1 2 3 4
BARNCA
BARNCA Dork
9/10/12 3:28 p.m.

when we were there last year. I remember saying to my wife.. is it odd that a 43 old adult feels like a little kid.. her reply was absolutely not.. i love disney so does my wife and 9 year old son..

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
9/10/12 3:36 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: I never went to Disney when I was a kid instead my parents and I traveled a lot. By the time I was 18 I had been to England 8 times. I had also gone to Australia and lived in Denmark for 2 months plus visiting a huge number of places around the US. I am glad I got to do those things instead of Disney.

we went to Disney twice a year growing up in the 80's. My Great Grandmother lived in the old part of ST Cloud and we would visit her every April and October. Over the years we hit Sea World, KSC, watched a few shuttle launches, etc. We also traveled the country. I had seen 38 states before I was 18. I had been to every major National Park in the country (yellowstone, yosemite, Grand Canyon, RMNP, Mt Rushmore) as well as several of the Smithsonian museums in DC.

Ive since finished all 50 US states, hit Jamaica, Bahamas, Mexico, Canada, Caymans, Belize. Our next major trip we are trying to save for is Australia and after that Europe. But after being in all these places, seeing all this stuff, I still love Disneyworld.

Oh well, I guess I am just not jaded enough to be one of the "cool kids" here.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/10/12 3:57 p.m.

Living in Florida I did go to Disney a lot as a kid, but Epcot was always way cooler to me. Universal was pretty awesome, too (Blues Bros, Jaws, etc).

I still dig Disney, but when they re-did Tomorrowland from the 50's look to the modern plastic stuff it hurt. It used to look so much cooler around there, like walking around the Jetsons.

imirk
imirk HalfDork
9/10/12 4:11 p.m.

do they still have the alien encounter at D-world? cause that was pretty gnarley for an 11 year old at the time.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/10/12 4:21 p.m.
Javelin wrote: I still dig Disney, but when they re-did Tomorrowland from the 50's look to the modern plastic stuff it hurt. It used to look so much cooler around there, like walking around the Jetsons.

I was disappointed to see that that was gone. Not as much as Mom was to find out there was a little Disney jail, and she had to spring her kids for throwing beads at the Little Mermaid and yelling for her to expose herself. So much for the happiest place on earth.

16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
9/10/12 4:22 p.m.

I've only been once as a kid, and even as a kid I much preferred Epcot and Universal Studios. But I'm a weirdo. Even as a small child I never liked really kiddie stuff. I remember being 4 or 5 and waiting very impatiently for the segment on Mr. Rogers where they would show the clips of some sort of factory or what-not and show you how stuff was made. I remember HATING the fact that I had to wait through puppets and crap to get to the good stuff.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/10/12 4:34 p.m.

I went once as a kid. It wasn't memorable enough to make me want to go back. Since I despise crowds and tourist traps, the odds of me ever going back are slim at best. I guess my poor kids will turn out to be mass murders since I obviously hate fun so much.

Or maybe it's just that my version of fun isn't orchestrated by someone else and is a little more reality based.

Good luck with the rest of the week Ranger.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltraDork
9/10/12 4:52 p.m.

I'm going to need more.....

sachilles
sachilles Dork
9/10/12 5:05 p.m.

And better, no wonder you are grumpy, drinking that stuff.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltraDork
9/10/12 5:06 p.m.
imirk wrote: do they still have the alien encounter at D-world? cause that was pretty gnarley for an 11 year old at the time.

They changed it to something with Stitch from Lilo and Stitch. It's the same exact thing, just different aliens.

carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
9/10/12 6:28 p.m.

I've never seen an unhappy person at Disneyworld - EVER!

I have seen a number of people being pulled along with the kids determined to not have a good time, but within a few minutes the smiles begin to appear and by the end of the day the kids are the ones dragging.

My grumpy puss friend was determined to HATE Disney and it ended up being his favorite place on earth. So much so that we scattered his ashes all over the park. Shhh, don't tell anyone. There's a pocket of him in the big flower bed that everyone has their picture taken in front of just outside the gates.

