1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13
Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
2/11/13 8:43 a.m.
tuna55 wrote:
belteshazzar wrote: extra super not-cool http://now.msn.com/christopher-dorner-is-first-drone-target-on-us-soil
WOW Where is the left on this? The stupid policy (which was bad enough) read that the drones could target US citizens if they were part of a terrorist plot. Now we're talking a guy who is a suspect in a crime. Nothing proven, no jury, no judge. This is incredible.

Is it too soon to start posting these?

mpolans
mpolans Reader
2/11/13 8:55 a.m.
S2 wrote:
mpolans wrote: Why do cops need suppressors?
Well, noise suppression to prevent hearing loss, especially if firing in a building. Despite its "evil" reputation in the US, it's nothing more than a muffler for your gun that makes your gun longer. Not nearly as sexy or evil when you look at it that way.

Okay, I might agree with you to a point, but I'd think that would only be a concern if they were exposing their unprotected ears to enough gunfire in a building while clearing houses that it would be a concern. How often are cops (even SWAT guys) actually getting into gun fights? IIRC, the number is pretty low. I have no problem with suppressors, but I do have problems with law enforcement officers being treated as above the law and being able to have things that common citizens cannot (or can't with out jumping through a bunch of extra hoops).

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/11/13 8:57 a.m.

The Border Patrol has been using Drones for quite a while.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltraDork
2/11/13 9:01 a.m.
Knurled wrote:
yamaha wrote: If you're in Cali, I sure hope you aren't driving a blue pickup truck......

Blue, black, full-size, compact.... pretty much anything that might look like a truck.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/11/13 9:02 a.m.
mpolans wrote:
S2 wrote:
Well, noise suppression to prevent hearing loss, especially if firing in a building. Despite its "evil" reputation in the US, it's nothing more than a muffler for your gun that makes your gun longer. Not nearly as sexy or evil when you look at it that way.
Okay, I might agree with you to a point, but I'd think that would only be a concern if they were exposing their unprotected ears to enough gunfire in a building while clearing houses that it would be a concern. How often are cops (even SWAT guys) actually getting into gun fights? IIRC, the number is pretty low. I have no problem with suppressors, but I do have problems with law enforcement officers being treated as above the law and being able to have things that common citizens cannot (or can't with out jumping through a bunch of extra hoops).

they put over 40 bullets into that truck the ladies were driving. When they find Dohner, they are going to have to reload a couple of times to make sure he is dead

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltraDork
2/11/13 9:17 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote:
Knurled wrote:
Blue, black, full-size, compact.... pretty much anything that might look like a truck.

I got an LOL out of that.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltraDork
2/11/13 9:22 a.m.

they put over 40 bullets into that truck the ladies were driving. When they find Dohner, they are going to have to reload a couple of times to make sure he is dead

On a side note, a month of so ago, two cops fired 24 rounds at a guy that walked up to them with a hot glue gun in a restricted parking lot at the police headquarters. They only hit him 7 times. So where do you think those other 17 rounds went in DOWNTOWN Greenville? In defense of the cops, I think this guy was trying to commit suicide by cop because the scenario just seems strange. But 24 shots for one guy standing outside?

tuna55
tuna55 UberDork
2/11/13 9:23 a.m.
spitfirebill wrote:
Bobzilla wrote:
Knurled wrote:
I got an LOL out of that.

If I were Dorner, I would totally do that to the truck I was in.

Seriously, though, I get the feeling this guy is going to find them, not the other way around. Usually the trail is so obvious, it makes detectives look like idiots. The perp hiding IN HIS HOUSE, or AT HIS MOM's, places so ridiculously easy to guess that you know the guy was panicking. I don't think Dorner is panicking. I think the LAPD is panicking.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
2/11/13 9:53 a.m.
mpolans wrote:
S2 wrote:

Back when you needed to be a dealer to own a supressor our machine gun in Missouri, police could have them, too. If the officer got one, it stayed with the department when he left (at least the portion of the weapon that is taxed). I would assume it's the same in most states with tougher gun control.

If SWAT said they needed supressors, damn right, I'm giving them supressors

Around here, you can have whatever you want as long as you're willing to pay.

Edit: Oh, and around here, it's not uncommon to see SWAT raid a house. Was just talking to a muny cop the other day about it.

oldtin
oldtin UltraDork
2/11/13 10:03 a.m.
Anti-stance wrote: Well murder is a felony/capital offense so I believe it does fall under federal jurisdiction.

