triumphcorvair
triumphcorvair Reader
6/8/14 9:22 a.m.

Yesterday while getting the oil changed in my wife's 2013 Genesis 3.8 Coupe (23,890 mi), I started talking to the salesman about a 2011 Equus they just got in. It's got 29890 miles on it, beautiful condition, etc. Seriously considering it but I know very little about the Equus. I'm trading down in years 2013 vs 2011 so I would lose some warranty but I would pick up extended warranty like I did on the Coupe. Love the Genesis but being a 2 door and having a 12 yr old hitting a growth spurt it's starting to be a challenge for him. 90% of the time it's just him and my wife but with the 3 of us it's starting to get crowded. I also drove the 2015 Genesis sedan but it really didn't do anything for me. On the other hand the Equus was very nice. Any words of wisdom?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
6/8/14 9:26 a.m.

It's a Hyundai, but you probably already knew that!

triumphcorvair
triumphcorvair Reader
6/8/14 9:53 a.m.

Yeah, that's what I keep hearing. So far (knock on wood) the Genesis has performed flawlessly. Granted it's my wife's car but I still enjoy driving it. I guess it's all about perception. I know I wouldn't pay $70k for a Hyundai but this deal makes a little more sense. I keep hearing drivers of "high" end luxury cars typically take better care and maintenance of them. The Carfax shows it to be a 1 owner car with all the scheduled maintenance being performed.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
6/8/14 10:38 a.m.

Its big and looks impressive. I sorta want one?

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
6/8/14 10:47 a.m.

I like them as mndsm already knows.

They're big, they're well built, they get descent big car mileage, and the reviews on Edmunds are pretty damn good.

If it's a good deal to you, I'd say do it!

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non HalfDork
6/8/14 10:56 a.m.

I am surprised that value didn't drop further for this model compared to other models. $35k seems common for that year. Looks like you will want to spend some money upgrading the brakes.

triumphcorvair
triumphcorvair Reader
6/8/14 1:14 p.m.

In reply to Sine_Qua_Non: I did read some reviews on Edmunds but don't remember anything about brakes. . Do you mind sharing your thoughts on this?

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
6/8/14 6:00 p.m.

Take a look at the Kia Cadenza - it's like an Audi A6 for half the price

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/8/14 6:05 p.m.

I didn't realize that they've been around that long. I saw my first one about three weeks ago.

LopRacer
LopRacer HalfDork
6/8/14 6:22 p.m.

I like the way they look, they have presence on the road, don't really know much more about them. You have my curiosity piqued.

Fit_Is_Slo (ceasarromero)
Fit_Is_Slo (ceasarromero) HalfDork
6/8/14 7:24 p.m.

I drove one that got traded in where i work, it feels a lot like a Lexus Ls 460 (quiet smooth ride) the interior seemed well built but a bit cheaper feeling than the Lexus, but it was roomy and pretty damn nice for a first effort in that class.

triumphcorvair
triumphcorvair Reader
6/8/14 8:47 p.m.

Thanks for all the comments. I went on TrueCars.com and I've found some 2014 ' s that have also piqued my interest.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UltraDork
6/8/14 9:40 p.m.

Every time that I see one I say to myself : " What was that Lexus, Infinity, Jag, BMW looking thing? " than I notice the wings symbol on the trunk and remember that its a Hyundai. Not bad company to be confused with.

That's all I've got.

psteav
psteav GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/9/14 8:52 a.m.
Woody wrote: I didn't realize that they've been around that long. I saw my first one about three weeks ago.

You may have seen them from a distance or at a passing glance and mistaken them for an S-class. I know I did.

singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
6/9/14 9:18 a.m.
triumphcorvair wrote: Thanks for all the comments. I went on TrueCars.com and I've found some 2014 ' s that have also piqued my interest.

Very interesting website. I will have to poke around a little.

triumphcorvair
triumphcorvair Reader
8/10/14 10:25 a.m.

Update: we didn't purchase the Hyundai Equus after all. Instead I went to TrueCars.com and looked at the 2015 Hyundai Genesis (sedan). A fantastic deal and we couldn't be happier with the car. I really would have liked to go with the 5.0 but the 3.8 is seemed to be the more practical choice as it's my wife's car.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
8/10/14 1:54 p.m.

Nice! Hope you guys are happy with it. Give us some updates!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Lve0GUiytAOryAQ2u25vqq7unbEMa2yTYgyCf8Yc4pkUD3PkoTQa4rTLQE452NLn