Lol

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/24/21 6:56 p.m.
Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/24/21 7:33 p.m.

In reply to Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) :

I have recently been informed that I bear more than a passing attitude resemblance to randall. I take it as a compliment. 

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Reader
4/28/21 5:44 a.m.

That was freaking hilarious, thank you

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
4/28/21 8:18 a.m.
Mndsm said:

In reply to Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) :

I have recently been informed that I bear more than a passing attitude resemblance to randall. I take it as a compliment. 

I just read that in Randall's voice.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
4/28/21 9:36 a.m.

This video is 100% on point. Every US citizen should have to serve at least 2 years in retail.

Retail is Hell on Earth. Spent my high school and college years in retail. The stories I could tell...

wawazat
wawazat Dork
4/28/21 11:21 a.m.

Angry lives pretty close to IKEA in MI.   Saw the thread title and got confuzzled there for a minute.

Worked retail-sales and management-early in my career and hated it.  People could be screwballs and demanded the world.  Hated the holidays for years because it was a battle from mid November until mid January.  Crazy hours, no time off, and migraines.  Glad to be done with it.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
4/28/21 11:41 a.m.

5 years of retail.

Everyone needs to do at least a two-year stretch to teach them how to be a decent customer.

New York Nick
New York Nick GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/28/21 12:05 p.m.

That is good stuff. I admit I am guilty of the didn't scan must be free comment.

There are a million good Kevin Smith movie quotes... something like 36, does that include me?

Also I am a clown (for the Shriners for fun) you can't imagine how many "stop clowning around" comments you get.

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/28/21 1:47 p.m.

I worked chain store retail auto parts in HS and college. I don't wish a career in retail on anyone. Auto parts customers are a special breed though. A majority are irritated that they are working on their car instead of doing pretty much anything else. Most of them don't understand why you don't have the part they need for their 20 YO POS in stock on a Friday night at 10PM and wonder why it will be the middle of next week before you can get it. I've sure that I've heard every question about product pricing, coupons and competitor's sales at least twice. All this and more can be yours for a couple dollars over minimum wage. Actually they tried to steer me into the store management track. Thank God I wasn't stupid enough to fall into that trap.

I agree that everyone should have to work a stint at a customer service job. 

I also encouraged my son to get a job as a bagger at the grocery store. I think it's a great eye opener/warning. Do well in college or this is what your life could look like.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UberDork
4/28/21 1:51 p.m.
Tony Sestito said:

This video is 100% on point. Every US citizen should have to serve at least 2 years in retail.

My wife never worked in retail, somehow.  It shows, sometimes and irritates me every time.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
4/28/21 3:04 p.m.
CAinCA said:

I worked chain store retail auto parts in HS and college. I don't wish a career in retail on anyone. Auto parts customers are a special breed though. A majority are irritated that they are working on their car instead of doing pretty much anything else. Most of them don't understand why you don't have the part they need for their 20 YO POS in stock on a Friday night at 10PM and wonder why it will be the middle of next week before you can get it. I've sure that I've heard every question about product pricing, coupons and competitor's sales at least twice. All this and more can be yours for a couple dollars over minimum wage. Actually they tried to steer me into the store management track. Thank God I wasn't stupid enough to fall into that trap.

I agree that everyone should have to work a stint at a customer service job. 

I also encouraged my son to get a job as a bagger at the grocery store. I think it's a great eye opener/warning. Do well in college or this is what your life could look like.

Hey, me too!

Ever had hard parts thrown at your head on multiple occasions? Ever had an angry mob threaten to kill you because they arrived after the store, which had been open for 15 hours that day, was closed? How about watching a guy assault his entire family because he was refused a cash refund for used, mismatched, and fouled spark plugs with no receipt? And have you caught multiple drunk drivers red-handed and turned them over to the authorities, including ones that were drinking while driving your store's delivery trucks?

If you have said yes to any of the above, you probably worked at a big box auto parts chain. All of those things happened, and more. Much more.

Lee
Lee UberDork
4/28/21 3:26 p.m.

I wrote service at a large metro area Japanese brand dealer.

I learned A LOT, got me more comfortable talking to strangers, and all of those Saturdays probably took a good decade off of my life.  I sometimes think back on some interactions I had and how I would handle them differently today.  I'm not sure any job is worth the verbal abuse, but we were pretty well indoctrinated to make the customer happy and keep that CSI score up.  If I had to do it again, I don't think you could pay me enough, but if I did, it wouldn't be long before I got fired for telling what a vicious customer what they could do to themselves and how.

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/28/21 3:59 p.m.
Tony Sestito said:

Hey, me too!

Ever had hard parts thrown at your head on multiple occasions? Ever had an angry mob threaten to kill you because they arrived after the store, which had been open for 15 hours that day, was closed? How about watching a guy assault his entire family because he was refused a cash refund for used, mismatched, and fouled spark plugs with no receipt? And have you caught multiple drunk drivers red-handed and turned them over to the authorities, including ones that were drinking while driving your store's delivery trucks?

If you have said yes to any of the above, you probably worked at a big box auto parts chain. All of those things happened, and more. Much more.

