1 2 3
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/31/08 5:37 p.m.

A little girl who came to my door just said that. How can you not like candy corn? It's just so corny good. I traded her for something else. We have plenty of variety this year.

Travis_K
Travis_K Reader
10/31/08 5:41 p.m.

Has anyone tried the jones candy corn soda? It is extremly nasty. lol

mtn
mtn Dork
10/31/08 5:45 p.m.

I'm not a fan of it. I'm really not a fan of much candy though.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
10/31/08 5:45 p.m.

I'm not big on Candy Corn.

My step mother has an African Gray parrot. Candy Corn is his favorite thing in the world.

amaff
amaff HalfDork
10/31/08 5:48 p.m.

NWS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KpkvmBOnuw

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/31/08 5:57 p.m.

I've never liked candy corn.

David S. Wallens
10/31/08 5:58 p.m.

Really? You guys must be communists. I once ate so much that I barfed.

Will
Will New Reader
10/31/08 5:58 p.m.

Candy corn is awful. People at work know I hate it and throw it over my cubicle walls this time every year.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/31/08 6:08 p.m.

LOL I like candy corn, but even I may have a hard time eating it again after seeing this...

Jay
Jay HalfDork
10/31/08 6:39 p.m.

What the heck is candy corn?

J

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
10/31/08 6:59 p.m.
Jay wrote: What the heck is candy corn? J

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candy_corn

Candy corn is made primarily from sugar, corn syrup and honey. Carnauba wax is usually added.[citation needed] Originally, candy corn was made by hand. Manufacturers first combined sugar, corn syrup, and water and cooked them into a slurry.[citation needed] Fondant was added for texture and marshmallows provided a soft bite.[citation needed] The final mixture was then heated and poured into shaped molds. Three passes were required during the pouring process, one for each colored section.[citation needed] Few changes have been made to the process or recipe, with machines now performing the tasks formerly done by people.[citation needed]

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
10/31/08 7:10 p.m.

Lewis Black said:

The worst thing about Halloween is, of course, candy corn. It's unbelievable to me. Candy corn is the only candy in the history of America that's never been advertised. And there's a reason. All of the candy corn that was ever made was made in 1911. And so, since nobody eats that stuff, every year there's a ton of it left over. And the candy corn company sends the guys to the villages and they collect out of the dumpsters all the candy corn we've thrown away. They wash it!! They wash it!

I'll never forget the first time my mother gave me candy corn. She said, "Here - Lewis, this is candy corn. It's corn that tastes like candy". [high pitched sound] This tastes like crap! And every year since then, Halloween has returned and I, like an Alzhiemer's patient, find myself in the room, and the room has a big table in it, and on the table is a bowl of candy corn. And I look at it as if I've never seen it before. "Candy corn", I think. "Corn that tastes like candy. I can't wait". Son of a bitch!!

stuart in mn
stuart in mn Dork
10/31/08 7:18 p.m.

Lewis Black is funny, but he's all wrong on candy corn...it's good stuff.

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard GRM+ Member
10/31/08 7:57 p.m.

Candy Corn Sucks!

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/31/08 8:31 p.m.

It's awful. But in Canada, I don't remember ever having candy corn. I remember a terrible caramel thing wrapped in a garish orange and black wrapper. I swear they were all made in 1970 and they've just been getting harder ever since...

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/31/08 9:11 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote: Lewis Black is funny, but he's all wrong on candy corn...it's good stuff.

A little girl came to MY door and said, "Lewis Black isn't funny."

David S. Wallens
10/31/08 9:22 p.m.

A follow-up. We had a big bowl of mixed candy, and one kid saw the candy corn in there. "Candy corn rules!" he said. I hooked him up.

We also talked to our neighbors. We both think the turn-out was down this year. Tonight is homecoming at the local high school, so maybe that's part of it. We still had a lot of kids, but last year it was nuts. As a result, we both have leftover candy.

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam Dork
10/31/08 9:48 p.m.

And every year like an Alzheimer's patient...

Hahahahaha everyone quoted him already but it's still funny.

David S. Wallens
10/31/08 9:59 p.m.

