1 2 3 ... 5
914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
11/29/09 10:57 a.m.

Now that the trailer is finished, I'm not sure about its looks. It works fine.

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Reader
11/29/09 11:03 a.m.

It doesn't look gay until you throw a Miata on it. Just keep them off an you will be fine.

porksboy
porksboy Dork
11/29/09 11:31 a.m.

What do you figure is your max weight for that trailer?

carzan
carzan Reader
11/29/09 11:37 a.m.

I think fenders would help.

DrBoost
DrBoost HalfDork
11/29/09 11:50 a.m.

Yeah, fenders would help. I'm thinking one reason why you think it looks strange (ok, me too) is that the deck sits high in relation to the tires. Kinda like doing a spring-over lift on a Jeep. But, me likes. That means when you get a car on there you'll actually be able to open the doors without hitting the fenders (which it needs).

cwh
cwh SuperDork
11/29/09 11:55 a.m.

Bolt a beer cooler on the tongue, that'll man it up.

suprf1y
suprf1y Reader
11/29/09 12:13 p.m.
you'll actually be able to open the doors without hitting the fenders

Good call. My trailer looks so not gay, but I had to crawl out the window of a car last week, and that's not as much fun as it used to be.

The trailer looks fine.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
11/29/09 3:58 p.m.

The Northern Tools torsion spring gave me the option of 30 or 10 degrees angle. 30 makesw the bed high but I can open the door. 10 degrees makes it lower but there's door bang.

Fenders. I'm looking at a plastic 50 gal. drum; cut the bottom off, cut that in hale, Viola! Two 180' circles of plastic. No rust & flexes when you boop the garage door.

Dan

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
11/29/09 3:58 p.m.

Oops.

Dan

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard GRM+ Memberand SonDork
11/29/09 4:27 p.m.

What are those taillights from?

mel_horn
mel_horn Dork
11/29/09 5:32 p.m.
porksboy wrote: What do you figure is your max weight for that trailer?

Or what are you hauling? Looks like an awfully high center of gravity to me...

jamscal
jamscal HalfDork
11/29/09 5:37 p.m.
Tommy Suddard wrote: What are those taillights from?

I guess Vega

Appleseed
Appleseed Dork
11/29/09 5:52 p.m.

Look good to me. You should see some of the bodged up stuff I've seen here in Montana. Yikes.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/29/09 6:45 p.m.

tails are early vega.

trailer needs some of your sheetmetal magic, mini '57 bel air quarters for fenders.

could also man it up a bit with a winch.

4eyes
4eyes Reader
11/29/09 9:39 p.m.

Something needs to be added to the front of the bed. A rail, tire rack, something to keep the car from rolling foreward when you stop hard, after the tie-downs magicaly remove themselves

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/29/09 10:45 p.m.

There are ways to make a trailer even more gay

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/29/09 10:48 p.m.

If you think that's gay you should have seen the float behind it.

Lesley
Lesley SuperDork
11/29/09 10:49 p.m.

That is truly disturbing but holy hell does he/she/it have great legs...

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
11/30/09 5:51 a.m.
Lesley wrote: That is truly disturbing but holy hell does he/she/it have great legs...

And it looks like there's four of them.

Yes, Vega taillights.

alfadriver
alfadriver Dork
11/30/09 7:10 a.m.

with all due repsect, I really wish you all would lay off the gay jokes.

Some of my best friends are gay, and these kinds of slams implies that they are not worthy of being friends.

please, think about it next time you think "this is 'gay'" and replace that with "this is so old gearhead". We are all people in this great journey of life.

Other than that, I see nothing wrong with the trailer. Well, except the back up lights seem out of place.

Eric

minimac
minimac Dork
11/30/09 7:13 a.m.

Bolt on one of those pick-up truck behind the cab tool boxes to the front. The polished diamond plate one would add to the gayness. I used a plastic/fiberglass one to carry stuff like a come-a -long, binders, a jack, etc., so it didn't add any tongue weight. The only trouble with the plastic barrel fenders is you can't change the color. I know, I tried.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Reader
11/30/09 7:29 a.m.
914Driver wrote: The Northern Tools torsion spring gave me the option of 30 or 10 degrees angle. 30 makesw the bed high but I can open the door. 10 degrees makes it lower but there's door bang. Fenders. I'm looking at a plastic 50 gal. drum; cut the bottom off, cut that in hale, Viola! Two 180' circles of plastic. No rust & flexes when you boop the garage door. Dan

The 10 degrees angle will allow you to use ramps shorter then the trailer. ;)

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
11/30/09 8:05 a.m.
alfadriver wrote: with all due repsect, I really wish you all would lay off the gay jokes. Some of my best friends are gay, and these kinds of slams implies that they are not worthy of being friends. please, think about it next time you think "this is 'gay'" and replace that with "this is so old gearhead". We are all people in this great journey of life. Other than that, I see nothing wrong with the trailer. Well, except the back up lights seem out of place. Eric

With all due respect, what's up with PIITB? That shows up too often for a family safe board.

I have gay friends also, no disrespect was intended.

Dan

alfadriver
alfadriver Dork
11/30/09 8:31 a.m.
914Driver wrote: I have gay friends also, no disrespect was intended. Dan

Then why use it? Seems like a rather lame excuse for labeling something odd or bad as gay if you ask me. The intention of the usage is bad. So if no disrespect is intended, find better or more creative words.

Using "gay" as an insult, and then claiming no disrepsect is not correct. The intended use IS to show disrespect for whatever you are posting- like this trailer for instance. So then the word "gay" is intended as an insult. If you do not want it to be thought of as an insult, use a different word- there are millions available....

If you intend "flamboyant"- what's wrong with that word? Flashy is good, too. There are a lot of better words to use.

Eric

(no idea what PIITB is)

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/30/09 8:42 a.m.

Gay simply means happy. Those are some happy people. If he had referred to the trailer as a raging homosexual, perhaps there would be an issue.

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6r0eQKwEK2xNJqeWCWUFS7VOc0WPlsK3Gyi0O0GBjuVp3Z9Zst755sIrMtYk3Z6v