914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
3/22/12 6:17 p.m.

I am repainting the sailplane trailer and the rearend is funky. It's 3/8" thick plywood. OK, it was marine grade and in decent shape when it was fabbed, but now it's punky and funky.

Roughly 44 X 27 inches and 3/8" thick. I don't want to do this every other season so what do you folks think about something polymer, formica, Corian (kidding)

There are handles outboard of each tail light and as you lift the clamshell it flexes. Wood can flex, plexi and lexan won't. Something cutting board-ish.

Thoughts

Thanx, Dan

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/22/12 6:36 p.m.

why not leave it wood and glass it over?

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/22/12 7:46 p.m.

If you glass over the plywood or use an epoxy sealer, you should be fine for 10 years or more.

Do not use pressure treated plywood, as it will corrode any aluminum or steel fasteners you use.

Edit: You could just glass the whole thing, too.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess UltimaDork
3/22/12 7:47 p.m.

Yeah, I was thinking fiberglass, but then I'm redoing a Europa right now, so....

mad_machine
3/22/12 8:10 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: Yeah, I was thinking fiberglass, but then I'm redoing a Europa right now, so....

now why would that make you think of glassfibre?

ThePhranc
ThePhranc HalfDork
3/22/12 8:12 p.m.

Outdoor weather resistant PVC sheeting. Comes in 4x8 sheet easy to cut strong light weight and comes white.

mad_machine
3/22/12 8:15 p.m.

something else to think of... if you go too light, you might start getting issues when trying to tow that trailer

Strizzo
Strizzo UltraDork
3/22/12 8:54 p.m.

Get some seaboard from west marine or similar store, it's like a heavy duty nylon type board that won't rot.

spriteracer
spriteracer Reader
3/22/12 9:43 p.m.

I love Starboard. It's the stuff many boat accesories like cup holders and cutting boards are made of. It cuts easily with a jig saw and a router makes nice rounded edges. Unfortunately, it's not that cheap. Tap Plastics has a sheet like you need for about $80.00

Appleseed
Appleseed PowerDork
3/22/12 11:53 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: Yeah, I was thinking fiberglass, but then I'm redoing a Europa right now, so....

Europa?

mad_machine
3/23/12 10:01 a.m.

I bet that europa is more reliable

EDT
EDT New Reader
3/23/12 5:15 p.m.

Me and my dad built one of the first Europas around 15 years ago, but recently sold it. That was the best flying, most reliable plane I've ever seen. Fast, economical, and pretty.

mad_machine
3/23/12 6:55 p.m.

I really need to finish up getting my pilots license

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TyvWwEH0CtzIfskGisHEJDuRcy1oaslHbx0NJjYGic8SjBEXLkZMIi15YeHZ0GDP