Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam Dork
11/1/09 9:15 a.m.

We (girlfriend and I) went to look at some houses yesterday. First three we looked at were crap. One was really beat up, and in a quasi-sketchy neighborhood, second had a basement that was literally soaked and the walls upstairs were mushy, the third was tinier than our apartment, but the fourth...

It had a garage that rivaled one of the other houses we looked at! It had a wide, tall entrance, old carpet on the floor (a la GRM's Ultimate Shop recommendations), pegboard with hooks for tools, and then a second workshop room with phone and cable hookup, a 220v outlet, about 10 feet of workbench space, a vice, and a window air conditioner.

We were standing in the garage and since it was the last part of the property we had looked at, and the realtor did the typical "So what do you think of the house?" I was like "House? Oh, yea, it's nice..." My girlfriend mutters under her breath, "Put a stove and a cot in the garage and he'll live in here."

Is it sad that she's right?

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/1/09 9:37 a.m.

LOL at least she knows in advance of what she's getting into.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
11/1/09 9:53 a.m.

Sounds right to me. Smart girl.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/1/09 12:07 p.m.

Just finished the garage addition to our house. The BEST upgrade in my opinion.

splitime
splitime Reader
11/1/09 12:15 p.m.

Amidst insulating and prepping for drywall in mine. So can't wait for warm winter wrenching.

Ian F
Ian F HalfDork
11/1/09 12:23 p.m.

My g/f's house has a really nice detached garage... we've often joked, "if it only it had a bathroom... and heat... we'd live out here..."

wayslow
wayslow New Reader
11/1/09 12:36 p.m.
splitime wrote: Amidst insulating and prepping for drywall in mine. So can't wait for warm winter wrenching.

I'm with you. I insulated my garage and installed a 125k BTU ceiling hung natural gas heater. Even in the coldest weather I'm only 10 minutes from having a warm shop.

I also installed cable.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/1/09 6:33 p.m.

i'll be happy to get my electric hooked uup on day.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/1/09 6:40 p.m.

What's good about carpet in a garage? I could see a carpeted sitting area being helpful in the winter, but the whole thing?

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
11/1/09 6:55 p.m.

My bathroom at the shop is being constructed, includes a shower and has its own heat source.

redzcstandardhatch
redzcstandardhatch New Reader
11/1/09 7:07 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: What's good about carpet in a garage? I could see a carpeted sitting area being helpful in the winter, but the whole thing?

use cheap carpet, toss away when dirty.

roll around under you car and it'd feel like your laying in your living room. carpet rules.

porksboy
porksboy Dork
11/1/09 7:12 p.m.

Gotta be careful with used carpet. I got some that had fleas in it once. I had to toss the carpet and fumigate the shop.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
11/1/09 8:10 p.m.

I'll pass on the carpet...doesn't work with welding. Creepers and/or old high school wrestling mats are just as nice for under car work.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/2/09 7:41 a.m.

I kept an old area rug from my living room and it makes the winters much more comfortable, and the rose pattern adds a much needed touch of class.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/2/09 1:04 p.m.

I've been house shopping for a year and a half. Turned down many for too little parking, no room for expansion, etc.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde Reader
11/2/09 2:59 p.m.

First conversation about our first house:

Wife: "Do you want to go look at Donna's house that she's selling? It's in Bonaire...

Me: " What the hell would I want to live in Bonaire for??!!"

Wife: "It's got a separate 24'x35' shop>>"

Me: "Well, we can go look at it...."

7 years later and we're still there. Worth every penny.

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam Dork
11/2/09 6:33 p.m.

The carpet was just like a 6'x8' piece or something like that, not tacked down at all.

Too bad the house is now under contract

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YZC5Sq5H3qxGqnGCjgvoAGzBq6l5NfHNvg3gZsqBLXqtbv4DBUVIatmsi6h5yDkM