1 2
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/9/24 3:01 p.m.

Thinking about my music history while watching this short about Willie Nelson’s guitar last night. 

Here’s that video because time on site is important for the web department:

So, back to music history.

In 1974, four lads from Forest Hills unleashed a raw, simplified sound that stood in stark contrast to the day’s overproduced, overcomplicated prog rock and rock operas. Enter the Ramones and, with them, the punk movement. 

But in 1972, Willie Nelson left the glitz and glamor and overproduced sounds of Nashville, moving to Austin to get back to his roots with simplified, pure country music. 

Willie is punk rock without the distortion, right? 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/9/24 3:12 p.m.

The Ramones, with all due respect, wish they were as punk as Willy. Joey never smoked a joint on the Whitehouse roof. Johnny and Dee Dee never dueted with Snoop or put out a random reggae album and still made money. Tommy never put together multiple supergroups by accident. 

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
1/9/24 3:14 p.m.
David S. Wallens
1/9/24 3:14 p.m.

Also, how is Willie still touring at 90!? Ninety years old!

And, yes, we have tickets to see him next month. 

psteav (Forum Supporter)
psteav (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/9/24 3:24 p.m.

Saw him a couple years ago with George Thorogood and ZZ Top.

Man still put on a hell of a show for being 88 years old.   (Also, if you get the chance to see ZZ Top....go see ZZ Top)

In answer to the original question, Willie is punk as berkeley.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
1/9/24 3:26 p.m.

Willie Nelson is what punk wishes it could be.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/9/24 3:27 p.m.

I can't answer the punk question but can you imagine the value of that guitar? If it ever makes it to auction, it will be the most valuable instrument ever sold. 

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
1/9/24 3:33 p.m.

Outlaw country was pretty damn punk. Or more punk than punk. The crap those guys used to do and get away with was amazing. 

David S. Wallens
1/9/24 4:08 p.m.
Toyman! said:

I can't answer the punk question but can you imagine the value of that guitar? If it ever makes it to auction, it will be the most valuable instrument ever sold. 

Trigger will be like the Tree That Owns Itself

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/9/24 5:32 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

I could see that happening. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
1/9/24 5:50 p.m.

I'm not sure you could squeeze Willie Nelson into a punk-shaped box.  He's an American original.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/9/24 5:57 p.m.

Some thoughts:

I don't think Willie was D.I.Y, which is a huge aspect of punk. So is being angry, but Willie sang love songs and has serious hippy vibes

Cowpunk spun out of punk and outlaw country, but that doesn't cover it, either, though it might come close. 

Willie is a complete badass. As others have said, his exploits are notorious. Willie defies neat categorization. In fact, he's a very good example at why trying to pigeon hole complex things and people in general should fail.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
1/9/24 6:21 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) :

There is definite anger in some of his early albums. Phases and Stages and Red Headed Stranger come to mind. But they're a subdued and reflective anger.

Willie is one of the better jazz guitarists around. And he's whatever he wants to be. 

Tommy Ramone crashed a party at my Father in law's college apartment. My FIL - a 6'3" offensive lineman - ended up tossing him out, literally, after the dude felt up one too many coeds that didn't want to be felt up. 

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
1/9/24 6:46 p.m.

My dad and father in law were both high with Willie at one time possibly together.  I think that's the only thing they have in common.  

slantvaliant (Forum Supporter)
slantvaliant (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
1/9/24 6:56 p.m.

There is a story that Willie decked Jerry Jeff Walker over that guitar.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones UltraDork
1/9/24 8:00 p.m.

He dropped an album on his 89th birthday, with some mellow songs. One of my favorite cigar and bourbon by a fire songs is on it. 

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/9/24 8:03 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

You and I need to chat some day. 
Born in 1970, been wearing Vans out since then, bmx?, punk, early hip hop and punk dichotomy?, sports cars, Porsches...you could be my brother...

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/9/24 8:06 p.m.
Toyman! said:

Watching Trigger get serviced is fascitnating.

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD Reader
1/9/24 10:01 p.m.

That whole outlaw country Era in the 70's was punk as berkeley.  Basically,  do drugs, drink, chick's are hot, and berkeley the police but worded just a lil different.   If you are also looking for something that's punk without sounding it check this out (if you haven't heard it before.

https://youtu.be/anpX29aJnho?si=Dm-OZBgnRq9eQTFM

golfduke
golfduke Dork
1/10/24 8:30 a.m.

Happy to see all of the 'Outlaw Country is punk' comments.  Willie is a freaking icon though, I think he transcends labels.  Like Snoop said in the Rolling Stone Interview-  Willie aint country, Willie aint folk.  Willie is berkeleying Willie, man.  Legendary.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
1/10/24 9:53 a.m.
mtn said:

There is definite anger in some of his early albums. Phases and Stages and Red Headed Stranger come to mind. But they're a subdued and reflective anger.

It's like Willie has achieved punk nirvana. Willie has broken free of The System. Other punks don't recognize that as long as they remain angry at the system and rage against the machine, it continues to control them, just in a different way.

1/10/24 9:58 a.m.

By the way if you haven't listened to the last two Johnny Cash albums you are missing out.  Hearing his versions / interpretations of other's songs is a real musical treat.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/10/24 10:06 a.m.
Beer Baron said:
mtn said:

It's like Willie has achieved punk nirvana. Willie has broken free of The System. Other punks don't recognize that as long as they remain angry at the system and rage against the machine, it continues to control them, just in a different way.

Hahaha haha hahaha sorry, but I'm glad you used the wording you did. No other fall from grace sums up the punk outlook changes quite like Rage against the machine. From "berkeley you I won't do what you tell me" to "berkeley you if you won't do what they tell you".

Meanwhile, Willie sits back, lights another, and tells the IRS to berkeley off again.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
1/10/24 11:23 a.m.

In reply to RevRico :

How much did you pay for the chunk of his guitar / the one he ruthlessly smashed at the end of the show? / And how much will he pay for a brand new guitar? / One which he'll ruthlessly smash at the end of another show? / And how long will the workers keep building him new ones? / As long as their soda cans are red, white, and blue ones.

Excess ain't rebellion
You're drinking what they're selling
Your self destruction doesn't hurt them
Your chaos won't convert them
They're so happy to rebuild it
You'll never really kill it
Excess ain't rebellion.
You're drinking what they're selling...

1/10/24 11:27 a.m.
RevRico said:
From "berkeley you I won't do what you tell me" to "berkeley you if you won't do what they tell you".

Sadly that describes about 90% of the people on the planet.  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LHNLd8PdhasmjtcM0YMIyEbGxYvARwHBlMNRxAidP38ijZG42Rgkj0FHtdR9eZWL