1 ... 3 4 5
Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
7/22/17 11:09 a.m.
The wrote: Well, my bank charged me 12 bucks for depositing a bad check, that will teach me.

I would raise an epic E36 M3storm about that $12 and at the very least have the manager who told you it was as good as gold take that E36 M3 from his own pocket.

Then I'd move all my money to a credit union like everyone should have already and tell the bank to go berkeley themselves. Not because of the check... they couldn't do anything about it - but because they wouldn't look into it, they were too stupid to know it wasn't any good and they are a for profit company making money with your money. berkeley that E36 M3.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
7/22/17 11:24 a.m.

Call and ask to speak with the Compliance Dept of your bank. You want to expose that you reported the suspicion of fraud and no one acted upon that potential of fraud.

You will get blocked in every possible way to actually speak to anyone in Compliance but you will find the employees will do anything (like reverse your check fee) if that's what it takes to keep you from reporting to Compliance. No bank employee wants their name associated with anything to do with Compliance.

Definition of Compliance Dept

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
7/22/17 11:50 a.m.

Here is my specific experience with Compliance Dept.

On my first house I also had a Home Equity Line of Credit through a local bank. Years later after having sold that house I was living in house #2 which had a new single mortgage with another bank.
I'll bet this had been more than 5 years after I sold house #1 (and paid off both mortgages is the process). I was reviewing my credit rating and saw that the bank which held the Home Equity loan had put some negative marks on my account. These negative marks were in the years well after I had sold my house #1.
Seems that they were hitting me for an annual "inactivity fee" on this line of credit.

Details to me are a little sketchy since many years have past but my ex girlfriend's mother used to be a Compliance Officer at this bank in question. She no longer worked there but she saw right through the problem. The core problem was that the line of credit had been paid off but the bank had never closed the account. The major no-no here was that the bank then had been for years (though I did not notice it) been offering me $50k in a line of credit leveraged against an asset (the house #1) that I no longer owned.

When I spoke with branch personnel, I was getting nowhere. I was getting statements like, "sir, you have an inactive account that charges an annual fee, you'll have to pay the fee."

After having spoke with the ex-girlfriends mom and getting fully informed I followed here lead which was...Call and ask to speak with The Compliance Dept about your account and report the extending of a secured loan after the selling of the asset. I was given every roadblock you can imagine on why I could not speak to that Dept.
I specifically asked the question, "don't those Compliance Officers have phones on their desks?" "Don't those phones actually ring if you forward my call to them?"

I never did actually speak to The Compliance Dept but it was like the magic words just asking. I had people jumping through hoops and actually calling me back to get the issue addressed. I got charges reversed as well as copies of letters sent to all the credit score agencies clearing my name.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
7/22/17 3:55 p.m.

In reply to 4cylndrfury:

A crub, three fents and two burshes

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
7/22/17 5:05 p.m.
John Welsh wrote: Call and ask to speak with the Compliance Dept of your bank. You want to expose that you reported the suspicion of fraud and no one acted upon that potential of fraud. You will get blocked in every possible way to actually speak to anyone in Compliance but you will find the employees will do anything (like reverse your check fee) if that's what it takes to keep you from reporting to Compliance. No bank employee wants their name associated with anything to do with Compliance. Definition of Compliance Dept

I think the first person to bring this up to would be the "President of the bank" himself, that gave you the all-clear (multiple times) without firther investigation, despite your reporting the suspicion of fraud to him directly.

It's too bad you didn't ask him to put in writing that if the funds were not legitimate, that he would reimburse you 100% for the full value of the deposit out of his own pocket...Since he obviously doesn't know the first thing about the risks the business he is running faces, and the damage his ignorance can cause to his customers. At the minimum, they owe you your $12 dollars back, and a massive formal (written) apology from him personally for putting you through this.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/22/17 6:15 p.m.

Just end this. Move on with life. The pain and agervation to get the $12 to me is not worth it. If it makes you feel better write a letter to the banks president and copy it to the compliance division and maybe your states banking regulatory agency. I would probibly change banks first. Or do nothing have a beer and move on with things

The
The Dork
7/22/17 9:45 p.m.
Dr. said: Did the scammer ever press you for the money/truck? Like send you "bank details" or something? Seems like they would press that well before the check bounced.

Yes, he was texting and emailing me 6 or 7 hours before the check bounced. I did not answer but he tried tempting me by saying the person I would be meeting with was a female. I am going to stop by the bank, I think the 12 dollar charge was a automated response to the check bouncing.

The
The Dork
7/24/17 7:50 p.m.

I walked in the bank and my dude said I already reversed the 12 bucks. Now a Mr. Gomez Wilsonn also from Texas has shown a interest in the truck LOL.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
7/24/17 9:56 p.m.

In reply to The:

You should see how many checks you can collect.

egnorant
egnorant SuperDork
7/25/17 10:02 a.m.
SVreX wrote: Ok, NOW he's introducing a bit of urgency. Now it makes more sense. He knows that sooner or later the check will bounce and he'll be busted. In an electronic banking age, why does this take 2 weeks?

Money! The bank could make it almost instantly verified, but then they would be responsible if the scam got into their system. Plus they can charge an easily accessible account (you) for a "fee" and possibly hit your credit score so you gotta give them more money!

Bruce

spin_out
spin_out HalfDork
7/25/17 11:00 a.m.

It would be nice for the magazine to do an article about how to avoid car scams and how they work. This being a nice starting point.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
7/26/17 8:52 a.m.
AngryCorvair wrote:
NEALSMO wrote:
4cylndrfury wrote:
Grtechguy wrote:
mndsm wrote: Post the number to Reddit. I'm sure they'll find something hilarious to do.
crowd-sourced internet revenge. Always a great time.
Does anyone remember a thread that got out of control (on another forum) where a dbag hit a "CRUB" and "POPED" his tires? Some nearly illiterate sidehatted brotato in a riced rattletrap of some form actually took out the corner of someones house. Cops estimated his speed near 3 digits in a residential neighborhood, IIRC, and he tried to tell people it was just a loss of control from curbing his wheel.
I believe he hit two crubs and a fents. Pretty sure it was the infamous VW Vortex brain trust.
I'm pretty sure that was on NASIOC and some of the "reconstruction" efforts were priceless. KRAPZOR!!!! A Hausze!!!

Found it...it was the Vortex:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?1585548-Hit-two-a-crub-and-2-fents-load-cam-knock

Too bad, most of the hilarious memes were digested when Photobucket went full asstard

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/26/17 2:35 p.m.

This saga reminds me of a friend who got a call to come to the bank to sign a document that his partner had missed signing while selling his 30 acre Woodlot.

Problem being he had no partner and the Woodlot was not for sale. A scammer had advertised it, found a buyer, and completed the sale, all without the real owner finding out. But then he thought he was home free and hopped a plane out of the country. So when the bank discovered the missing signature they couldn't get hold of him so they contacted the other person they had on file.....the actual owner...

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/26/17 6:35 p.m.
lrrs wrote: Make him really worried, tell him you wired the money to the shipper as instructed. Make him think some other scammer got to you.

You, I like you.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/26/17 6:39 p.m.
mndsm wrote: In reply to 4cylndrfury: A crub, three fents and two burshes

werd

and then he had a load cam knock

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/27/17 8:20 a.m.

In reply to dean1484:

That's what they're counting on. Apathy.

1 ... 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4yaZzAAi8lW0O9yvl8wux9Bb69vN2H4rJfUhYPVfoKCkuFnj1mpg8cxTqUAxEBvU