I concede, it's a funny bit. I still love me some candy corn.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/31/08 11:04 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: A little girl who came to my door just said that. How can you not like candy corn? It's just so corny good. I traded her for something else. We have plenty of variety this year.

since when do beggars get to be choosers? in your shoes, i would've traded her for a handful of "get the berkeley off of my doorstep!"

in her shoes, i would've graciously thanked you for the candy corn, then traded it to another kid at school on Monday.

joey48442
joey48442 Dork
11/1/08 1:42 a.m.
AngryCorvair wrote:
David S. Wallens wrote: A little girl who came to my door just said that. How can you not like candy corn? It's just so corny good. I traded her for something else. We have plenty of variety this year.
since when do beggars get to be choosers? in your shoes, i would've traded her for a handful of "get the berkeley off of my doorstep!" in her shoes, i would've graciously thanked you for the candy corn, then traded it to another kid at school on Monday.

You know, Angry, Ive met you in person. Even bought a car from you. I like you. I don't know you real well, but, I'm pretty comfortable with saying that I don't think you would graciously thank someone for something you didn't want. I think you would have said "What the berkeley is this corn shaped E36 M3? I'm getting the berkeley off your doorstep!"

Like I said, I could be wrong, but, you seem like the kind of guy who asks for what he wants, not one who graciously thanks someone for something he doesn't want!

Am I close?

Joey

integraguy
integraguy Reader
11/1/08 7:55 a.m.

"....few changes have been made in the process or the recipe".

Hey Dave...have you seen/tasted Hershey's version of Candy Corn? It's packaged and shaped like a Hershey's Kiss (wrapped in silver foil and vaguely pyramid shaped) but once unwrapped it's the familiar orange, yellow, white. It manages to taste the same...yet slightly different that Brach's version.

I went to WalGreen's a week ago to look for Halloween candy ideas (it's too expensive to buy there) and counted 5, yes FIVE different varieties of Brach's Candy Corn...and I may have missed 1 or 2. I like all candy, but my favorite Candy Corn is Brach's Indian Candy Corn (at least I think that's what it is called). It's the one with brown (chocolate?), followed by yellow and white layers.

AngryCorvair
11/1/08 8:38 a.m.
integraguy wrote: I like all candy, but my favorite Candy Corn is Brach's Indian Candy Corn (at least I think that's what it is called). It's the one with brown (chocolate?), followed by yellow and white layers.

shouldn't that be Native American Candy Corn? I mean, unless it tastes like curry....

i keed, i keed.

AngryCorvair
11/1/08 8:50 a.m.
joey48442 wrote:
AngryCorvair wrote:
since when do beggars get to be choosers? in your shoes, i would've traded her for a handful of "get the berkeley off of my doorstep!" in her shoes, i would've graciously thanked you for the candy corn, then traded it to another kid at school on Monday.
You know, Angry, Ive met you in person. Even bought a car from you. I like you. I don't know you real well, but, I'm pretty comfortable with saying that I don't think you would graciously thank someone for something you didn't want. I think you would have said "What the berkeley is this corn shaped E36 M3? I'm getting the berkeley off your doorstep!" Like I said, I could be wrong, but, you seem like the kind of guy who asks for what he wants, not one who graciously thanks someone for something he doesn't want! Am I close? Joey

you've got the adult version of AngryCorvair pretty much nailed right there, at least in a situation in which I believe it's within my role to ask for what I want. However, there are still times where I graciously accept something I don't want, because of how I was raised. Call it manners, call it some repressed childhood fear of Dad kicking the crap out of me, whatever.

example: first dinner at girlfriend's (now wife) parents' house -- they served Brussels Sprouts, which I like about as much as bottoming out the suspension on my MtBike and having my balls smashed into my shiny happy person by the nose of the saddle. I ate them, didn't make funny faces or turn up my nose, and thanked them for dinner. I even said "Those Brussels Sprouts were the best I've ever had." I didn't say they were good, just that they were better than previous iterations.

and now that I have children of my own, i'm teaching them that beggars can't be choosers, and that when someone goes out of their way to do something for them, regardless of how well the outcome aligns with their desires, that they acknowledge and appreciate the effort the other person put into it.

but aside from all that, berkeley candy corn!

AngryCorvair
11/1/08 8:52 a.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: my balls smashed into my shiny happy person by the nose of the saddle.

now that right there is a sweet example how message board filters really add to the fun!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DQ24hwDYL0FELXino8jLOb2l70AMt89DWywHVdsg1qtDHGSfHray0jCwTKzH4o52