Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/13/21 8:05 a.m.

While I was at work one day, my wife and daughter found a statement that a cat would sit in a square of tape on the floor. 

I missed the experiment, but just received the pictures of Sweetie Slasher doing a cat thing. 

When I was taking neurology classes in vet school, the neuro professor said that if you draw a straight line on the ground, set down a chicken with its legs straddling the line, turn it's head downward so that it is looking at the line, it will hypnotize it. It will stay there until you pick it up or move it.

I've never tried it. Someone try it and report back?

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/13/21 8:13 a.m.

I have seen the chicken thing done. It is real. Probably a bunch of videos out there on youtube. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/13/21 8:24 a.m.

A cat will sit on a sheet of copier paper put down on a 50'x50' white floor.

9/13/21 8:32 a.m.
Duke said:

A cat will sit on a sheet of copier paper put down on a 50'x50' white floor.

Somehow, that's not surprising now that I've seen this.

9/13/21 8:33 a.m.
mtn said:

I have seen the chicken thing done. It is real. Probably a bunch of videos out there on youtube. 

Cool. I'll have to take a look.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/13/21 8:39 a.m.

Why will a cat barf on the floor even after you put a towel or something in front of it when it starts horking?

Like, cat is in distress, starts making I'ma-puke noises.  Run and grab a towel, set in front of cat.  Cat sidesteps just in time to barf on the floor next to the towel.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/13/21 8:42 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Because cat.

slantvaliant (Forum Supporter)
slantvaliant (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
9/13/21 8:52 a.m.

I've done the chicken hypnosis bit as part of a survival class.  It worked, but did not end well for the bird.  

triumph7
triumph7 HalfDork
9/13/21 9:24 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Why will a cat barf on the floor even after you put a towel or something in front of it when it starts horking?

Like, cat is in distress, starts making I'ma-puke noises.  Run and grab a towel, set in front of cat.  Cat sidesteps just in time to barf on the floor next to the towel.

Oh no, the cat (or dog) will look for the carpeted area of the house instead of hardwood or vinyl... you know, an area that's easy to clean.

Chesterfield
Chesterfield Reader
9/13/21 9:55 p.m.

My stray/ foster fail cat must be defective, she shows no interest in boxes. I have left boxes and box lids out, and all she does is sniff them then walk away. I may have to try the tape, and see if I get a different response.

jgrewe
jgrewe HalfDork
9/13/21 10:40 p.m.

We did the tape box experiment. The first cat sat in the tape trap, the second cat came up and thumped her so he could sit in the square.

Wicked93gs
Wicked93gs Reader
9/13/21 11:47 p.m.

We tried the tape experiment. The cat just looked at us like we were stupid.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/14/21 12:48 a.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Because shiny happy person.

Fixed

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
9/14/21 6:03 a.m.

Tape box works for my cats, can confirm line on the ground for chickens. Did it this morning. 

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/14/21 5:35 p.m.
*SNIP*

When I was taking neurology classes in vet school, the neuro professor said that if you draw a straight line on the ground, set down a chicken with its legs straddling the line, turn it's head downward so that it is looking at the line, it will hypnotize it. It will stay there until you pick it up or move it.

Interesting.  No chickens here, but I do have Cockatoos and an African Grey.

Hmmm.  I will let you know.

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/14/21 6:07 p.m.
noddaz said:
*SNIP*

Interesting.  No chickens here, but I do have Cockatoos and an African Grey.

Hmmm.  I will let you know.

African Greys are like winged Border Collies. But the Cockatoos I know are too crazy to know what a straight line is. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/14/21 6:23 p.m.
Wicked93gs said:

We tried the tape experiment. The cat just looked at us like we were stupid.

You have an impostor.

All real cats have what I think of as the Les Nessman gene.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
9/14/21 6:25 p.m.

Like a charm

jgrewe
jgrewe HalfDork
9/14/21 6:49 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Super Chonk sized kitty you got there!

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/14/21 8:45 p.m.

In reply to noddaz :

I suspect that the African Grey will inform you that they're not a chicken if you attempt this with them. 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
9/14/21 9:20 p.m.

Mine walked over, pulled up a corner of the tape, and started eating it, and in hindsight, of course he did. 

noddaz
9/15/21 11:21 a.m.

I put a line of blue painters tape on the floor for the experiment.   I gathered up Gizmo who is a Goffins Cockatoo and placed him on the floor with legs straddling the tape and I made sure he saw the tape.  I let go and he walked away.

I repeated the experiment, same result.   Definitive proof that a Cockatoo is not a chicken.

noddaz
9/15/21 4:54 p.m.
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to noddaz :

I suspect that the African Grey will inform you that they're not a chicken if you attempt this with them. 

Unfortunately, the African Gray will remove a chunk from my finger if I try this.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iUavYEIQGJ8RV0jL5QX10QUhN3kR5hGGT1kY3LV4H0nqVXy1Y9O7FyS3PARxPC0d