But with that said, you've made such a big deal about it in the other thread that you can't afford to let us know you're having fun.

Sigh, I wish I had been at Disney for 2.5 hours! That would mean I'd have days more of fun to look forward too instead of work.

Sput
Sput New Reader
9/10/12 7:09 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
Ranger50 wrote: And I already loathe this place. Happy family vacation.
Step thru the back gate to Epcot, wander around the lake to Germany, go in and hit the sausage buffet and have a few liters.

I preferred the English Fish & Chips and and their beers.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
9/11/12 5:09 a.m.
Zomby Woof wrote: I usually find that if I'm determined to have a lousy time, it typically works out.

This.

Equally, I went planning to have a good time. Amazing, I did.

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
9/11/12 5:36 a.m.
Javelin wrote: I still dig Disney, but when they re-did Tomorrowland from the 50's look to the modern plastic stuff it hurt. It used to look so much cooler around there, like walking around the Jetsons.

A lot of the older stuff was fun....Mr. Toad's Wild Ride and 20,000 Leagues were great.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
9/11/12 7:08 a.m.

At the beach. Mama was really sick last week. Left a day late to take her to the dr. (between dr. and lost night at rental, about $500 down the toilet.) Last night we find out she's allergic to the antibiotics. 3 hours round trip to the closest pharmacy.

cwh
cwh PowerDork
9/11/12 8:57 a.m.

Get on I4, go west for 2 hours to Tampa, get off at Busch Gardens, enjoy REALITY! Really cool place with no animatronics. My favorite theme park. Force Recon could not get me into Rat World again.

jonnyd330
jonnyd330 Reader
9/11/12 9:25 a.m.

Once you get to Epcot start drinking around the world, it makes that place a lot of fun.

Type Q
Type Q Dork
9/11/12 9:41 a.m.

When I was young, my parents took us on an annual trek to Cedar Point in Ohio. The place had great rides. Roller coasters were my favorites. Once you paid the admission, you didn't need to get more tickets.

On a trek to Florida we went to Disney. This was before Epcot opened. It was .... okay. The rides kind of sucked. The lines were long. The animatic shows were pretty good. Nothing about the place gave me any desire to go back. We had a lot more fun that trip at Circus World which is out of business now. Here is a short description. http://www.lostparks.com/cwld.html

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
9/11/12 9:46 a.m.
jonnyd330 wrote: Once you get to Epcot start drinking around the world, it makes that place a lot of fun.

The Living Seas at Epcot was fun, but they don't like for you to ride the fish.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro SuperDork
9/11/12 9:52 a.m.
16vCorey wrote: I remember HATING the fact that I had to wait through puppets and crap to get to the good stuff.

That's because Casey was a ginger.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
9/11/12 10:14 a.m.
jonnyd330 wrote: Once you get to Epcot start drinking around the world, it makes that place a lot of fun.

Epcot was the strange one for us. We had a ball going around the world out back, and watching the night shows. But Epcot itself, pretty much just a giant science fair.

Planet Hollywood or whatever was one we enjoyed a whole lot more than we thought we would. Went back a number of times when we were down there. Lots of street shows and such. A lot more fun than it seems.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance Dork
9/11/12 12:01 p.m.

When it comes to Epcot, I think of the Mars exhibit and Michael Jackson.

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
9/11/12 12:08 p.m.
foxtrapper wrote: But Epcot itself, pretty much just a giant science fair.

That's why I liked it.

jonnyd330
jonnyd330 Reader
9/11/12 1:47 p.m.
foxtrapper wrote: But Epcot itself, pretty much just a giant science fair.

Thats what they were going for when they designed it.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Reader
9/11/12 10:52 p.m.
16vCorey wrote: I remember being 4 or 5 and waiting very impatiently for the segment on Mr. Rogers where they would show the clips of some sort of factory or what-not and show you how stuff was made. I remember HATING the fact that I had to wait through puppets and crap to get to the good stuff.

I thought I was the only one.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bBLVJi0YmCgOBL3HIL9VGMoGCtqaAgr6m8dqpcVEAozqRoFM0CNG5nvHeuXQFDrD