1 2 3
ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter HalfDork
9/1/09 11:55 p.m.

Sorry, this is becoming a pet peeve of mine.

It's a MANUAL transmission, or if you're not being so technical, a "stickshift".

It's not a freakin' STANDARD transmission! Manuals haven't been standard equipment for years now, or even an option on many/most models.

Okay, rant over...

confuZion3
confuZion3 SuperDork
9/2/09 12:02 a.m.

I always call it a "proper" transmission.

And when someone tells me they can drive a stick, I always look at them in amazement and ask them if they can teach me to drive around those small pieces of wood that fall off of my trees.

suprf1y
suprf1y Reader
9/2/09 12:05 a.m.

A manual transmission is still standard on many cars, and trucks.

Luke
Luke Dork
9/2/09 12:10 a.m.

The problem with using the word 'manual', is that nowadays it gets confused with all sorts of manual variations, which are really just automatics in disguise. If you can't heel-toe/double-de-clutch it by yourself, then it's not a proper manual. So I like saying 'stickshift', instead. 'Proper', works too.

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
9/2/09 1:15 a.m.

my current car and my previous one as well were only available with a manual in the model that i had/have

mtn
mtn SuperDork
9/2/09 1:48 a.m.
confuZion3 wrote: I always call it a "proper" transmission. And when someone tells me they can drive a stick, I always look at them in amazement and ask them if they can teach me to drive around those small pieces of wood that fall off of my trees.

I have no problem with stickshift. Its a metal stick that shifts. stick shift.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
9/2/09 5:50 a.m.

My son has a GTi with paddle shifters, is that a semi-standard? Semi-Manual?

Ahhhh it's a Semi-Automatic!

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury Dork
9/2/09 6:55 a.m.

technically, only RWD vehicles have a transmission. On FWD/AWD vehicles, its a transaxle...

We now return you to your unregularly scheduled rant

RossD
RossD HalfDork
9/2/09 7:20 a.m.

C6 Corvette, Alfa GTV6, '61 Tempest, MR2, Elise (all rwd cars with transaxles; just sayin' )

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
9/2/09 7:24 a.m.

It's called a misnomer, I think. Kinda like when people say they are gonna "dial" someone's phone number.

When was the last time you saw a dial on a phone?

pete240z
pete240z Dork
9/2/09 7:28 a.m.
NYG95GA wrote: When was the last time you saw a dial on a phone?

my dad still has the dial service in his house, but he uses more modern phones for daily use, however his basement still has a dial phone that works and his bedroom still has a pink princess desk phone next to my ma's bed.

I showed my 6-year old once how "fast" I could dial the rotary phone. She was impressed.

confuZion3
confuZion3 SuperDork
9/2/09 8:14 a.m.
mtn wrote:
confuZion3 wrote: I always call it a "proper" transmission. And when someone tells me they can drive a stick, I always look at them in amazement and ask them if they can teach me to drive around those small pieces of wood that fall off of my trees.
I have no problem with stickshift. Its a metal stick that shifts. stick shift.

Stickshift is OK. "I can drive a stick" is not.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
9/2/09 8:17 a.m.
pete240z wrote:
NYG95GA wrote: When was the last time you saw a dial on a phone?
my dad still has the dial service in his house, but he uses more modern phones for daily use, however his basement still has a dial phone that works and his bedroom still has a pink princess desk phone next to my ma's bed. I showed my 6-year old once how "fast" I could dial the rotary phone. She was impressed.

That's cool. My parents still have two of them. Relics, for sure, but built like tanks. They found an interesting feature about the old ones; When going through those automated menus, you just dial 0, and the operater comes on right away. I have no idea why, but it seems to work.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/2/09 8:20 a.m.
914Driver wrote: My son has a GTi with paddle shifters, is that a semi-standard? Semi-Manual? Ahhhh it's a Semi-Automatic!

When we enter the vehicle information into the ADP computer it doesn't recognize Direct Shift Gearbox, it has manual, automatic and semiautomatic...

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
9/2/09 8:29 a.m.

How many of you have never used a "Three on the tree"

There's a lot of older folks on here that probably learned how to drive with this shifter, but I'm betting some of the younger folks won't have a clue as to what it is

Hope I'm wrong.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/2/09 8:34 a.m.

I have driven a "three on the tree" once... nothing I would care to do again.

EricM
EricM HalfDork
9/2/09 8:39 a.m.

They say standard so they can charge more for the Automatic. I mean, that's OK with me, cuz I don't want an automatic (Minivan exempt form statment)

EricM
EricM HalfDork
9/2/09 8:40 a.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: technically, only RWD vehicles have a transmission. On FWD/AWD vehicles, its a transaxle... We now return you to your unregularly scheduled rant

Rear Engine RWD Porsches? I wold say they have a transaxle. Just sayin'

walterj
walterj Dork
9/2/09 8:40 a.m.
NYG95GA wrote: How many of you have never used a "Three on the tree" There's a lot of older folks on here that probably learned how to drive with this shifter, but I'm betting some of the younger folks won't have a clue as to what it is Hope I'm wrong.

Had a '62 Chevy 289 w/ 3 on the tree. It had a throw of about 2'.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/2/09 8:45 a.m.

3-on-the-tree's are fun but challenging, especially if the linkage or clutch is worn. It's impossible to power shift.

Push-button automatics are the coolest.

Ian F
Ian F HalfDork
9/2/09 8:54 a.m.
NYG95GA wrote: How many of you have never used a "Three on the tree"

Never driven a "three on the tree" but I have driven a "four on the tree". Saab 95. Cool car.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury Dork
9/2/09 9:04 a.m.
RossD wrote: C6 Corvette, Alfa GTV6, '61 Tempest, MR2, Elise (all rwd cars with transaxles; just sayin' )

[ ZOMG ] FINE only front-engined rear-wheel driven cars utilizing a gearbox mated to the engine and connected to the drive wheels via a driveshaft providing torque through a differential have a Transmission [ /ZOMG ]

Carson
Carson Dork
9/2/09 9:10 a.m.
P71 wrote: 3-on-the-tree's are fun but challenging, especially if the linkage or clutch is worn. It's impossible to power shift. Push-button automatics are the coolest.

My Chrysler has a push-button auto. It's rad for a cruiser.

Carson
Carson Dork
9/2/09 9:16 a.m.

A few years ago my dad was in the market for a new car, we stopped at the Chevrolet dealership and the salesman said the only cars he could get with a manual were the 'C' cars, Corvette, Camaro, Cavalier.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro HalfDork
9/2/09 9:20 a.m.

Every car I have has a "standard" transmission and they're all manuals.

My '58 has three on the tree. I've never found it to be any trouble. Maybe the one you drove was out of whack, they do need adjustment occasionally.

Shawn

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NQ75YbDJOAJkCr8A7z5FH4zF8HlIVnbpKRgtTS7YNpQnu697obV7ov8m1ry85zDB