Murder is a state crime - only becomes federal under a few circumstances like smuggling illegal aliens. OTOH, crossing state lines as a fugitive... not that hard to make it an FBI case.

Interesting and a bit scary to see the results of stuff like the patriot act and all of the chasing/killing (alleged) terrorists around the world without due process coming home to roost.

It will make a hell of a movie or two or three - sort of a combo rambo, running man, the fugitive,

aircooled
aircooled PowerDork
2/11/13 11:27 a.m.

Something I just noticed about the picture of the truck (may have been covered here already).

They are looking for a single black man in a pickup truck right?

Notice the number of bullet holes where the PASSENGERS head would be!

Anyone know at what range these shots were taken from? It's pretty crazy you can put that many bullets into a vehicle and not kill the people in it.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltraDork
2/11/13 11:39 a.m.

Well, looking at the cop car, the shell casings on the ground around it and it's proximity to the truck, I would guess less than 10 yards. Probably closer to 5-7yds would be my guess.

tuna55
tuna55 UberDork
2/11/13 11:51 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote: Well, looking at the cop car, the shell casings on the ground around it and it's proximity to the truck, I would guess less than 10 yards. Probably closer to 5-7yds would be my guess.

So much wrong with that it's not funny. Especially as noted above, the holes near the passengers head.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
2/11/13 11:55 a.m.

How quick can you hit the ground?

slantvaliant
slantvaliant SuperDork
2/11/13 11:57 a.m.
oldtin wrote:
Anti-stance wrote: Well murder is a felony/capital offense so I believe it does fall under federal jurisdiction.
Murder is a state crime - only becomes federal under a few circumstances like smuggling illegal aliens. OTOH, crossing state lines as a fugitive... not that hard to make it an FBI case.

The Feds can get involved here, if simply on a civil rights complaint. Killing someone of interest to the federal government apparently violates their civil rights. Also, the "manifesto" which he may have written does seem to imply that he has surface-to-air missiles: "Do not deploy airships or gunships. SA-7 Manpads will be waiting,"

Hello, ATF, FBI, TSA, EIEIO ...

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
2/11/13 12:03 p.m.

Good thing those officers weren't using .357 sig or fn 5.7 caliber weapons.....

I have no issue with law enforcement having suppressors, SBR's, etc.....I draw the line when they demand the need for the newest greatest full auto toy(FN P90, Glock 18, Kriss SuperV, etc) just to poke fun at law abiding citizens who want one but cannot due to them all being post-may '86

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/11/13 12:04 p.m.

I wonder if they hit the bumper? I need a bumper...

aircooled
aircooled PowerDork
2/11/13 12:34 p.m.

Also interesting about the picture. Seems to be at least two different caliber bullets involved. You can see the holes in the tailgate are two styles. One with a more traditional pushed in style the other appears to push out a bit (!?). Maybe a slower larger caliber and a faster smaller caliber (inverse cone affect). Maybe an AR for the smaller holes?

The smaller holes also appear to be MUCH less accurate (maybe not an AR). The big ones are well grouped, the small ones are all over the place.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/11/13 1:02 p.m.

I count 50 holes in that Nissan Toyota.

What happened to "innocent until proven guilty in a court of law by a jury of your peers"?

Javelin
2/11/13 1:02 p.m.
Woody wrote: I wonder if they hit the bumper? I need a bumper...

They hit everything but the suspect.

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
2/11/13 1:03 p.m.

In reply to Javelin:

Thats never meant a thing to the LAPD.....

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
2/11/13 1:06 p.m.
Javelin wrote:

No, they hit them too... Juuuust not the suspect they were expecting.

Javelin
2/11/13 1:07 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote:
Javelin wrote:
No, they hit them too... Juuuust not the suspect they were expecting.

2 out of 50, plus a ricochet. Not exactly, "hitting"...

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltraDork
2/11/13 1:18 p.m.

actually it was 3/50... two in the back, one in the hand of the other person.

The fact that someone was shot IN THE BACK by the police is enough for me to think that criminal charges need to be brought up on these two morons.

tuna55
tuna55 UberDork
2/11/13 1:24 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: actually it was 3/50... two in the back, one in the hand of the other person. The fact that someone was shot IN THE BACK by the police is enough for me to think that criminal charges need to be brought up on these two morons.

I don't have a reference, but I read the hand injury was because of broken glass.

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3RimAdlu9GWHPkkpdbScIBTCbwih1oMBNc9vD1YU09LyQkWr2rmn8vTguFkwyqSF