Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/15/24 7:40 p.m.

We're going to be changing to electric from gas, and we like to research our appliances carefully. We've been looking at Consumer Reports, but the GRM hive is a great source of well informed advice on so many topics.

Anyone care to comment?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/15/24 7:50 p.m.

I grew up  on Gas and hate coil electric.  13 years ago I bought a house with a smooth surface, built in, Induction 4 burner unit and completely fell in love with it.  

This year I bought a house with a nice gas stove.  I miss my induction so much that still most of my cooking is still done on a plug-in, portable induction single burner cooktop.   One like this but I got mine at Aldi a long time ago.

The GE Profile unit that came with the house (and was already old, circa 1995) eventually failed 2 burners out of 4 and I replaced it with a 30" Frigidaire unit that I bought from AJ Madison.  I just went there looking for the model but it seems to be gone.  It was also ultra cheap (likely discontinued) when I bought it for under $600.  I see that AJM has a Fridgidaire with REAL KNOBS.  That's the one thing I did not like on mine, the touch sensitive controls that were easy to "bump" in error.  $1,150

eedavis
eedavis GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/15/24 8:06 p.m.

We switched from electric/resistive to induction a couple of years ago (GE cooktop). Wish we'd done it years before. The best part is how quickly the rate of cooking slows down when we reduce the heat setting. You can really dial in the cooking/boiling rate and you don't jump the fence nearly as often. It also heats up faster than our old cooktop and is capable of higher temps by casual observation. It's easier to sear & brown things.

We did have to buy some pots & pans for inductive compatibility but we had a couple of good cast iron frying pans already so it wasn't a big deal. Finally moved on from the mismatched/missing lid college-kid handmedown collection to some nicer stuff. Not that there's anything wrong with quality pre-owned, but ours was worn out and the new stuff cooks better and is easier to clean.

I've never cooked with gas other than the outdoor grill/bbq, so can't compare to a gas range.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/15/24 8:11 p.m.

My Daily Drivers are 12" and 8" Lodge Cast iron of more than 20 years old.  Emeral Branded 5 Qt (spaghetti boil pot) and 3qt, 2qt, and 1.5qt pots all with glass lids.  

brandonsmash
brandonsmash GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/15/24 9:56 p.m.

Wife and I switched to induction when we remodeled the kitchen about 4 years ago. I wouldn't consider going back.

It's quiet, doesn't keep much residual heat on the cooktop, boils water like a mofo, and is very fine-tunable. We bought the 36" cooktop from Ikea, which is just a rebranded Frigidaire (I believe it's a Frigidaire, but it's the exact same model as one branded from a major manufacturer but at about 50% of the price) and it has been well worth it.

There are only a couple downsides, but they're minor. One, you can't just use any old cookware: You need to use cookware that will attract a magnet (y'know, it being induction and all). Two, our particular model does not like water spills on the control area: It gets mad at you until you wipe it dry. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/15/24 11:07 p.m.

Great answers, very reassuring that we're going to like it. It's going to cost a lot to cap the gas line and drop the power line for the new one. 

Any brand or models to either look at or avoid?

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/15/24 11:17 p.m.

Got a Samsung slide-in range with induction top (and convection and air fryer inside) about eight months ago. Love it.. except the "big" burner is in the front and thus positioned in front of our over the range microwave/exhaust hood.

Currently shopping for a standalone exhaust hood to take the place of the microwave because all the pan fried stuff is oiling up the front of the cabinets (bypassing the hood fan). 

Also don't love the front edge controls for the burners. If I had a do-over.. I would prefer a traditional range with rear controls to keep them cleaner. 

Lastly - confirm you have adequate power. I added a 50amp circuit. The 6 gage wire was tough to get in a junction box but I got it done in one evening - a new circuit from the basement electrical panel that is located very close below. 

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/15/24 11:24 p.m.

I'm tempted to buy the Frigidaire for my cabin. I rent the place, so having the knobs will likely confuse the least number of people. I do kinda wish that the knobs were on the side, however. Does anyone have that model? And do the knobs get in the way much?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/16/24 10:46 p.m.

More on this topic.... 

So, I had a 30" 1995 GE Profile (super high end unit for 1995.)  That eventually had only the two smallest burners working in about 2013.  I replaced it with a low end Fridgedaire 30" that I paid around $500 for and is now $740.  https://www.amazon.com/Frigidaire-Electric-Induction-Trim-Heats-FGIC3066TB/dp/B07CMCVKPD/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1V4OD6L57FKGU&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.pUjMp8jv2SToEbNoHdQ2clwTI5_j8add10FSx63To1hA8StYBVJDchqLchhmuc-aYzlzrOA0HI77tZcGsjkS84iZiZMECwNgjTP2h28prdMZ-inLuPn1Bx2D50LfZI6KY-LHjbXscjdg1JPqxmwL9GhbpNDYWLFIUN9wTz5eXx4dqTHJs_OZviqRsnP3sNUBPIC28QKYfgYkWDWj25s0uw6MDBwf3MsYsQtQYmAdUJdeE7bEi96SQpnt5tRqOyaOn8z1wZ5oR_onD0993J96vVdBeB5wr7cldh3bpINcgmQ.3-iC5S-eEfQp9hiOrs9p9mgp36yFG6m6B_R3jiGahBU&dib_tag=se&keywords=induction%2Bcooktop&qid=1718590391&rnid=2941120011&s=appliances&sprefix=induction%2Bcooktop%2Caps%2C268&sr=1-3&th=1

It worked great for many years.  I then remember that about 5 years later, I had a freak accident.  I dropped and soup can on the glass surface.  I'd had similar accidents before with no issue but that time I managed to just catch the edge of the glass.  Like half the can hit the glass and half hit the counter...cracked the glass good.  Not shatter, just a line crack like a windshield.  This also happened to be around the time we were putting the house up for sale.  Some internet shopping and I found this 30"er from a company I'd never heard of Wecehla, for under $300.  A little less powerful in the biggest burners but still adequate.  I liked its super simple controls (though not knobs and easy to bump but not as error sensitive as the Fridgedaire.)  It worked great.  Seemed to be a UK company as the instructions were written in British English (like referring to the unit as a Hob.)  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08SQBHRST/ref=ewc_pr_img_2?smid=A24UUGHCLMNX7M&th=1

Amazon has many inexpensive units from companies you've never heard of.  Replacement is super easy.  A couple of under counter phillips screws to undo the attachment points.  Kill the breaker and twist and re-twist some wire nuts (using fresh nuts, not reusing wire nuts.)  With replacement being easy, I was okay if the 33% cost model only lasted a 3rd of the time.  It was working fine when we sold the house!  

For the cottage...  Here is a name I'm not familiar with and a 30" cooktop WITH SIDE KNOBS for only $269.  The power output is low at 2000w and 1200w max.  Bigger units run 3600w and 2600w.  Might be adequate for cottage duty.  

$269

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
r8zPRZT6moobZ0z9EFVXo7RrGWaCp9YiANKCa8jWuKxXzVijANvDrajq5mB0eGow