1 2
DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
4/28/15 7:45 p.m.

Our LG kicked the bucket so I need to buy a new one lest I spend the rest of my days hand washing everything. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFEoMO0pc7k

What should I get?

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
4/28/15 8:03 p.m.

Something with a steel tub - I can't believe how quiet our new one is compared to the old dishwasher.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/28/15 8:03 p.m.

We got a Bosch last year. Seems to get good ratings. It's nearly silent.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
4/28/15 8:10 p.m.

My $1000 Kitchenaid started leaking after a year and a half. Manufacturer's warranty is a year. The repair cost over $400. If I hadn't been able to get it covered under my Discover Card double warranty coverage, I'd have been plenty steamed. Would not recommend.

failboat
failboat UltraDork
4/28/15 8:22 p.m.

we were just in the same boat. cost to fix the old samsung was going to be $400+, plus the parts were backordered (because its a berkeleying samsung and their parts are always berkeleying backordered)

we ordered a $530 bosch ascenta from bestbuy that had a lot of good reviews. will be delivered friday.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
4/28/15 8:23 p.m.

My next one will be a Bosch.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
4/28/15 8:57 p.m.

We have a Thermador, which is just a rebranded Bosch. The house is an open plan, meaning the kitchen is open to the living areas. My brother and his wife were over and she asked him "do you hear the dishwasher?" He said, "no." She said, "exactly!"

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/28/15 9:07 p.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote: We got a Bosch last year. Seems to get good ratings. It's nearly silent.

We got a Bosch about 3 years ago based largely on ratings for sound along with acceptable performance. We have a fairly open floor plan for the kitchen, dining room, and living room so quiet was a big deal. We do run it more often than the one it replaced because the walls are noticeably thicker and the space is less flexible, but the sound difference is amazing. Better pre-scrubbing is required than the old one, but I'm willing to do that. They are not inexpensive, when we bought ours I think the retail price was $1100 or $1200. We got it for about $800 after taxes, but we put a lot of effort into finding the best price we could.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
4/28/15 9:09 p.m.

We bought a Kenmore a year ago and it's been great. It had good ratings, a steel tub, and was in our price range, so we went with it.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UberDork
4/28/15 9:24 p.m.

I buy mine flowers, chocolate and occasionally, jewelery and it just keeps going.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/28/15 9:27 p.m.

I have a Bosch, its very quiet and many times the only way to know is running is by looking for the red light that it projects onto the floor.

My only problem with it is that it does not dry the dishes once finished.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non Dork
4/28/15 10:14 p.m.

My GE Profile is still going strong 7 years later.

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
4/28/15 10:57 p.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: I buy mine flowers, chocolate and occasionally, jewelery and it just keeps going.

And here I was going to make some crude joke about divorce and remarry....

tr8todd
tr8todd Dork
4/29/15 6:40 a.m.

Last summer I bought a new dishwasher at the big depot box store. Got it home installed it and set it to work. On about the third or fourth use, water came pouring out all over the floor and damaged my hardwood floor. Turns out there was a crack in the plastic tub, and it took a few heat cycles for the crack to displace itself enough to cause a leak large enough to see. First couple cycles the water just spilled into the basement on some Triumph parts. Call the big store and they won't give me a new one. Had to go thru the manufacturers warranty program. Service tech from a national company(A&E??) owned by Sears comes out. He agrees the tub is cracked, lifetime warranty, bla bla bla. Orders a new tub, blanket and keyboard. Don't know why he ordered the key board, but its still here new in the box. Two weeks later I get a call, there is a part number for the tubs, but they don't actually sell them or carry them. I try to get a new DW out of them but no luck. They pull a tub from the assembly line and UPS it to me. Tech comes back with his I pad full of instructions on how to basically strip everything off the old tub and install it on the new tub. Since I'm the plumber, the DW is already out on a couple of blankets on my kitchen floor ready to go. He says it is suppose to take 4 point something hours to do the job. I make a pot of coffee and settle in to watch the show. Nice to finally see someone other than me fixing something around here. 45 minutes later, the guy literally gives up. He's about to loose it. I pour him a cup of coffee and set him down at my kitchen table. He watches for the next two hours as I rebuild my own DW. I finish, install it and test it. All's good. He writes up his bill, which is $168 an hour billed to the DW manufacturer, and doesn't leave. He says he can't get to the next job too early as they bill by the hour and he has to bill for 4 point something hours. Had a similar story for a front load washing machine, but I couldn't even find a company to come out and do the warranty work because the manufacturer wouldn't pay enough hours to do the job. They sent me the parts and I fixed it myself. Same well known manufacturer, and according to their commercials, they have repairmen just sitting around because nothing breaks. So the moral of the story, if you are going to buy a new appliance, buy it from an appliance shop that has their own repair division. On this type of purchase, stay away from the big box stores.

bentwrench
bentwrench HalfDork
4/29/15 7:07 a.m.

Kenmore is so noisy I have to turn up the TV, and yell louder at the wife!

Next one will be a Bosch.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
4/29/15 7:11 a.m.

I have a really long story about E36 M3ty as-delivered dishwashers. Basically, I get a huge discount and I still don't buy GE appliances anymore. The fact that the brand is selling to Electrolux is telling as well.

The stupid thing still doesn't work right.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
4/29/15 7:42 a.m.

I would also recommend Bosch.

The loft-style apartment I just moved into has all Bosch appliances. I don't even notice the dishwasher running until it beeps at me that it's done. Same thing for the washer and dryer, although they are behind a door.

cdowd
cdowd HalfDork
4/29/15 7:58 a.m.

Bosch here as well and love it.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
4/29/15 8:42 a.m.

TIL: Bosch is going to be my next dishwasher.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/29/15 9:05 a.m.

When we bought our new house in 2001 it came with a new GE DW. It ran fine, if a little loud, for about 4 years and then we got a notice in the mail about a recall on it. GE gave us the choice of getting the old one fixed or a voucher for a new one. We ended up getting a new one from Sears. I installed it, used both blankets, and it has been running like a champ ever since.

16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
4/29/15 2:14 p.m.

Another vote for Bosch. I had a GE that totally sucked. I wouldn't clean anything on the top rack and randomly leaked. I bought a used Bosch that I found on craigslist, and it's relieved a lot of stress from my life. If you would have told me how infuriating a E36 M3ty dishwasher can be, I wouldn't have believed you.

Sput
Sput Reader
4/29/15 6:16 p.m.

We replaced ours about a year ago, did the installation myself. I was amazed how easy it was. (And I am NOT the mechanic you all are). But I did get a tip from a friend that proved pretty important - be careful how you run the drain hose. It's important to make sure there are no extra loops and bends to capture fluid.

Wayslow
Wayslow HalfDork
4/29/15 8:50 p.m.

We have a Miele dishwasher and the only way you can tell if it's running is if the lights are on. We have a Bosch front load washing machine and have been very pleased with it too so I imagine their dishwashers are just as good.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/27/18 5:47 a.m.
RossD said:

TIL: Bosch is going to be my next dishwasher.

Me too, apparently. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
4/27/18 5:59 a.m.

In reply to tr8todd :

I’ve learned that just about all manufacturers use that a and e company.  They are very hot and miss on techs. Sometimes you get one that is seasoned and can do it in his sleep. Sometimes you get your fellow.  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rs4TbijNd2gQkUtPyxLWrYvlpExqVjS9dlNKhrmhYciI1K2iZdF1lllqsX0IA2Om