1 ... 3 4 5
AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
10/8/24 7:15 p.m.

The real question is... what is Tom Terry wearing?

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
10/8/24 8:11 p.m.

Family got out of the space coast, and is staying the night just south of Jacksonville.  They'll reevaluate whether they need to head farther north or inland in the morning.  With the updated track of the storm, I'm really glad they evacuated.  Their condo is on the Banana River, so better than their previous one on the coast, but still a little close for comfort.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
10/8/24 8:29 p.m.

With the storm moving south, and intensifying, we are under a mandatory evacuation now. I was going to stay put, but Mrs Boost is freaking out. 
Boost Jr #1 works for the county, when we’re in a hurricane situation he has to work at a shelter. He got us a place in the shelter with the dog and 2 cats. This will be interesting.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/8/24 8:52 p.m.

Sending positive vibes to all our FL brothers and sisters. 

Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself
Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself PowerDork
10/8/24 8:55 p.m.

In reply to DrBoost :

I'm with Mrs Boost.

Especially if you don't have a fresh Sharpie available.   Stay safe.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/8/24 8:59 p.m.

In reply to Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself :

If under mandatory evacuation orders, yeah, I’d also GTFO. Figure it’s only a night or two of inconvenience. 

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Dork
10/8/24 9:27 p.m.
DrBoost said:

I'm not sure how this will work with the fact that the insurance company still hasn't paid us for the damage from Ian. Do they just stack this on top? Do they open another claim? Do they restart the 2+ year clock of doing nothing and avoiding the insured? lol

Sorry to hear you are still dealing with with your Ian claim but being in the industry I'll try to help a little if it was a serious question. 

It would be a new claim with a new deductible.  Unrepaired damage which was paid for in the prior claim would likely be deducted from this new hypothetical claim. If you have made repairs it would be a good idea to gather invoices and/or photos showing it had been repaired.  

Also a reminder to everyone that your standard homeowners policies do not cover flood.  

Personally over here in the Daytona area I am not worried.   Power outage and trees down is anticipated which can be bad but will be more localized versus widespread.   The wind gusts you hear reported are not measured anywhere near the ground level and there is a lot of state to cross.    For reference take a look at the reported wind speeds from Helene vs what was measured at the airports in the affected area.  

I am very concerned for those on the West Coast near the center of the storm and for those in flood zones.    

E36 M3 is getting real when Waffle House closes.

All of you down there are in my thoughts. I still have many friends and former coworkers who work on MacDill AFB. It's probably going to wallop the base pretty good.

I hope it isn't as bad as it's forecasted to be.

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/8/24 9:42 p.m.

Thinking good thoughts for you all from much higher ground.

Stay safe.

DrBoost said:

With the storm moving south, and intensifying, we are under a mandatory evacuation now. I was going to stay put, but Mrs Boost is freaking out. 
Boost Jr #1 works for the county, when we’re in a hurricane situation he has to work at a shelter. He got us a place in the shelter with the dog and 2 cats. This will be interesting.

Before we moved to NM, my GF worked for the Pasco County Health Dept. She had to work the shelter for Ian and Idalia. 

Let me just say that please keep in mind that everyone, including the staff, are stressed out at the situation. Nobody wants to be there, let alone be there with hundreds of other people and their pets.

It's not a great situation but you will be safe. Bring lots of books or stuff to keep occupied. Power outlets might be scarce so charging your devices might be difficult. Bring some power banks.

I wish you and your family the best.

David S. Wallens
10/8/24 10:33 p.m.

In reply to stanger_mussle (Supported by GRM undergarments) :

After one of the major hurricanes hit us a couple of years, we went to Waffle House–the one over by Daytona Speedway. We had been without power for a couple of days and simply craved some hot food. We had poor cell service at home and knew there was a tower next to that Waffle House. Win, win, right?

We arrived to a darkened restaurant, yet they were still serving. The menu was simplified–basically a photocopied piece of paper–and the staff worked by cell phone flashlight. A generator–a bigger one–sat in the parking lot. I assume it kept the fridges going.

We ate our meal, tipped well, and lingered in the waiting area for a few to check e-mail.

Then we ventured back home. 

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
10/8/24 10:49 p.m.

In reply to Greg Voth :

What about unrepaired damage that the insurance company has done nothing about, and therefore hasn't been repaired?
we were supposed to have arbitration last week, but Helene changed that. 

David S. Wallens
10/8/24 11:05 p.m.

11:00 p.m. Eastern update: Storm path pushed a little further to the south. Check the official word, though. 

David S. Wallens
10/8/24 11:06 p.m.

And from Denis Phillips. 

Yes, I know someone named Johnny Zoom

David S. Wallens
10/8/24 11:15 p.m.

Updated potential storm surge flooding map, too.

1 ... 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wJ4wIJ8q9Dzsg24x4I8p7IBfV8ssKyK6gzGqe37g2Sxft2QN7vFPBP80Ogn4EGDk