Actually, no. No, throwing of hard parts. Thankfully. That wouldn't have ended well for them. I've always been a pasifist until I was forced to defend myself. My father always said "I don't care who starts the fight but you had better end it". I wrestled and played football in HS. I wasn't huge but I was strong as an ox. 

Yes, on the guys yelling or worse at their family members in the store. 

I remember people trying to "return" all kinds of used parts, whether they bought them there or not. 

I watched a guy convert a Hudson Hornet with chicken wire for a few of the windows convert it from 6V to 12V one part at a time. It was an all day endeavor but it worked and he managed not to burn it to the ground. 

Guy showed up in a Mopar something with a 440. Distributor clamp screw was stripped. Carb fire. Melted foam air cleaner. Lots of fun.

Pizza delivery driver drove through the front of the store. He was a friend of one of the employees. They hired him a couple months later. 

Someone pulled a LARGE fuse out of the panel (220v 100A or so) BY HAND and threw it out in a field behind the store.

A friend of mine in HS pulled up in his late 70's Chevy 454 C10 with a giant hole in the grill and radiator. Apparently the mailbox he tried to run down was connected to a split rail fence. 

Tons of drunks, meth heads, etc. Lot's of police activity in the parking lot.

Older slimey co-worker was selling coke out of the store. Turns out the big female cashier with a nasty disposition was taking care of his needs so he would take care of her needs. Gross on both counts.

Huge Native American co-worker who was always on something (or more than one). He lost the whole front corner of his Chevette drving down the road one night. Wheel, spindle, etc. 

Almost guaranteed that someone would show up at 10:59PM and want to buy a bunch of crap to fix their car. People screaming and pounding on the doors at 11:05PM etc.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
4/28/21 4:46 p.m.

I will say that my time slinging parts wasn't all bad. I met some cool people along the way, including some really good friends. I also befriended a few customers, including one guy who was impressed enough that I knew what a Pontiac V8 and how to order stuff with a paper catalog that he gave me the engine that's sitting in my Trans Am. He still gives me "buddy deal" prices when I bump into him at swap meets. But man, I would never, ever do it again. Not in 1000 years. 

Grocery store was not quite as bad as the auto parts store, but it was awful in lots of ways. It was a small, high-end store in a rich suburb of Boston brimming with old money, so the clientele was mostly Yuppies/old rich people. The abuse was more on the employment side of things. Mistreatment of employees, especially the female ones, was commonplace. Harassment and hazing was accepted. But yeah, we had some weirdos.

-Yes, all those people in Clerks that like to go through the eggs and milk are REAL. We had one lady that would regularly storm into our back room demanding to see the crates of milk because she thought we were lying about not having fresher dates than the ones on the shelf (in reality, we turned over milk so fast that the dates were within a few days of each other). We gave them a wide berth because many couldn't help themselves due to mental impairments.

-I caught people trying to scam the store once by purposely dropping grapes and "slipping" on them to sue the store. Had to make a statement to the store's lawyers.

-Saw a guy leap over an entire chilled case to punch a coworker in the face. She (yes, SHE) beat the crap out of him and the cops had to arrest the guy.

-The craziest by far was the two old ladies that came into the store one Sunday and were complaining about EVERYTHING. Store was always immaculate, but they were yelling at managers because it was dirty. They were picking up produce and throwing it at people because "it was a disgrace to charge so much for this crap". But when they completed their tour of complaints, they got to the checkout line, which was long, since we were really busy. One of the ladies lost it, screaming and yelling... and get this... she dropped DEAD on the spot. Had a massive heart attack. Other lady with her fainted too. No BS, she got so worked up that she straight up died.

-I quit when the store manager wouldn't give me time off when my grandmother died. He didn't believe me that she died. That was that.

Again, like the parts store, there were good people there, and I learned some important life lessons and made some life-long friends.

11GTCS
11GTCS HalfDork
4/28/21 6:32 p.m.

I firmly believe everyone should work at least one low skill / entry level job.  It certainly reinforced the value of an education and / or a skilled trade in a young 11GTCS.   My summers were running one of the town day camps with several other high school classmates during the day, then hopping on my bike and riding across town to work 4 till close at Mickey Dees.  My parents would come by and grab the bike with my Dads work van and drop off the family car so I could drive home at 1:00 AM.   Rinse and repeat all summer.   Later on I’d work 6:00 AM to 2:00 on Saturdays open / breakfast/ lunch rush during school so I could keep the car on the road (‘73 Corolla 4 door with a 2TC and a 2 speed auto! Lol).  The most fun was working the register.  Good gravy, let me go back behind the grill again.   

To say I was wicked grateful to work for the plant engineer at Zildjian ( thanks Mom!) the summer between my junior and senior year and actually make some good money would be the understatement of the century.  I got hired by Electric Boat several months before graduation, started there 2 weeks after getting out of school.   Onward and upward from there and thankfully I’ve never been without work in all this time.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nmnf0QAUuW4hKrGhMFnYtPRzKdjf63jyq8F0QmrCeBoc8dZjYviiIhD9clBXXe7s