's website.  Pretty sure I know where it was taken.  Looks to be right south of 95 where it crosses the St. Johns.  I've seen the same wave crashing / flooding during a windy high tide.

We had a small tornado touch down about a mile from my house and flip a car. I'm betting it will be all over the news by tomorrow morning. 

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
8/30/23 9:21 p.m.

I'm good in Gainesville. Mostly wind, a few inches of rain, and some debris. It looked like there were trees down and quite a few power outages but the crews were out in force fixing things quickly. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/30/23 10:00 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:
Mndsm said:

Sounds like something my mom would have somebody do if the grass was too tall laugh "Hurricane's over, no more excuses, that lawn needs mowing!"

I heard it die like 3 times too. Someone was new to the concept of hurricane soaked st. Augustine. 

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) UberDork
8/30/23 10:40 p.m.

Didn't really get any rain to speak of.  Maybe 20 mph winds.  I have some palm fronds in the yard.  No complaints considering.

Did make for a beautiful sunset...

Stampie
8/30/23 11:49 p.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/30/23 11:52 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Picture isn't working. Edit: link is working now 

If it's clear, check out the blue moon tonight. It is so bright that the sky around it is almost daytime blue. 

Stampie
8/30/23 11:57 p.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

You're fast.  I think I fixed that in like 30 seconds.  Just told someone today that the day before and the day after a hurricane are the clearest skys ever.

Toyman!
8/31/23 6:12 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Yep.

1 ... 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VOiJ6gFSN5P1GTSgAx18Z8HfBVRfNYdA1SqOuvvo5pJjPUplt1h1GPIwgwFJs2jD