1 2 3
SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/7/17 6:02 p.m.

In reply to spitfirebill:

Sure there are. Many, many good reasons.

If it's a dump and my family hates living there, the cost to me could be significantly more than any benefit I might receive from a "good" job.

Job conditions, housing costs, culture, activities, proximity to various things, cost of living, etc, etc, etc.

In fact, I would reverse your statement. There is no good reason to take a job without considering the various facets. That would be really foolish.

OHSCrife made a good list of many of the positives I am already considering. But I'm not gonna jump (from a reasonably contented life) without understanding a few things first.

I've turned down many good job offers because they would not lead to a good life.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/8/17 11:03 a.m.

So, I am understanding that NW Columbia around Lake Murray, and Lexington are nice areas, but East Columbia is not so much.

Thoughts?

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
4/8/17 11:48 a.m.

In reply to SVreX:

You totally missed my point.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/8/17 8:13 p.m.

In reply to spitfirebill:

Perhaps. Care to explain?

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/9/17 12:28 a.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: They do have Maurice's BBQ which is excellent! Of course the Maurice's I went to also had a corner where they sold white supremacist flyers and books.....so there's that too.

Gotta say Maurice's isn't the best BBQ in this area and they have stopped pushing that agenda so openly. Maurice passed away nearly a decade ago and his kids are running the business now. They still support a certain agenda, just separated it from the business...

secretariata
4/9/17 12:50 a.m.
SVreX wrote: So, I am understanding that NW Columbia around Lake Murray, and Lexington are nice areas, but East Columbia is not so much. Thoughts?

Depends on expectations. Lake Murray & Lexington (and Blythewood in the NE is getting there) are where the $ is so land/housing is more costly, but schools and services are better. South and East areas are less $ but also have less to offer as far as schools and other services. Lexington 5/Richland 1 school district (Lake Murray area) is generally rated as one the top 3 public school districts in the state each year.

We are imports and have lived in the NW area near Irmo for the past 20 years. We live in a "poor" neighborhood in the highest $/capita zip code in the Cola area. No kids, so public school info is based on friends & neighbors. We weren't sure what moving to SC would end up like (originally from VA & PA) and had some reservations, but this has turned out to be a great place to be from our perspective.

We love this area. For a southern city of this size, there is a lot of cultural stuff due to being the state capitol and the university. With the lake, rivers, parks & national forests there are a lot of outdoor opportunities.

I don't get PM's (signed up with a yahoo account), but if you want to talk just let me know and we can figure out a way to do email or phone.

Steve

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/9/17 9:47 p.m.

In reply to secretariata:

That's good info- thanks. (I am also a displaced Yankee- been in the South for 25 years)

I'm working in Columbia the next few weeks. If you'd like to get together, I'll buy (the beer, or coffee, or lunch, or whatever)

svrexpaul at gmail

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
4/10/17 12:22 a.m.

Steve pretty much nailed it.

I moved here in 94 to attend USC and stayed after graduation. Like any college town, the fans are a little extra. As with most college towns . . . lots of bars, small eateries, and dive bars scattered everywhere. While the arts and culture scene isn't as big as Greenville, it's only 90ish mintue (depending on where you live in Cola) drive. Beaches, mountains, lakes, trails for hiking, race tracks are minutes to a few hours away.

And yes . . . Maurice's BBQ ranks fairly low regarding tasty BBQ.

secretariata
4/10/17 8:27 p.m.

In reply to SVreX:

Yeah, I'd be up for getting together. Always good to meet forum folks. Kinda busy with work today & tomorrow so I'll email you Wednesday evening. I work downtown, but anywhere is reasonably easy to meet up.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/10/17 11:12 p.m.

In reply to secretariata:

Sounds great!

peabodysc
peabodysc New Reader
4/11/17 11:52 p.m.

Hottest place in the state. Easy drive to Greenville (1.5 hrs), Charleston (1.5 hrs), Charlotte(1.5 hrs), without the pain in the butt of living in those places. Any of those offer a lot for a day trip.

People don't move to SC solely for the culture, except maybe Charleston.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/12/17 9:14 a.m.

In reply to peabodysc:

Thank you.

That's certainly understood. Cultural aspects would definitely not be why I would move there, but I recognize some level is important to me. Lack of ANY opportunities would be reason to not move there.

I currently live in a place where culture is defined by what brand you chew, and how far you can spit. THAT won't cut it.

secretariata
4/12/17 5:32 p.m.
SVreX wrote: In reply to secretariata: Sounds great!

SVreX: Just sent you an email.

Paging Strike Zero & peabodysc: If you folks are interested in making it a group gathering, I'm in for that. PJ, we've met a couple of times before. Last time was at Pawley's in 5 Points when DustoffDave was at Ft. Jackson and they tried to smoke us out...

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
4/12/17 7:05 p.m.

LOL! Mrs. Zero had many questions when I got home because my eyes were very red!

Sounds good to me for group gathering . . .

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/12/17 8:35 p.m.

Get together next week sounds great, guys. You're gonna have to pick the place- I'm ignorant.

Tues or Wed evening next week would be great!

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
4/12/17 8:57 p.m.

Either day works for me. Any particular style of eatery?

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
4/13/17 6:56 a.m.

Lizards Thicket

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/13/17 7:06 a.m.
spitfirebill wrote: Lizards Thicket

Is that the name of a restaurant?? Holy Crap- I need to go there just because of the awesome name!!

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
4/13/17 7:25 a.m.

The Thicket (my nephew calls it Lizard Gizzard) is a decent, southern family style restuarant. Fried flounder and grits makes for a great breakfast!!

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
4/13/17 3:40 p.m.

They do have a great breakfast.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/13/17 4:54 p.m.

OK, how 'bout a SC GRMer gathering- . 7 PM Wed @ Lizards Thicket on Elmwood.

Teach me sumpin!

I'll be wearing a GRM shirt.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
4/13/17 5:15 p.m.

Id come visit, but ill be in Florida. Nothing to say about Columbia, but just wanted to meet yall

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
4/13/17 6:25 p.m.

In reply to SVreX:

Sounds like a plan too me.

I'll have on GRM gear as well!

If you want to grab a beer of two after, the Vista is few miles away.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/13/17 7:42 p.m.

In reply to Strike_Zero:

You mean someone here recommended a place that doesn't serve alcohol??

secretariata
4/13/17 7:49 p.m.

In reply to SVreX:

Yes, that's exactly what he means. We can change plans if you'd like.

I'll try to remember a GRM t-shirt also...

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NYleotqmNIl0qJQ5cKZs5OVMtNJ5FggxI5HoA4jMIpN8wmAHMvM84FDvovX6nzpi