usa4cheer
usa4cheer New Reader
3/26/13 2:33 p.m.

Serious bets on the line. Is there anyway to figure the Daytona lap time for a bone stock Bugatti Veryon on stock tires versus a NASCAR sprint car on the NASCAR Daytona track. I know it's a little unusual but ... That's what a few cold ones and a bunch of car guys come up with to debate.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UberDork
3/26/13 2:35 p.m.

Guess you could try running both in Gran Toursimo 5 to get an idea...

My guess is that the Veryon isn't gonna win.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/26/13 2:50 p.m.

Yeah a sim is your best bet but I wonder what sim would have both? Maybe find addons for rfactor?

I think the Veyron would win but not by a whole lot.

aircooled
aircooled PowerDork
3/26/13 2:54 p.m.

Both are in GT5. I am pretty sure the Veyron (with no where near the downforce of the NASCAR car) will have to slow for the corners which will kill its lap times.

I am sure one of the GT5 people here would be glad to test it (make sure to use stock SH tires). F40 seems to be looking for things to do. I would do it, but I am sure someone can get to it before I can.

If no one responds by tonight, I can give it a quick shot and give you an idea of the results.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Reader
3/26/13 3:29 p.m.

Ooh ill try it tonight if no ones posted it.

usa4cheer
usa4cheer New Reader
3/26/13 4:25 p.m.

I'm a Forza guy so I can't do it but I cant wait to see how this pans out with GT5 . I'm with the side that Bugatti can't make the the corners fast enough. I think NASCAR real times are mid 40's???

Anti-stance
Anti-stance UltraDork
3/26/13 4:32 p.m.

That is a little more tough than I was thinking initially.

The positive for the veyron:
Punches a smaller hole through the air
Couple hundred more horsepower
Gearing?

Positives for the sprint cup car:
Less weight
Correct suspenion and aero for ovals

I just dont know if the couple hundred more horsepower and sleeker body will be enough for a properly setup sprint car. The gearing would be the determining factor in this I would think.

aircooled
aircooled PowerDork
3/26/13 4:39 p.m.

Important question:

Same Tires? or as normally driven?

This is a big deal. The Veyron might be able to hold the corners with race tires, but with street tires, I don't think so.

Also important is that GT5 seems to make tires far stickier then in real life (probably the same in Forza), thus sports cars are delivered with Sport Hard tires even though the actual cars tires would probably be described as Sport Soft or Medium. A standard race tire should probably be a Race Hard tire also. Race Soft in the game would probably describe a real world super soft AutoX tire in terms of grip.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
3/26/13 4:45 p.m.

For one lap, or 200?

My guess is the Veyron may eek out one lap faster, but give both cars a few laps and the true race car would win handily.

in real life that is. GT5 is not real life obviously.

Jamesc2123
Jamesc2123 Reader
3/26/13 4:56 p.m.
usa4cheer wrote: I'm a Forza guy so I can't do it but I cant wait to see how this pans out with GT5 . I'm with the side that Bugatti can't make the the corners fast enough. I think NASCAR real times are mid 40's???

?? They are both in Forza 4...

Anyway, Danica's pole was about 196 MPH average. I think the Bugatti has that beat. Obviously, we need to get Top Gear 'murika on this. It's perfect for them.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/26/13 4:59 p.m.

Will you be using the restrictor plate cars? Or can you open the Sprint cars up to their full potential?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
3/26/13 5:16 p.m.

I can test this tonite.

Conquest351
Conquest351 SuperDork
3/26/13 5:22 p.m.

Just put this link on the Top Gear on History Channel facebook page. They were asking about show ideas, so I figured I'd share this to help them out. Whether or not they actually come and check us out is something completely different...

Anti-stance
Anti-stance UltraDork
3/26/13 5:57 p.m.

If they read this link they would be crazy to not try it. They could totally make a segment out of it. They could pull some Sprint Cup driver and a Bugatti factory driver. They could try out the different scenarios of "as they come"(stock vs. stock car), stock car vs. Bugatti with race tires, stock car with ristrictor plates, and so on.

Didn't even think about the tires.

usa4cheer
usa4cheer New Reader
3/26/13 6:22 p.m.

The original thought was take the best one lap time that NASCAR ran and see if the Bugatti could beat it on factory issued tires. It caused quite a drunken debate. I'm glad to see we aren't the only car fools who find this intriguing.

usa4cheer
usa4cheer New Reader
3/26/13 6:23 p.m.

We should all tweet Tanner and plant that seed!

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
3/26/13 6:35 p.m.
Conquest351 wrote: Just put this link on the Top Gear on History Channel facebook page. They were asking about show ideas, so I figured I'd share this to help them out. Whether or not they actually come and check us out is something completely different...

They never used any of my ideas.

After how Top Gear UK were prattling on about how the Bowler Wildcat could go anywhere and do anything. I wanted to see them take one to Naples, FL to race against a swamp buggy in the Mile O' Mud.

Will
Will Dork
3/26/13 6:57 p.m.

Back in 2004, NASCAR decided to test, just for fun, how fast one of their cars would run unrestricted around Talladega. Rusty Wallace ran a lap at 216.306, with a 228 mph trap speed.

That doesn't answer the question, but it's all I've got to contribute. And it seems relevant.

aircooled
aircooled PowerDork
3/26/13 8:44 p.m.

Did a quick test, very interesting:

The Veyron was SLIGHTLY faster by about 1 second!

This is with stock tires. The Veyron hit around 115, the stock car around 107. Stock car time was around 44 seconds.

I didn't do any tuning on the stock car, so there is likely a better time there. I am also currently using a controller, but that should hurt both cars.

Looks like it would be a good test. I am wondering if a real Veyron would get a bit scary in the corners. I am not sure Bugatti or an owner would want to take chances with the walls.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance UltraDork
3/26/13 8:48 p.m.

Dude, they need to test this for real.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
3/26/13 8:51 p.m.
aircooled wrote: Did a quick test, very interesting: The Veyron was SLIGHTLY faster by about 1 second! This is with stock tires. The Veyron hit around 115, the stock car around 107. Stock car time was around 44 seconds. I didn't do any tuning on the stock car, so there is likely a better time there. I am also currently using a controller, but that should hurt both cars. Looks like it would be a good test. I am wondering if a real Veyron would get a bit scary in the corners. I am not sure Bugatti or an owner would want to take chances with the walls.

Does GT5 have a "b-spec"/sim driver you can use like in GT4? That was my "Stig" when setting points of reference.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hmebIxU8GpMP3BLfDz0KRsNCoou4qB7L4JW7x8q3UNi7Gj2T4P2KNxzaxGyqT9vY