1 2 3 4
SilverFleet
SilverFleet Reader
6/21/10 3:54 p.m.

Don't know if anyone said this yet:

Hawaii: Well, the Ferrari 308 of course. Not only because Magnum P.I drove one, but like Hawaii, it's kinda exotic (but not as exotic as other islands/cars like it) and expensive to live with.

Buzz Killington
Buzz Killington Reader
6/21/10 4:01 p.m.
SilverFleet wrote: Don't know if anyone said this yet: Hawaii: Well, the Ferrari 308 of course. Not only because Magnum P.I drove one, but like Hawaii, it's kinda exotic (but not as exotic as other islands/cars like it) and expensive to live with.

but unlike the 308, it is not disappointing at all when you finally experience it. so maybe a 355.

Kia_racer
Kia_racer HalfDork
6/21/10 4:10 p.m.

TX = An old Studebaker 2 1/2 ton gas model. It takes forever to get anywhere and it uses a lot of fuel. Plus it will carry everything you will ever need.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Reader
6/21/10 4:32 p.m.
Buzz Killington wrote:
SilverFleet wrote: Don't know if anyone said this yet: Hawaii: Well, the Ferrari 308 of course. Not only because Magnum P.I drove one, but like Hawaii, it's kinda exotic (but not as exotic as other islands/cars like it) and expensive to live with.
but unlike the 308, it is not disappointing at all when you finally experience it. so maybe a 355.

Good point!

96DXCivic
96DXCivic Dork
6/21/10 4:49 p.m.

Kentucky does have Corvette that is built here but I think it reflects the whole state. I mean there is horse racing and bourbon. Bourbon like the Corvette are not the most sophisticated thing in the world but it is damn good.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/21/10 5:47 p.m.

I disagree about the Forester for Vermont. Sure there are tons of them here (Subaru IS the No. one selling manufacturer in New England) but that for me only means too many people living the perception of AWD necessity. I've been almost everywhere in VT and have never had AWD.

This state is largely rural and full of small contractors building homes for part-time residents from NY, CT, MA. Only near Burlington do you get the "city" vibe.

So if I had to name a car to represent VT it would have to be dependable, independent, tough, and inexpensive. An old CJ works for me. Of course it would have to be mostly white with a little bit of rust.

I grew up on Long Island--Camaro Berlinetta, add mullet.

Finally, maybe the Gay and Lesbian crowd favors Subarus more because they were the first to actually advertise to them realistically and with respect. You could just as easily say they are more popular with teachers. Any car that is the best selling car in a region is likely to have a variety of groups showing it to be their favorite.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/21/10 5:54 p.m.
Buzz Killington wrote:
Woody wrote:
914Driver wrote: Boy, I can't think of anything for New York. Maybe something Italian, you know; high maintenence, high cost, lots of down time, pretty in the eye of few beholders. British car? If it ain't broke, it will be. Costs way too much to go too slow. Wally, bail me out here.
New York? Easy: Yellow Caprice Classic taxi with no hubcaps. 860,000 miles. Needs an air freshener.
so explain how that is like the state of New York. the fact that there are a lot of them in NY doesn't count.

Because it best represents the State of New York. It's the car that you think of when you hear "New York".

Would you have preferred a Nissan Pathfinder full of explosives?

JoeyM
JoeyM HalfDork
6/21/10 6:01 p.m.
SilverFleet wrote:
Buzz Killington wrote:
Good point!

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
6/21/10 6:14 p.m.
Woody wrote: Because it best represents the CITY of New York.

FTFY.

Upstate is a different story. I partialy agree with a P71 with lights going, if only because you realise your situation and go "Aww, E36 M3..."

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
6/21/10 6:16 p.m.
Woody wrote: Connecticut would be a Lexus, with a AAA card, just in case.

I would say...

Cadillac Cimmaron.

Pretentious and craptastic all at the same time.

or

A ford country squire wagon, cause there are some beautiful places in this state and it begs for a family drive on sunday.

donalson
donalson SuperDork
6/21/10 6:52 p.m.
integraguy wrote: I'm moving to Fl. in the near future (maybe?) and thought that the pickup with mudders was one of 2 images I have of the state...wait, make it 3. The other 2? A Chrysler Sebring convertible rental.....and a borderline clapped-out "Big 3" giganto sedan (driven by someone looking days out of the grave).

the prob is that FL doesn't have hardly anyone of it's own... and just 1 vehicle can't cover it... it prob doesn't help that I lived in one of the major tourist towns for way to long...

and ya the muddin pick up truck is pretty common... but thats more the AL/GA influence... and you even get 2 flavors of them... the big shiny ones that will NEVER even touch the grass (more likely to have truck nutz on these)... or the ones that are perpetually covered with mud/dirt.

the sebring 'vert rental is prob about the best summary I can think of lol...

land yacht "lux" car driven by a canuk or someone from the "north"

but somehow I picture an RV towing another car...

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
6/21/10 6:52 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: I think GA is a decent car with a busted radiator. It's pretty nice when it's not overheating.

I concur. Your analogy is especially on target since it was made on the first day of "summer".. Kinda cool today in Macon: only 93 degrees..

