Rxbalt
Rxbalt Reader
4/11/13 2:57 p.m.

So recently I pretty much fell in love with the Suzuki Cappuccino, but I've never even thought of importing a car, much less a RHD kei car before.

So before I jump into it, does anyone here have knowledge on the subject?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/11/13 3:08 p.m.

I have one, but it's about this long. (I'm holding my hands about 6 inches apart.)

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UberDork
4/11/13 3:16 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: I have one, but it's about this long. (I'm holding my hands about 6 inches apart.)

Dude, he said Suzuki, not THAT.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltraDork
4/11/13 3:18 p.m.
1988RedT2 wrote:
David S. Wallens wrote: I have one, but it's about this long. (I'm holding my hands about 6 inches apart.)
Dude, he said Suzuki, not THAT.

Dude, he said 6" not 3"

Adrian_Thompson
4/11/13 3:21 p.m.

Totally wicked little cars, I love them whenever I go back to the UK, or I should say I used to love them when I went back. They seem very fond of ferrous oxide, kind of like a 70’s Fiat parked on a beach.

This is just a couple of cars of Retro Rides. I'm not saying they are all like this, but I would be very very carful about buying one site unseen.

Conquest351
Conquest351 SuperDork
4/11/13 3:25 p.m.

I think I'd almost kill for an AZ-1. Cappuccino would be a super sweet little car to tool around in. People will look at you weird wondering what's wrong with your Miata though. LOL

Adrian_Thompson
4/11/13 3:27 p.m.
Conquest351 wrote: I think I'd almost kill for an AZ-1. Cappuccino would be a super sweet little car to tool around in. People will look at you weird wondering what's wrong with your Miata though. LOL

Only pic I can find of one near a Miata for now.

Adrian_Thompson
4/11/13 3:34 p.m.

Rxbalt
Rxbalt Reader
4/11/13 3:37 p.m.

That rust is... oh boy.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
4/11/13 3:37 p.m.

3 more years until you can import the first years cars. (rolling 25 year, from date of manufacture of the subject car)

No way a registered importer would be able to get the petition through DOT without lots of problems (read: paying mucho for crash testing).

so in short

Customs - pay your taxes DOT - wait until its 25 years old EPA - as long as its more than 21 years old, your OK

Rxbalt
Rxbalt Reader
4/11/13 3:38 p.m.

15 up here in the land of snow, maple syrup and beavers, I probably should've mentioned that in the OP.

mpolans
mpolans Reader
4/11/13 7:58 p.m.

I owned one. I won't buy another. I like small cars. I love Miatas (owned two so far and will get another). That said, my Cappuccino was too small. My right arm felt pretty cramped against the door. The shifter wasn't all that great. It had virtually no carrying capacity. The trunk was so small, my small school backpack barely fit (it wouldn't fit if it were full). If you take off the roof panels to store them, your storage space is down to enough to store a couple paperback books. Handling was pretty good. Acceleration was so-so, but you could feel it when the boost kicked in, which made it a little more fun. Mine died when the crank pulley delaminated from the harmonic damper and walked back through the plastic timing belt cover and interfered with the timing belt.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltraDork
4/12/13 7:24 a.m.

I'd like one, with a G13B swap. double the power, and double the annoyance.

Adrian_Thompson
4/12/13 7:53 a.m.
mpolans wrote: I owned one. I won't buy another. I like small cars. I love Miatas (owned two so far and will get another). That said, my Cappuccino was too small. My right arm felt pretty cramped against the door. The shifter wasn't all that great. It had virtually no carrying capacity. The trunk was so small, my small school backpack barely fit (it wouldn't fit if it were full). If you take off the roof panels to store them, your storage space is down to enough to store a couple paperback books. Handling was pretty good. Acceleration was so-so, but you could feel it when the boost kicked in, which made it a little more fun. Mine died when the crank pulley delaminated from the harmonic damper and walked back through the plastic timing belt cover and interfered with the timing belt.

Where are/where you located when you owned yours?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SYxhoEPqPesN1oKLsICnFhuiWAwTi7PFAXzUj70bkGn4uuXkUTe8Vm2vjozHrYtW