1 ... 9 10 11 12
Greg Voth
Greg Voth Dork
10/8/16 1:39 p.m.

I'm about 5 miles north of the grm office. Decently strong winds. We lost about half a dozen trees (in an acre of property) and a ton of large limbs. Other than some loose siding the house unscathed.

Sput
Sput Reader
10/8/16 1:41 p.m.

In reply to T.J.:

S. College Rd. near Monkey Junction. Lot's of beach erosion taking place. They've closed the bridges to most of the islands. A couple of places on the beaches are experiencing some wash-over. Inland is terribly flooded. Check out the delay in the Notre dame - N.C. State football game in Raleigh! Highways I-95, I-20, US-17, NC-133 all closed in large sections.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
10/8/16 1:53 p.m.

Just got this pic from a neighbor. My boat and jetski are trying to escape.

My neighbor on the other side is keeping an eye on them and securing them a little better. Hoping they are still there when we head back down there. It's good to have good neighbors.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
10/8/16 2:12 p.m.

If you got good insurance, know what you get? A new boat and jetski!

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
10/8/16 2:16 p.m.

In reply to mndsm:

Not actually my boat. I just keep it for a friend. And the jetski is only a few months old.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
10/8/16 2:32 p.m.

Hey everyone, just got power back an hour or so ago here where the Suddards, and some friends of Katie's who evacuated college with her, rode out the storm a little more than 40 miles from the coast.

We got tropical storm force winds here, lost some limbs and shingles. Tim and Tom drove over to Ormond Beach today to check on things. Lots of tree damage and downed trees, the kids' old tree house flew away and crushed a utility trailer, and Tom's oak-shaded back yard is pretty much cleared.

Office seems fine. Rest of the crew has pretty much all checked in okay. No power for most, and no water or boil-only water depending on where they are (water main breaks).

So overall, we feel very, very lucky. I have a house full of college kids for awhile longer, since their dorms in St. Augustine flooded. But woo, running water and power!!

Margie

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
10/8/16 2:58 p.m.

Glad to hear all is alright in Suddard land.

Spitsix
Spitsix GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/8/16 3:07 p.m.

Taking my 93 year old Mom back down to my sisters place in Port Orange from Jacksonville FL tomorrow. Any bets on how many hours the round trip will be? (By the way we are blessed to be taking the trip with no damage to either house.)

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
10/8/16 3:26 p.m.

Unless you run into closed roads, should be normal id think.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
10/8/16 3:34 p.m.

Best of luck with the clean up everyone. I'm glad everything went as well as it did down in Florida.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
10/8/16 3:39 p.m.

Just watched a video of one of the two piers on Oak Island get smashed. So long Yaupon pier.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JRodReports/status/784816358081044480

Chadeux
Chadeux HalfDork
10/8/16 4:46 p.m.

This guy seems to have faired ok.

EDIT:

mndsm wrote: Just woke up. Chadeux if you've got people in orlando amd haven't heard yet...they're fine. It never got even sorta bad here from what I can tell. We definitely didn't lose power. Orange County is under curfew til tomorrow but really, thats it. Whole lot of bored in my future.

Thanks for this, sorry I forgot to check this thread until now.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
10/8/16 4:48 p.m.
Chadeux wrote: This guy seems to have faired ok.

His video is my current favorite thing.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/8/16 7:13 p.m.

In reply to T.J.:

Arem't you on a lake? Lot of water there- more than I would have expected.

Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera HalfDork
10/8/16 7:33 p.m.
T.J. wrote: Just watched a video of one of the two piers on Oak Island get smashed. So long Yaupon pier. https://mobile.twitter.com/JRodReports/status/784816358081044480

Was it Oceancrest/OI pier or Yaupon? I'd heard it was OI, but that looks like Yaupon Beach pier. How's everything else there?

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
10/8/16 7:58 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver:

I'm on the intracoastal waterway. The water looks to be about a foot to 18" above my dock. A typical high high tide is a couple-three feet below the dock. Based on that, the water would've been over the bulkhead wall and into my back yard. I'm glad I turned off the power to the dock before we left. One of the boat lift motors was under some salt water. We'll see how it fared when I get back down there. Undortunately, I need to go to MN for work before I can go home v

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
10/8/16 7:59 p.m.

