1 ... 8 9 10 11 12
alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/7/16 8:46 a.m.

My live radar app shows that the eye is staying off shore. Which is better than if it went on for winds. The "outer eye" is just on the coastline.

Friends who live south of Port Canaveral are past the peak storm surge- that looks to be up by Daytona/Ormond Beach. So hopefully, GRM HQ gets through this surge period ok.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/7/16 9:36 a.m.

Marjorie posted a video on FB a couple of hours ago and things didn't look too bad. Windy and rainy, but not horribly so.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
10/7/16 9:42 a.m.

They're already reporting south east coastal beaches are being opened. 600k people without power? But everyone is moving ridiculously quickly.

GSmith
GSmith HalfDork
10/7/16 10:52 a.m.
Spinout007 wrote: Over near Tampa here. Tub's filling, several 5 gallon buckets on standby. All else fails I've got a 55 gallon fish tank out in front of the shop growing aquatic plants if I HAVE to steal water from somewhere.

Just a tip - if you cut off the breaker for your water heater (so you don't kill the heating elements) and turn off the input line, you should have a substantial amount there too. That keeps you from getting any tainted water if the feed's no good.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/7/16 11:08 a.m.
Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/7/16 1:18 p.m.
GSmith wrote:
Spinout007 wrote: Over near Tampa here. Tub's filling, several 5 gallon buckets on standby. All else fails I've got a 55 gallon fish tank out in front of the shop growing aquatic plants if I HAVE to steal water from somewhere.
Just a tip - if you cut off the breaker for your water heater (so you don't kill the heating elements) and turn off the input line, you should have a substantial amount there too. That keeps you from getting any tainted water if the feed's no good.

Yep, thanks for that. Heater is on a switch that's off most of the time anyway. Only takes about 20 min to heat up. But that is something I hadn't thought of before. Learned something new today. YAY!!!

That said, we got a lot of rain overnight, some wind. relatively calm. Will be interesting to what thing thing does in the next week.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
10/7/16 1:21 p.m.

Surf camera from just south of Cocoa Beach: http://www.surfline.com/surf-report/the-streets-florida_5359/

Looks like the beach and the dunes survived, so it's looking good for my relatives in the area.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
10/7/16 1:46 p.m.

Glad to hear the impact has been less than what was forecast, at least so far. To celebrate I ordered BOGO sushi for lunch, one Hurricane roll and one Florida roll.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette UltraDork
10/7/16 1:56 p.m.

I sure am hoping I do Not loose my weather man expert status

Karl La Follette wrote: I do Not know WTF any one is thinking about riding this out . YOU are F&&Ked if you think this is bullE36 M3 ... get some GRM logos for the bodybags This is the real deal ... Get the Fuc8 out now //// Cat 4 are you kidding me get out now
captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/7/16 2:11 p.m.
Karl La Follette wrote: I sure am hoping I do Not loose my weather man expert status
Karl La Follette wrote: I do Not know WTF any one is thinking about riding this out . YOU are F&&Ked if you think this is bullE36 M3 ... get some GRM logos for the bodybags This is the real deal ... Get the Fuc8 out now //// Cat 4 are you kidding me get out now

ounce of prevention. you never want to be on the wrong side of that coin and stay point thinking it's going to be okay to ride out, when it isn't. It's like seatbelts, they're only needed if there's an accident, and the likelihood of an accident is less than 1 in 20,000, but the repercussion of not having them on is grave. So you buckle up every time.

92dxman
92dxman SuperDork
10/7/16 2:58 p.m.

How is everybody holding up??

Toyman01
10/7/16 4:05 p.m.

In reply to 92dxman:

Quietly, I guess.

It hasn't gotten here yet. Things will get fun tomorrow morning.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock UltimaDork
10/7/16 5:03 p.m.

Two sister in law's are hold up in one of their homes in Jacksonville Beach. The street is flooding, bad part is to come. Unfortunately at high tide.

Mental
Mental Mod Squad
10/7/16 5:25 p.m.

Hey if any evacuees are near Atlanta and bored, hit me up.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
10/7/16 5:26 p.m.

I have a friend in Atlantic Beach. Just moved there this summer. Upstate NY farmer.

Said she is going to ride it out. I told her she has never experienced anything like this.

Hope she is OK.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/7/16 5:37 p.m.

Any word how long the wait will be before you can all go home?

Toyman01
10/8/16 4:21 a.m.

Well, radar is showing the storm 20 miles southeast of Hilton Head Island. That puts it about 80 miles south of me. So far it's been a non event at my house. I'v managed to sleep through most of it. We still have power.

I guess the worst is still to come.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
10/8/16 7:36 a.m.

In reply to Toyman01:

Hang in there.

Sput
Sput Reader
10/8/16 7:49 a.m.

Getting windy here at Cape Fear. Most of the heaviest rains are actually inland. We've had some pretty good gusts, nothing special yet. Windiest part of the day is supposed to be sunset and after.

Toyman01
10/8/16 8:09 a.m.

It's past us at this point. This has turned into a non storm around here. We have worse thunderstorms. I don't think we even lost any leaves off of the trees. The neighbors had a small weeping willow blow over, but it must have been a sickly tree to start with.

My parents, lost a couple of trees in the edge of the yard and have some water in the basement. Other than that, it's been a non issue for them as well. I'll ride down this afternoon and help them with the cleanup.

A lot of the coastal areas and downtown have flooded, but if you weren't in a low lying area, it's really not a problem.

cwh
cwh PowerDork
10/8/16 8:48 a.m.

No word from GRM HQ yet? I assume they have no power yet.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/8/16 9:23 a.m.

In reply to cwh:

I believe that they're still in Tampa.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
10/8/16 10:19 a.m.

In reply to Sput:

Sput, where are you? I live on Oak Island, but am not there now. Just wondering how things are there now. Hoping to head back down there Monday.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
10/8/16 1:05 p.m.

Matthew downgraded to a cat1. Here's to hoping that thread holds.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/8/16 1:07 p.m.

any word on Nicole?

1 ... 8 9 10 11 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rRfXXlRx3Lk2s7Dhr1Ejo2DIbKWkghQV8MPD5kYfHFATUlDTYocRp0hKdvXBTMsd