joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
10/19/09 12:50 a.m.

Something went wrong while syncing yesterday, and my phone ended up needing to be reset. No big deal, I just went back to my last backup, which was that day. But, I lost all my internet bookmarks, and all my voice notes and shazam tags. The last two really suck. Any idea how to recover these things? I know the iPhone is supposed to be a gateway and get me to buy other apple stuff, but I'm gettng more and more turned off to apple...

Joey

pigeon
pigeon HalfDork
10/19/09 6:12 a.m.

Try restoring from that same backup again. I went through similar this weekend when I jailbroke and then decided there wasn't enough out there for me to want to stay jb'd. I had to do a full factory reset twice followed by restoring from backup in order to get things working right. I have my safari bookmarks but lost some data in other programs.

littleturquoiseb
littleturquoiseb Reader
10/19/09 6:28 a.m.

The Shazam stuff is gone ... not part of the data backed up. I don't know about the voice notes but I thought the bookmarks were saved. Check your settings on your computer and synch again.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/19/09 8:31 a.m.

Two Words:

Apple Sucks ;)

carguy123
carguy123 Dork
10/19/09 12:40 p.m.
John Brown wrote: Two Words: Apple Sucks ;)

Yeah, just look at the issues people have with Apples and then compare them to daily maintenance on Microsoft stuff.

splitime
splitime Reader
10/19/09 1:06 p.m.
carguy123 wrote:
John Brown wrote: Two Words: Apple Sucks ;)
Yeah, just look at the issues people have with Apples and then compare them to daily maintenance on Microsoft stuff.

The buildings I support are basically a 50/50 split. I warranty more Apple than MS/Dell. Support calls are basically even.

carguy123
carguy123 Dork
10/19/09 1:12 p.m.

I spend several hundred percent more time on MS stuff just trying to keep it running than I do any of my Apple stuff.

Granted iPhones are different, but when I have to do any Apple work it's generally been so long since I've done that same thing I've forgotten how.

My new 3GS iphone has some sensitivity issues, anyone else have those? The touch screen on my old iPhone required a flesh contact to make it work, but my new phone makes phone calls from inside my pocket with no flesh contact at all. It's embarrasing when your butt calls someone.

bludroptop
bludroptop Dork
10/19/09 1:28 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: My new 3GS iphone has some sensitivity issues, anyone else have those? The touch screen on my old iPhone required a flesh contact to make it work, but my new phone makes phone calls from inside my pocket with no flesh contact at all. It's embarrasing when your butt calls someone.

Yes - sometimes mine is tempermental as well, but with the opposite problem: it fails to react to touch.

I think that it is a temperature sensitivity issue more than anything. I've noticed that it doesn't require "flesh" contact (will work through a thin barrier such as a tissue), but, for example, if I don't remove my phone from it's case - the case holds the phone just far enough away from my face that the call gets dropped.

As for your butt calling someone (boy am I going to regret this one) - you must have a hot butt!

Back on topic - the iphone is a much more sophisticated device, but my Treo was rock-solid reliable and the iphone is quirky - sometimes it just does weird stuff for no reason.

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
10/20/09 10:22 a.m.

Well, after resyncing, twice, I'm back to where I was. Happily, all my shazam, bookmarks and voice recordings are still there. Thanks for the help!

yay apple.

Joey

John Brown
10/20/09 10:25 a.m.

A wise man once said that the iPhone is awesome at everything except being a phone...

silence
silence New Reader
10/20/09 10:51 a.m.
carguy123 wrote: My new 3GS iphone has some sensitivity issues, anyone else have those? The touch screen on my old iPhone required a flesh contact to make it work, but my new phone makes phone calls from inside my pocket with no flesh contact at all. It's embarrasing when your butt calls someone.

Its even more embarassing when your butt starts talking to them.

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/20/09 12:42 p.m.
John Brown wrote: A wise man once said that the iPhone is awesome at everything except being a phone...

Huh, mine works just fine as a phone, though I do live in a city versus outer Mongolia so there is usually signal available.

John Brown
10/20/09 12:51 p.m.
fiat22turbo wrote:
John Brown wrote: A wise man once said that the iPhone is awesome at everything except being a phone...
Huh, mine works just fine as a phone, though I do live in a city versus outer Mongolia so there is usually signal available.

It's actually Joeys voice mail message.

EvoRoadster
EvoRoadster New Reader
10/20/09 6:18 p.m.

I inherited my wife's 1st gen iPhone after she upgraded to a 3Gs. Best damn phone/device I have ever owned. It beats every other phone I have ever had, hands down, bar none. Is it perfect? No, but what is.

wbjones
wbjones Reader
10/20/09 8:17 p.m.

life is much simpler when all the phone does is place calls...

thank God I'm not important enough to need to be connected in every different way imaginable to man...

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
9/14/18 6:04 a.m.

Zombie thread, canoe deleted. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
F9ojEXRN7tbf5ccee7f1buE6DRuUIpR09cabvHrAsu2EeSnD3GNZzPgvhIgxmkQY