In reply to Apis Mellifera:

Yaupon pier. Ocean Crest Motel got the first floor flooded as waves came over and washed away the dunes, but the ocen crest pier is ok afaik.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/9/16 8:49 a.m.

In reply to T.J.:

Ok- so the abnormal amount is due to the surge.

Hope everything is ok!

(I did see some REALLY high rain amounts- over a foot in many areas.)

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/9/16 8:33 p.m.

The scoop from Toyman's house. No big deal. No power loss, no damage to the house or property.

My parents have their yard rented for a wedding next Saturday, I figured I would run out and help clean it up. So about noon yesterday, I packed up my eldest three children and drove down to my parents house. The closer to the coast, the worse things looked. Lots of tree damage. The usual hour trip, took almost 4. If not for the tree clearing crew, we would have never made it.

There were flooded roads, down power lines, and many trees across the road. About 5 miles from my parents house we came to a halt. Right behind a county police officer. He was right behind a tree clearing crew that was busy hacking a tree out of the road. It ended up being one of many. They had already been clearing for 3 hours.

When we turned onto the dirt road, the amount of work before us was depressing. The pecan orchard was destroyed. Of 15 trees, there are 4 badly broken trees left. Anyone that is familiar with live oaks, knows they are self pruning. Self prune they did. We hauled over 30 5X8 trailer loads of trash to the burn pile and only cleaned 25% of the yard. There are 2 huge oaks down on the point. More trees down all along the drive, more trees down at my aunts house, all in there are over 25 trees to be removed.

That should lock up my weekend are plans for the foreseeable future.

I also lost my boat shed. It has a pecan tree sitting on top of it. The only thing keeping the pecan from hitting the ground is my 21' Sea Ray. Which is crushed. Also in there, is a family friends 15' bowrider which is pretty mangled, and my 17' Keywest, miraculously unscathed. I don't think it even has a scratch on it.

Picture dump.

Mostly clear.

The convoy trying to get on the island.

There are three boats under there somewhere.

That's not looking too promising.

There is a chance the dock was under water just a little.

All fixed.

There is no power at the house, we had to turn the golf cart into a hybrid.

The good news is the house and people were unscathed. It could have been worse.

The Keywest survived.

And today was a beautiful day.

I'm beat, I'm going to bed.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/9/16 9:24 p.m.

Heard from some people in my old town of residence, Avon, N.C. on Hatteras island. Route 12 is under more than 18" of sand and it's suspected that the road has washed away under it before the over wash covered it. A 60 ton unsecured barge also crashed through the town while the water level was 11+'

I'm not sure how Hatteras island is going to look tomorrow morning.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/9/16 9:27 p.m.

http://outerbanksvoice.com/2016/10/08/live-blog-hurricane-matthew-on-the-outer-banks/ the link includes video of the barge.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/10/16 8:50 a.m.
Toyman01 wrote: There is no power at the house, we had to turn the golf cart into a hybrid.

Haha so can it actually run on AC power or were you doing a charge-then-drive thing?

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/10/16 3:41 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH:

It was charging while we were loading the trailer.

GhiaMonster
GhiaMonster Reader
10/10/16 4:08 p.m.

Another plus for the GRM forum, I got all my hurricane updates from here.

Was anxiously watching as my sister lives on a river outside of Savannah. Being a nurse she was mandated in to work for several days, along with her husband (firefighter). They didn't get to check on their house until Sunday, but luckily escaped any large scale damage. Neighborhood did get punished so they are now getting other people back into their houses.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/10/16 4:08 p.m.

Yeah, I'll take no power over no roof any day of the week. I really wondered whether or not we'd return to a house.

Our next-door neighbors rode out the storm, so I was getting updates. Photos sent via text wouldn't go through, though, but once she said that all of the windows looked intact, I could relax a bit.

Power company now says that power at home will be restored by tomorrow night, but they keep pushing back that status. There are a ton of trees down near us. At least the water is back on. Hopefully the boil notice gets lifted tomorrow.

Right now my office is at the library. I have a nice view of the river.

We'll have to replace a railing on our deck. Other than that, it has just been a ton of cleanup--like two full days as the pile stretches across our entire front lawn and is at least 6 feet tall.

My wife and I are beat.

1 ... 9 10 11 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QdjmmbYokMPUTa66grYhpCXIslbFzEJ8AfKXrRuTyhjXQ9z4z0KWl8b23sVhHlbb