Rufledt
Rufledt Reader
6/21/10 9:24 p.m.
RossD wrote: Wisconsin would have to be a pickup truck from one of the big three. Or a grand am/g6

i Thought exactly this with the pickup truck, but it has to be a little old and rusty, and burning a lot of oil, because the salt rusts everything and there is no tech/smog inspection at all.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/21/10 9:58 p.m.
914Driver wrote: Boy, I can't think of anything for New York. Maybe something Italian, you know; high maintenence, high cost, lots of down time, pretty in the eye of few beholders. British car? If it ain't broke, it will be. Costs way too much to go too slow. Wally, bail me out here.

Abandoned Packard

It used to be something but there is probably no fixing it now

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
6/21/10 10:20 p.m.
Wally wrote:
Abandoned Packard It used to be something but there is probably no fixing it now

Wally, now we have a definitive car that works for the entire state, thank you.

924guy
924guy Dork
6/21/10 10:39 p.m.
integraguy wrote: Every post so far has been excellent. Once or twice I've started something on here and it has not worked....but this time. I grew up in Pa. and thought the Dairy truck and/or pickup truck was "spot on". I'm moving to Fl. in the near future (maybe?) and thought that the pickup with mudders was one of 2 images I have of the state...wait, make it 3. The other 2? A Chrysler Sebring convertible rental.....and a borderline clapped-out "Big 3" giganto sedan (driven by someone looking days out of the grave).

This is the car that defines most of Florida...

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/21/10 11:13 p.m.

Michigan- unfinished kit car, because theres ALWAYS construction on these roads.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/21/10 11:13 p.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: Michigan- unfinished kit car, because theres ALWAYS construction on these roads. Just when you think you're done, you have to tear back into it because something went wrong.
integraguy
integraguy HalfDork
6/21/10 11:16 p.m.

924guy......EXACTLY.

Though I must admit that on my 4 or 5 visits in the last 12 months I did NOT see all that many Grand Marquis or rwd Chevy Caprices. It seemed to be like everywhere else, that is LOTS of minivans and SUVs.

Often perception isn't in tune with reality.

Luke
Luke SuperDork
6/22/10 12:11 a.m.

I liken Western Australia to a Mazda Roadpacer, (Holden Premier with a 13B.)

Relaxed, cruisy, runs hot all the time, and very slow off the mark. Takes a while to catch up with the rest of the country. Secretly, though, thinks its innovative and brilliant.

CaptainSpaulding
CaptainSpaulding New Reader
6/22/10 12:20 a.m.
Rufledt wrote:
RossD wrote: Wisconsin would have to be a pickup truck from one of the big three. Or a grand am/g6
i Thought exactly this with the pickup truck, but it has to be a little old and rusty, and burning a lot of oil, because the salt rusts everything and there is no tech/smog inspection at all.

I think this best describes Iowa and Nebraska. But then so does a combine cruising down the highway at 25mph.

EastCoastRoadster
EastCoastRoadster New Reader
6/22/10 12:30 a.m.

New Jersey, a Range Rover/Land Rover. The stuff they advertise look all nice and classy and luxuroius, specs look outstanding, the beaches the mountians and location. Then the ugly truth. Expensive nothing works or if it does, for long and every little thing costs a fortune to repair. Which is why it's appropriate for New York, right next door, to be a Taxi, so New Jersey can get to work

Oh, and Rhode Island would be BMW Isetta

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt HalfDork
6/22/10 12:38 a.m.

You can really tell what people think of their home state by what they suggest. I was born in New York, but my home state is North Carolina, and I love it here.

An old first-gen Camaro, sort of halfway between OEM and Pro Touring. Aside from the obvious reason that there are a ton of Camaros (especially first-gens) here, there is a very strong car culture here and you can expect to see nearly anything driving around here if you spend any time outdoors (and not just domestics) People take care of their "fun" cars. Partially between OEM and Pro Touring because the cities are rapidly modernizing and attracting high-tech industries split with its rural and slower-paced areas.

There's probably a thousand different suggestions, depending on what people think of it. Someone could probably work in a Ranchero or an F150 Lightning to get all artsy about the varied terrain - mountains, beaches/islands, swamps - but I'm happy with the Camaro.

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt HalfDork
6/22/10 12:39 a.m.
96DXCivic wrote: Bourbon like the Corvette are not the most sophisticated thing in the world but it is damn good.

...and they can hold their own with the best, fancier stuff from other places.

Spot on with the Merc Grand Marquis for Florida. My grandparents had a white '85 and they lived in.... Flordia.

4eyes
4eyes Reader
6/23/10 11:21 p.m.

Arkansas is an old Tyson chicken truck, with half the tires bald, and an engine that smokes like hell if you try to rush it. But it always starts, and get you where you need to go. Plus it carrys enough food for it's neighbors. Oklahoma is a new F-350 crewcab dually with all the luxury add-ons, and it's got a 36' horse trailer behind with several thousands of dollars worth of horses, tack, and living area. But it's still got cowE36 M3 on the floormats, and the windshield is covered with bugs.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IBs3qfHHN5TNM1JH8IKIclltQdZJsgBIaMvOHDSm0N5gwq3fWxblAp5myQ2MsUhz