1 2
Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa SuperDork
12/5/20 7:25 p.m.

Been feeling kinda off, and one thing that's always helped right me has been cooking and eating a good meal.  Problem is I don't have any thoughts on what to make, right now none of the stuff I normally like feels right, so I thought I'd ask the hive for ideas.

I'm outside Tampa, so while it has been cool a few nights it isn't really the weather for true winter dishes, so maybe fall suggestions might be more appropriate?

As an offering of the same, here's Dad's recipe for Puttanesca (which, yeah, may not be fall/winter but it still works for me)  I like saving some of the sauce and garlic bread and having a dipping sauce snack with both the next day.

Lightly brown one large diced onion, and 4 cloves of minced garlic in 4 Tablespoons of olive oil.
Add 4 anchovy filets, stir to break them up.

Add:
One 28 oz. can of diced tomatoes with juice (you can use fresh Roma tomatoes, dipped in boiling water to peel them, & chopped, if you prefer)
One 6 oz. can of tomato paste
1/2 cup tightly packed, chopped Kalamata olives
One 3.5 oz. jar of capers, with juice
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
A splash of red table wine
Black pepper to taste

(Understand, I don't really measure ingredients; I just approximate them.)

Simmer sauce while pasta cooks.  Drain pasta when it's al dente, top with sauce, add one Tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil, toss and serve with crispy French bread and a green salad with vinegar & olive oil, salt & pepper.

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/5/20 7:38 p.m.

Up here it's squash time.  Butternut, acorn, etc. I like to peel and chop into 3/4" squares and roast them with butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon sprinkled on top.  

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/5/20 7:45 p.m.

We just made chorizo and turkey chili. Don't have a recipe, because its chili. Also did some butter dip biscuits, but I added some shredded cheddar and sauteed some garlic in the butter before using it, to make garlic cheddar biscuits. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/5/20 7:50 p.m.

Chicken pot pie with biscuits has been a popular one here lately. Linky

I'm itching to make chili, but the children are scared after I made bear mace, err hot sauce, this summer. Yupididit, what'd you think btw?

I've been baking, a lot, so we've been going a little sandwich crazy

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/5/20 8:00 p.m.

I got a good price on some chicken thighs.  Tonight I tried a Rachel Ray recipe for Chicken Paprikash. It wasn't that good.

I need a good chicken paprikas recipe; one like I used to get at my brother in laws parents. His father was an immigrant from Hungary.  His mother was an immigrant from Poland. 

dropstep
dropstep UberDork
12/5/20 8:05 p.m.

Chili! Sadly no one in my house eats it aside from me.

biscuits and gravy is a popular cold weather meal. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/5/20 8:05 p.m.

This will load you up for winter:  GLOP

1 lb penne or elbows or similar

1 lb sharp cheddar, in 1/2"-3/4" chunks

1 lb ground beef

1 green pepper, in 1/2"-3/4" chunks

1 large onion, similar

4 cans tomato soup concentrate

1 small can tomato paste

2 small cans sliced or cut mushrooms, drained

Worcestershire sauce to taste

While boiling the pasta, brown the ground beef, pepper, and onions. Preheat oven to 350 dF.

In a roasting pan, dump out the canned stuff and add a couple tablespoons of Worcestershire.  Add about 3/4 of the cheese and reserve the rest . 

When cooked, drain the beef / vegetables and pasta. Add to roasting pan and mix well.  Scatter reserved cheese chunks over the top.

Bake in oven for 40-45 minutes until browned and bubbly on top. 

You can also do all the prep and assembly the night before, refrigerate,  and then bake when ready to eat the following day.  If you do that, cover pan with foil for the first 30 minutes and allow an extra 15 minutes or so to bake. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/5/20 8:07 p.m.

Also look up the Fanny Farmer recipe for Chicken Paprika.  We like that in our house. 

LarryNH (Forum Supporter)
LarryNH (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/5/20 8:09 p.m.

Try the Potato Gnochi recipe on surlatable.com.  I don't boil them, I crisp them in a sauté pan in butter with sage.  They make a great side for roast chicken or beef short ribs.

OP, since you're in FL, shrimp and grits? Giada De Laurentis recipe on Food Network is simple and quite good.

rustyvw
rustyvw GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/5/20 8:14 p.m.

I'm going to make a big batch of deer jerky tomorrow.  That always feels like fall to me.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW HalfDork
12/5/20 8:20 p.m.

It has only been below freezing a few times here so far. But it's going to get worse from here until April. So today I made a chicken curry this afternoon, I used a premade base. But it was still tasty. 
Also had a few pot pies, some pulled pork, and of course chicken soup recently. All were great choices. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/5/20 8:20 p.m.

I love a nice sauerbraten, I may make one next week. Alton Brown's is my favorite recipe with a good easy to make gravy 

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/sauerbraten-recipe-1944490

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/5/20 8:26 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Here's Hungary Bills recipe.

I say cook the chicken however you like it first, and I wanted more paprika. It sounds like a lot, but it worked out very well

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa SuperDork
12/5/20 8:27 p.m.

