1 2
logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/25/13 9:02 a.m.

Im young and hip enough I get all the references.

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
8/25/13 9:49 a.m.

I'm 41 and I got all but maybe 2 of them.

I tend to stay up on popular culture--although the recent celebutard culture is something I purposely avoid.

iceracer
iceracer UberDork
8/25/13 10:21 a.m.

Eh, what is all of the stuff of which you speak ?

Anti-stance
Anti-stance UltraDork
8/25/13 10:31 a.m.
gamby wrote: I tend to stay up on popular culture--although the recent celebutard culture is something I purposely avoid.

This.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UltraDork
8/25/13 1:03 p.m.

The easiest way to feel old is that people starting their first year of college/university were born in 1995. Makes it odd to be around campus sometimes!

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/25/13 1:16 p.m.

Woohoo got all the references and wasn't unsettled by the article!

ShadowSix
ShadowSix HalfDork
8/25/13 1:50 p.m.

Is it just me or are millenials prematurely nostalgic? Do you really feel old because you remember things a 14-year-old does not?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
8/25/13 2:03 p.m.

I have a couple things that freak me out about that article...

Fruitopia is gone? Hi-C is gone?

I miss Surge so much.

And a lot of those cereals are still around. French Toast Crunch, Oreo Os,

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/25/13 2:31 p.m.
ShadowSix wrote: Is it just me or are millenials prematurely nostalgic? Do you really feel old because you remember things a 14-year-old does not?

I remember reading something about this recently. Basically, with the increased speed of technology adoption and rapid change over in pop culture, stuff that was cutting edge 6-12 months ago is old. After 3-5 years its ancient.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 Dork
8/25/13 3:40 p.m.

In reply to ShadowSix:

The problem is "millennial" covers from 1982-2000 thats folks from my age (31) up to 13 year old kids. I remember thinking 30 was old when I was 13. That and I don't remember pop culture from before the late 80s anyway. I think its just being hit with the fact that we're now the old guy from the movies we watched as kids. There's plenty of things a 45-50 year old could talk about that I wouldn't get.

In reply to Swank Force One:

I think they are talking about the flavors of Hi-C the Ecto Cooler flavor not Hi-C in general.

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
8/25/13 6:21 p.m.
SVreX wrote: I'm too old to understand most of those references.

this .... I'm 50 yrs older than they are .... most of those have no meaning to me

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
8/25/13 10:04 p.m.

Berk the class of 2017. There I said it.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/25/13 10:10 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: Berk the class of 2017. There I said it.

*check local restrictions, offer not valid in all states. Void where prohibited.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UltraDork
8/25/13 10:51 p.m.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
8/26/13 6:31 a.m.

I didn't give a rats ass about most of the stuff on this list even when it was new.

BTW, You can still get trip tiks from AAA online and print them yourself or go in and order them. Before our last big trip we wnet and bought a more up to date road atlas. What a smart phone, GPS can never do it give you that exanded look at what's coming up ahead or off to the side. When you've been driving 8-12 hours and are considering a place to look for a hotel a paper map is still ideal for scoping out the road ahead.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
8/26/13 8:01 a.m.
They probably have no idea what’s going on in this picture:

troof

...and my daily still has a cassette player in the dash. I listen to Beastie Boys tapes in it. Dolby Noise Reduction FTMFW!!! Now, get off my lawn.

scardeal
scardeal Dork
8/26/13 8:14 a.m.
moparman76_69 wrote: The problem is "millennial" covers from 1982-2000 thats folks from my age (31) up to 13 year old kids.

That makes me... the last of the Gen X'ers!

Actually, that makes lots of sense, because a few of my friends who are only 2-3 years younger than me have way different cultural memories.

beans
beans HalfDork
8/26/13 8:17 a.m.

That only made me want Ectocooler Hi-C.

Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/26/13 9:11 a.m.

'Extremely Upsetting'? Seems unlikely- let's see...

Nope. Some are amusing (Yes, I DO have MP3s older than some of them....), some I'm still WTFing at (What the berk is the 'Thong Song'?), some I snickered at (the Blue's Clues one- ex-wife was a big fan of the show...).

Final one does make me sad though... I still remember when gas broke $1/gallon. Several stations near me held out at $0.999 for a long time because it was more expensive to get a new sign than charge more for gas...

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
8/26/13 9:53 a.m.

The only upsetting thing is the obsession with pop culture.

this list just follows the trend of any Top X list that focuses on the recent past as opposed to the whole thing in context, whatever you are looking at.

I would put Mozart over all of the Boy Bands, in terms of young talent.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nMYWbKiJY56cYNU5Bwoypld5DTJCxsAAxAcaRzU1WHCdxbMzTMaTRsSVvaepEeHl