1 2 3 ... 12
cwh
cwh PowerDork
10/1/16 12:19 p.m.

As I live in South Florida, this is a major concern. A very strong storm, with wind gusts up to 190mph. Still a long ways out, but who knows were it will really go. The stress level here is starting to amp up, you can just feel it. We have not had a bad one here for years, but that just makes the anticipation worse. Worst for me is that I have dear friends and customers in Jamaica and the Bahamas, both in the cone of uncertainty. Have talked to them, all preparations are being made, but so many people there live in houses that will be obliterated by a bad wind. Not a religious guy, but saying prayers for my people.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/1/16 1:41 p.m.

I bitch about snow, gonna stop now.

Hang in there, it happens every Aug - Nov.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/1/16 2:02 p.m.

I'll add my prayers to yours.

It's still too far out for us to worry about it, but I'm keeping a eye on it anyways.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
10/1/16 3:10 p.m.

Yeah, even up here towards orlando we're starting to wonder if we need to be ready.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/1/16 5:33 p.m.

It's this POS storm that kept me from getting to the Challenge

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
10/1/16 5:41 p.m.

I have been an avid hurricane tracker ever since I was a kid living in Puerto Rico. What I have learned over the years is that God hates poor people.

Hasbro
Hasbro SuperDork
10/1/16 9:10 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: I'll add my prayers to yours. It's still too far out for us to worry about it, but I'm keeping a eye on it anyways.

I think we're both safe but will breathe a little easier with solid data. I care for a 100 year old relative so that adds a bit of an edge at these times.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/1/16 10:26 p.m.

I hope it goes out to sea.. the last couple of hurricanes that formed this late seemed to beeline for the mid-atlantic

cwh
cwh PowerDork
10/2/16 8:47 a.m.

They are just so unpredictable. Some of the past tracks look like a kid dropped a strand of spaghetti. Strength will drop over Cuba and Jamaica, then nobody knows what happens next. This one is as strong as Andrew. I saw what that was like.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
10/2/16 10:03 a.m.
cwh wrote: They are just so unpredictable. Some of the past tracks look like a kid dropped a strand of spaghetti. Strength will drop over Cuba and Jamaica, then nobody knows what happens next. This one is as strong as Andrew. I saw what that was like.

Yeah, I was watching the weather and all the different paths were basically like I gave my kid a marker.

Hasbro
Hasbro SuperDork
10/2/16 1:51 p.m.

If you want to waste some time;

http://spaghettimodels.com/

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
10/2/16 7:12 p.m.

Like I said...God's going for the poor people trifecta on this one! Jamaica, Haiti AND Cuba.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
10/2/16 9:40 p.m.

Watching as well. Hoping it heads off to the NE after cuba.

GameboyRMH
10/3/16 8:44 a.m.

I wonder if this storm had a role in blocking Colombia's peace deal?

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-colombia-peace-idUSKCN12204M

The "no" camp won by 50.21 percent to 49.78 percent. Voter turnout was only 37 percent, perhaps partly owing to torrential rain through the country.

Previous track:

That country it's brushing towards the end is Colombia.

cwh
cwh PowerDork
10/3/16 9:01 a.m.

Gameboy- Has Barbados been affected at all?

GameboyRMH
10/3/16 9:05 a.m.

On Tuesday, the storm was projected to hit us early Wednesday (when I was supposed to be leaving for the Challenge) and the airport and all businesses were set to close. Big panic on Tuesday evening with epic traffic jams and rushes on the supermarkets. Had some rainstorms mid/late Wednesday but nothing remarkably bad. It had completely passed us by Thursday morning and the all-clear was given.

In the map I posted above you can see the track starts near Barbados, it reached tropical storm force just before it brushed us.

cwh
cwh PowerDork
10/3/16 9:33 a.m.

Glad that's all you got. I am expecting similar here.

Sput
Sput Reader
10/3/16 8:55 p.m.

I live on Cape Fear. I know why it's called that. Most people around here are quite concerned about this one. Check in next Monday and we'll let you know.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/3/16 9:05 p.m.

Up until this morning I was hopeful we were just going to get some rain, not anymore.

The worst part is that it rained quite a bit yesterday and this afternoon again. The lakes are up to the brim, so the streets are going to be flooded by me regardless.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
10/3/16 9:54 p.m.

The NE Florida coast where we are is relatively protected, but even we're not dumb enough to know we aren't going to lose our carports and screen enclosures in all likelihood. Part of doing' business.

10-20 inches of rain sounds glorious, though (as long as my power stays on so I can pump out the pool.)

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/3/16 10:07 p.m.

we have had a lot of rain here too.. but really, they are forcasting 40 inches for some of those islands..

NordicSaab
NordicSaab HalfDork
10/4/16 5:02 a.m.

I live in melbourne FL and my wife freaks out a little more with every update.

I predict i will be hanging hurricane shutters on wednesday/thursday. The good news is my house is only 3 years old ans they build them like fortresses now. Full block construction with rebar amd every other vein filled with cement.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
10/4/16 6:08 a.m.

Fingers crossed

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
10/4/16 7:13 a.m.

We made plans to host some friends this weekend at our house. I hope they have been watching the weather, because we have and it looks like at best case a weekend washout. Worst case, we won't be here because we will have evacuated.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
10/4/16 7:20 a.m.

There are two places where all 5 of the computer models converge. The first is at Matthew's current location. The second is my neck of the woods along the southern NC coast. (ok, so the yellow dotted one doesn't get here, so 4/5)

Hang on Haitians. This too shall pass.

1 2 3 ... 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wQsxPyuHDN5JYC2J5xC3fNu3b1H5EOCzjJB6k72V4oSLrvfwjPkNV1VENOxrFEmi