David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/18/24 6:01 p.m.

I have a favorite pencil but not a favorite pen. All of the pens in my desk are old, and I have a bit of handwriting coming up.

So, anyone have a fave? And I’m not opposed to a fountain pen, either, simply because I have never had one before. (I did have a calligraphy pen, though, as we learned it in school.)

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/18/24 6:17 p.m.

I always use a Pilot Precise V5.. I've used them for the past 25 years.  I generally go through about one a year-ish.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/18/24 6:20 p.m.

I am a big fan of the Pilot Gel Bold.  Must be bold.  

TravisTheHuman
TravisTheHuman MegaDork
10/18/24 7:00 p.m.

I'm ashamed to admit I do.  I've been trying to switch back to #2 pencils but it seems most of the corporate world uses pens and I don't understand why.  Pencils are cheaper, don't leak all over E36 M3, and much better for the environment.

anyways, this pen rocks

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/18/24 7:01 p.m.
John Welsh said:

I am a big fan of the Pilot Gel Bold.  Must be bold.  

I have three I carry at work. I use a .5 for most things, 1.0 for carbonless forms, and a thick Sharpie for signs. 

No Time
No Time UberDork
10/18/24 7:04 p.m.

My favorite for every day use is the Uni Jet stream. It writes clean and doesn't smudge, making it good for lab notebooks and data sheets. The image is the version with black ink, but I typically get blue to contrast with the printed text on datasheets and documents. 

eastpark
eastpark HalfDork
10/18/24 7:10 p.m.

Space pen. Been using it for over 25 years now. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/18/24 7:10 p.m.

My favorite pen is a pencil. I like being able to correct mistakes.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/18/24 7:16 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Is the favorite pencil the Dixon Ticonderoga HB2 ?

Puddy46
Puddy46 HalfDork
10/18/24 7:19 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Yep, Pilot G2 4 Lyfe!

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
10/18/24 7:37 p.m.

I prefer pencil, but i like these due to similar drag as a pencil. 

the standard ol' Bic clic stic. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
10/18/24 8:17 p.m.

I'm used to picking up whatever is laying around and half the time it doesn't even write.  A few years back my kids got me a fancy titanium pen (okay, I don't know if it's titanium, and I'm sure it wasn't expensive) and I stuffed it away in a cabinet somewhere.  Came across it a couple months ago and I've been using it ever since.  Not completely enamored with the way it feels in my hand, but it does write very well.

gunner (Forum Supporter)
gunner (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/18/24 8:35 p.m.
No Time said:

My favorite for every day use is the Uni Jet stream. It writes clean and doesn't smudge, making it good for lab notebooks and data sheets. The image is the version with black ink, but I typically get blue to contrast with the printed text on datasheets and documents. 

Heck yeah. These I will search out and spend money on. I used to love the pilot G2 gel pens but I used to have to write on plastic bags and those do not. Jet Streams write on anything and write like bliss.

02Pilot
02Pilot PowerDork
10/18/24 8:37 p.m.

For disposable, everyday use, particularly writing lecture notes and such, one of these:

For anything special, I tend to use one of these, Pelikan M200, vintage dating back to the 1980s, fine nib:

For pencils, there is no alternative to the Blackwing 602:

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/18/24 8:52 p.m.

Pilot G2 for pens, Pentel P205 mechanical pencil. I'm an old draftsman at heart.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BCkN89ft6WIlN8jnu4eyRMjtbWCRk3gN3WtvN7cfJT7FbdZM6dsrM9Z7QmCmfuj1