1 2
grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/7/24 9:20 p.m.

This one could be huge. Be smart my west coast friends! I've got cots if you need to bug out east and south to Jupiter. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
10/7/24 10:22 p.m.

For our Midwest friends:

To see it a different way, the center of the storm is 70 mile wide EF2 tornado with a core equivalent to an EF4 level tornado.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/7/24 11:09 p.m.

Man , I'm happy we don't get hurricanes here

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/7/24 11:40 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

The power and size are just impressive–small yet fierce. Sounds like water will be the big issue, though. Looking at the surge map now, and a friend’s house is in a very red area–and she just got flooded a week or so ago.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/7/24 11:43 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

That's terrifying...and this is someone who grew up and lives in Oklahoma.

Stay safe y'all.

David S. Wallens
10/7/24 11:48 p.m.

Not sure if this makes a hurricane more or less terrifying than a tornado: You know it’s heading your way for days. Oh, and it might swerve away, too. 

It is stressful. Very. 

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/7/24 11:53 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Somebody told me it was like being stalked by a turtle.

jgrewe
jgrewe Dork
10/7/24 11:59 p.m.

Latest surge map is predicting 9'+ of surge at my place in StPBch. The last surge came in at 7.25' and it put 30" of water in the building. It will be interesting to see how the claim is handled. I'm guessing it will just be listed as the difference between the first one to this one.

Now, the wind damage I expect will be a different policy.

I may end up with a total "do over" out there.sad

David S. Wallens
10/8/24 12:08 a.m.

In reply to CrustyRedXpress :

Kind of, yeah. Like a turtle that could totally ruin your day. And the turtle might zig and attack someone else. 

I woke up extremely stressed. Around lunchtime, I settled into my usual level of stress. 

What do you do when there’s a hurricane out there? Don’t freak out. Get a plan, and lots of good info has been shared here. 

We got all the cars safely stored away, my wife’s Civic Si is in the garage with a full tank of gas, and we have the little Honda generator from the office (plus about 10 gallons of fuel). 

We have food, water, tarps, good neighbors and an invitation to go visit my parents. We can’t really board up our house, but the gutters are clean. The fridge and freezer aren’t too full. 

My wife had already set up her spooky graveyard out front, and now it’s all away–along with the bird feeders, planters, outdoor furniture, etc., etc. 

Flashlights and lanterns are charged, we’re caught up on laundry, and I just started the dishwasher. 

Been in contact with our family on the West Coast of the state. 

The other complication: We ship the next issue of GRM this coming Monday. It’s nearly done (I feel like we’re actually a tick ahead of schedule) but we still need to button it up. Fortunately the GRM editorial staff isn’t all in Florida. 

Also, I’m supposed to be in California right now for a press launch. Obviously I had to cancel at the last minute. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gxMc9diQnG35hNY6MCSOIo97HBqiPqljXGw3Sbh4HGmJf2Kz5OjEmtmMmmC5oACi