1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12
Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/6/16 6:26 p.m.

We spent Hugo, 2 miles from the ocean, at ground zero. We even got to walk around outside, while the eye passed. The worst part was 2 weeks of cold showers, after working 12 hour days.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
10/6/16 6:29 p.m.
captdownshift wrote: I did hurricane Bob on a 23' center console.

Quoted for posterity

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/6/16 7:02 p.m.

In reply to Huckleberry:

and saying I rode out wouldn't have been much better

NordicSaab
NordicSaab HalfDork
10/6/16 7:15 p.m.

Melbourne, FL checking in.

House is shuttered up and battened down. Will update when our head comes above water.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
10/6/16 7:17 p.m.

Just went outside, definitely picking up cold drizzly rain and a decent brwere. The thing that's so weird is how damn quiet it is. It is silent. No people noise, no animal noise, no traffic noise. Like...I've never heard outside be that quiet.

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/6/16 7:22 p.m.
mndsm wrote: Just went outside, definitely picking up cold drizzly rain and a decent brwere. The thing that's so weird is how damn quiet it is. It is silent. No people noise, no animal noise, no traffic noise. Like...I've never heard outside be that quiet.

Calm before the storm. At least this one will hit us during daylight. Charley was in the middle of the night and that made it a bit more scary. Let's hope GRM world headquarters makes it through OK!

cwh
cwh PowerDork
10/6/16 7:29 p.m.

Here in Ft. Lauderdale we have dodged the bullet. Still getting wind gusts and sporadic rains, but no thrills. Still have the strange yellow sky. Our northern brothers will not be so lucky. Traffic here is also none existent, everybody is enjoying the parties. But the possibility that that bastard is going to come back around is very disturbing. So boards are staying up until we are sure it's OK. Think I will just drink a bit more rum.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/6/16 7:35 p.m.

In reply to cwh:

Glad to hear that you made it through the first round intact! Here's hoping that it blows out to sea and falls apart.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/6/16 7:44 p.m.

Knock on wood, but I think West Palm dodged the bullet too.

Lots of wind gusts but nothing scary like Wilma was in 2005.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
10/6/16 7:47 p.m.
mblommel wrote:
mndsm wrote: Just went outside, definitely picking up cold drizzly rain and a decent brwere. The thing that's so weird is how damn quiet it is. It is silent. No people noise, no animal noise, no traffic noise. Like...I've never heard outside be that quiet.
Calm before the storm. At least this one will hit us during daylight. Charley was in the middle of the night and that made it a bit more scary. Let's hope GRM world headquarters makes it through OK!

YeaH I remember that from storm season in mn. It's just weird.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/6/16 7:56 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/C_YtCpC12Kg

the track has it coming back around again for the people of the sunshine (state)

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
10/6/16 8:30 p.m.

10pm curfew in Volusia, orange and a few other surrounding counties. At least the lines will be short for pirates of the carribean.

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/6/16 9:13 p.m.

Over near Tampa here. Tub's filling, several 5 gallon buckets on standby. All else fails I've got a 55 gallon fish tank out in front of the shop growing aquatic plants if I HAVE to steal water from somewhere.

Both vehicles' are gassed up, couple cases of bottled water in the back of the truck, dog kennels, and critter food are already loaded up. If this thing makes a left turn we're outta here.

Gonna be a long night. At least I get to clock into work for awhile.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
10/6/16 10:13 p.m.

Yeah, im just now going to bed. Party seems to be picking up a bit, but I'm likely to be awake again before the real show tomorrow am.

Chadeux
Chadeux HalfDork
10/7/16 3:50 a.m.

So...somebody just told me one of my friends and his family are in Orlando right now.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/7/16 4:43 a.m.

Stay safe down there today guys (and check in when you can.) I hear it's gonna be a little windy.

NordicSaab
NordicSaab HalfDork
10/7/16 5:48 a.m.

Melbourne, FL checking in.

The worst of the storm is behind us. Still have power, internet, and water. A lot of wind and rain, but generally uneventful.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
10/7/16 5:54 a.m.

In reply to NordicSaab:

Happy to hear the uneventful.

Still worried about those in Daytona and Jax

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/7/16 5:56 a.m.

Stay safe GRM, pimpM3, Toyman and others up the coast. I expect you'll have stories to tell soon. Best wishes.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
10/7/16 6:43 a.m.

I'm very encouraged by how far this is staying off shore. A lot better than I thought I'd see when I woke up.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/7/16 6:56 a.m.

Appears to be headed north a bit at 7:45 this morning, how's GRM Headquarters holding up?

My wife's friend and her boyfriend are avid wind surfers, they're headed to the Outer Banks this afternoon; think they may get stopped at the border?

Toyman01
10/7/16 7:09 a.m.

In reply to 914Driver:

South Carolina is only letting residents onto the islands around Charleston. I haven't heard that NC is doing the same, but I wouldn't be surprised.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
10/7/16 8:05 a.m.

Just woke up. Chadeux if you've got people in orlando amd haven't heard yet...they're fine. It never got even sorta bad here from what I can tell. We definitely didn't lose power. Orange County is under curfew til tomorrow but really, thats it. Whole lot of bored in my future.

cwh
cwh PowerDork
10/7/16 8:05 a.m.

We are now in the let down stage. Still eerily quiet outside. Dark sky but no wind or rain. The sense of impending doom has passed, replaced by feeling exhausted and depressed. Storm hangover. Not going to pull down the boards until we know where Matthew is going to go. Heard from a good friend in Jamaica, no phones, no power, but they are sending hundreds of workers and doctors to Haiti. Good hearted folks. Praying for all of you up north.

Toyman01
10/7/16 8:43 a.m.

We are in the waiting phase now. I have a couple of butts on the grill for BBQ tonight.

We finished some French Toast because you know we have all the eggs, milk and bread.

The rest of the kids and grandkids should be here in a couple of hours. We'll be settling in for a long boring day of sitting around. It's too wet to start a outside project. Might do a movie marathon.

I'd almost rather be working.

Tomorrow should be interesting. We'll see.

I hope and pray that everyone along the coast south of me, is staying safe and dry.

1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZivA0QB8IS2vbKJ2FSSOtEJunEPbDTw6I7C26ikecsCDz9pPLSC7AA9hC12lZttp