szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie Reader
12/20/13 11:26 a.m.

So, after Christmas I'll be starting a new job, and for the first time in my career I'll be travelling for work. They've told me I'll be visiting their other office in South Jordan, UT (which I have read is a suburb of Salt Lake City?), and visiting a client site in Lexington KY.

What do I need to make sure I don't miss while there? Any good automotive things (like kart tracks) I might visit off-hours during the week? And since some of us also have the hobby of cycling - any ride route recommendations/ways to temporarily get my hands on a bike while I'm there?

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon SuperDork
12/20/13 11:30 a.m.

I live about an hour west of Lexington. It's a cool town, but no kart track unfortunately. There is a nice indoor karting place in Louisville, which is about an hour drive away.

PHeller
PHeller UberDork
12/20/13 11:32 a.m.

Alside or ADP?

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
12/20/13 11:40 a.m.

The home of the Mormon Meteor while in salt lake....... Supposed to be alot more cars in there.

rodrammage
rodrammage New Reader
12/20/13 2:40 p.m.

Miller Motorsports Park in Tooele.

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
12/20/13 2:43 p.m.

One has my sister in it, the other is overrun with Mormons. Thats about what I know.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
12/20/13 2:54 p.m.

In reply to mndsm:

From what I hear and have experienced, they seem to be awfully nice.......as in almost too nice, so I got to thinking and decided.........ITS A TRAP!!!!!!

JamesMcD
JamesMcD HalfDork
12/20/13 9:45 p.m.

Try to be in Lexington for this:

Keeneland Concours

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
12/21/13 8:05 a.m.

get into horses - Lexington isn't into cars yet; maybe in a 100 years from now?

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
12/21/13 8:07 a.m.

I had a goal to visit this at some point - maybe I had just read an Art Arfons book.....

http://saltflats.com/

plance1
plance1 Dork
12/21/13 12:08 p.m.

make a side trip to frankfort kentucky, nice little town

2002maniac
2002maniac HalfDork
12/21/13 1:45 p.m.

Salt Lake area is great for cycling! If you are into MTB there is a fantastic trail system just east of So Jordan in Draper. Tons of good trails up in the mountains too, but they are snowy until may/june. If you are a roadie head up any one of the canyons to the east for some good climbing.

Miller motorsports park is a must visit and they have an excellent outdoor kart track with rotax karts available for rent. There is also a regular cars & coffee meet. If you get a sporty rental, there are hundreds of miles of quality driving roads within an hour of SLC.

Don't worry about the Mormons, you may find them a bit weird, but they are super nice. Non-Mormons outnumber the LDS population in SLC anyway.

unk577
unk577 Reader
12/21/13 3:23 p.m.

I love Salt Lake, would move there tomorrow if I wasn't tied to my job/pension. If you like anything outdoors you'll love it.

Kentucky- I have yet to go there and not get a ticket from they're lovely state police

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
12/21/13 6:24 p.m.

In reply to 2002maniac:

Seems to explain why any crime exists there.....

pilotbraden
pilotbraden SuperDork
12/23/13 10:32 a.m.

In Ogden Utah visit the John M Browning Museum. His working protoypes are on display.

http://browningmuseum.com/

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie Reader
1/2/14 4:53 a.m.

Just got a chance to come back to this, excellent stuff all, thanks for the suggestions. I'm contract to hire right now, but it sounds like if this pans out I should see if I can talk a co-worker into stashing an MTB for me in SLC. How far is MMP and the salt flats from SLC?

I also guessed wrong on the town in Kentucky - I had thought it would be one client, but it's actually a different client, which is based in Louisville. So...learn me Louisville?

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Dork
1/2/14 7:45 a.m.

Louisville Slugger Museum, and if its an interest of yours, the Frazier History Museum. It covers arms from (I think) the iron age to modern times. Huge collection of early firearms with tons of decorative inlay work.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/2/14 9:19 a.m.

In reply to szeis4cookie:

Bonneville Salt Flats are pretty close to the Nevada border, probably a couple of hours' drive from SLC.

If you're out that way, want to enjoy the outdoors, I recommend you also visit Grand Basin National Park.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade UltraDork
1/2/14 9:29 a.m.

Louisville has great places to eat. Nice place, had a good bus system when I was there.

Powar
Powar SuperDork
1/2/14 11:06 a.m.

Louisville is awesome. What do you want to know?

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie Reader
1/2/14 12:49 p.m.

In reply to Powar: Will probably be looking for ways to kill time and blow off steam in Louisville (will be travelling there to see a client of my new employer's). Not real interested in the bar scene. Someone earlier mentioned a kart track, that would be up my alley. Indoor shooting ranges, museums, other brain-engaging things.

Anyone know how tough it'll be to find Louisville basketball tix?

Powar
Powar SuperDork
1/2/14 1:15 p.m.
szeis4cookie wrote: In reply to Powar: Will probably be looking for ways to kill time and blow off steam in Louisville (will be travelling there to see a client of my new employer's). Not real interested in the bar scene. Someone earlier mentioned a kart track, that would be up my alley. Indoor shooting ranges, museums, other brain-engaging things. Anyone know how tough it'll be to find Louisville basketball tix?

I'm not help with the sports whatevers, but I can probably help with the other things.

For karting, there are two main attractions in this area. The first is going to be Bluegrass Indoor Karting. It's fairly new, has faster karts and a much more 'serious' racer vibe. The other is Kart Kountry, which is about 15 minutes south of Louisville. It's a long track and quite fun to get on with some friends for some unserious hoonery.

The only indoor range I've been to is this one: http://www.tggky.com/ It rocked. They have a hell of a selection of things to rent and it was fairly welcoming even to a relative noob like myself.

The Kentucky Science Center is in Louisville and is always a good time. You'll also find a lot of great food in that area (or anywhere in or around the city, really).

(wow... formatting is still borked on the new board)

onebadrsx05
onebadrsx05 Reader
1/2/14 2:57 p.m.

In response to the bats baseball tickets, its impossible to not get tickets... Ive been many times and 9 out of 10 times I have been given tickets at the gate by some season ticket holder that has 10 tickets but only 4 or 6 people with them. If you dont get lucky like that, tickets are like 10 or 15 bucks for solid seats down the 1st or 3rd base line.

Bluegrass Indoor Karting [BIK] is much better that Kart Kountry, albeit more expensive, but much better in the long run. Im down to 24.4 and I am 225lbs. First timers are lucky to get in the 25.5 range due to the complexity of the track. (1 heavy brake zone 1 pure momentum and hope it sticks corner)

As far as indoor ranges, there are plenty, Open Range is one that I know of that is pretty big. Im not a gun person so I am not really sure of the others. Only know of this one because my cousin works there.

Downtown offers many sights, as others have mentioned, the night life is pretty large with 4th street... even though Ive been like 2 times. [bar scene is not for me at all]

Anyhow, best of luck in your travels! Im sure many of us Louisvillians will help you around when time comes.

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie Reader
1/2/14 7:42 p.m.

And of course, as soon as I post to this thread I get told to saddle up. Good places to eat in SLC that won't burn my entire per diem in one meal?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2hhsKZETBF8V2hbNBYOI1dXvuo8OEv8WBiXFw0OO503fngFGrBC9DGiiVEiB3UKR