In reply to LarryNH (Forum Supporter) :

I've been meaning to make some gnocchi for a while.  I had some cooked like you describe at a place in Grand Rapids last year when I visited some friends that was one of the best things I've ever had.

Shrimp and Grits is a staple around the house, when shrimp isn't too high in price.  

I've also been meaning to make Alton Brown's Red Beans and Rice as well, but it is literally a 3 day recipe with all the prep work

LarryNH (Forum Supporter)
LarryNH (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/5/20 8:58 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

The gnochi is easy to make for a GRM'er and a little messy and sticky.  I freeze them and we cook when needed.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/5/20 9:34 p.m.

For me, tis the season for stuffed peppers. I can't help with a recipe because I get them from Costco. 

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
12/5/20 9:41 p.m.

I made a batch of this stuff I call Lasagna Stew last week and that was fun.  It's yet another version of "chili" if I'm honest with myself.  I browned a pound of Italian sausage, drained and threw in crock pot.  Added a can of chicken stock, a can of "pasta sauce" (this is like 80 cents, most basic spag sauce in a tin can), and a drained can of petite diced tomatoes.  Diced up a few carrots to keep the acid at bay and threw those in along with most of a white onion and a bunch of mushroom caps.  Some pesto out of the freezer and oregano and some chili flakes.  Diced garlic, you get the idea.  It's supposed to taste like a lasagna!  I let that simmer for a couple of hours.

Drained and rinse a tub of cottage cheese in a collander and threw the curds in and stirred it up and let it go another half hour.  Serve like stew with a chunk of bread on the side.  Or you can boil some noodles and throw those on top as it's dished up.  Can add a can of rinsed white beans if you'd like.  It reheats nice and if you keep the noodles out of it the consistency stays nice for meals later.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/6/20 1:01 a.m.

I roasted a chicken, made frites and sauteed brussel sprouts this evening. I'll have chicken for the next day and a half, the frites will likely be gone tomorrow. 

Katya4me
Katya4me New Reader
12/6/20 6:42 a.m.

If you like butternut squash, honeynut squash is the single serving version and the skin is edible too.  We made stuffed honeynut squash the other week and they turned out really well: https://gardeninthekitchen.com/sausage-apple-stuffed-honeynut-squash/ 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/6/20 7:35 a.m.

Rachael Ray is local here, she peaked when she started with dog food.

In a casserole dish:  Acorn squash in 1" slices, 6 chicken thighs, S&P then drizzle on maple syrup.  Bake 350* for a while.

Or ...

In a 9" pie plate or casserole dish, mix together:

2 cups cooked chicken or turkey meat, cubed

1 - 1.5 cup frozen mixed veggies

1 can Cream of Chicken soup

Mix it up.

Make a box of Fluffy Corn Muffin mix IAW directions

Spoon onto the chicken mix, smooth out.

Bake 375* for 35-40 minutes.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/6/20 9:13 a.m.

Just last night I went to mom and dad's.  Mom had put a big spiral ring of sweet italian sausage in the slow cooker with a bunch of apples, sage, and a little bit of maple syrup.  Un-berkeleying-real how good that was.  She got the idea from a similar recipe using pork chops.

Pork n Kraut is always a good winter choice for me.

And I love a good soup/stew in the crock pot.  I love browning a big beef or venison roast, then just tossing it in the crock pot with a can of tomatoes and every leftover vegetable I can get my hands on.  That half-bag of broccoli in the freezer, a couple onions, corn, peas, beans, whatever.

One soup I've been making for a while now comes from a restaurant in Greenwich Village.  They didn't give me the recipe, but they did describe how they make it.  On a cookie sheet, lay out sliced Roma tomatoes, sliced onion, and some garlic cloves.  Drizzle with olive oil.  Roast at 400 until the tomatoes get soft and the onions get crispy brown edges.  Blend and add some cream.  Super yum.

I also sometimes do a quick chicken dish that is super warm and wintry.  Just put some chicken breasts in a baking dish and cover with a jar of apricot preserves and soy sauce.  Top it with an aromatic like chives, shallots, or onions and maybe a squeeze of lemon juice depending on the sweetness of the apricots.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
12/6/20 9:17 a.m.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/6/20 9:20 a.m.

You can also make pretty much anything taste like fall with some of this Roastmary blend.

It's from a local specialty herb shop that grows their own stuff and makes blends.  Roastmary isn't anything special - mostly rosemary, garlic, salt, and a few other fall spices like thyme and sage, but it is just ridiculously awesome.  Makes a great seasoning to add to olive oil for dipping bread, too.

Use it as a rub for chicken, pork, lightly on white fish, or (my favorite) mix it with butter and smear it on a turkey between the skin and breast.

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UberDork
12/6/20 9:26 a.m.

Winter is Cajun/Creole comfort food time. Oh and Texas style chili time.

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
12/6/20 2:35 p.m.

Chicken tacos

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ktQVSkFeA1K4rdyvznvyqVD8xEwqtoCJ6Pv5vdyhlQImBpGCvGbxQui4dOPtQFV2