1 2 3
Storz
Storz Dork
11/7/13 6:05 a.m.

My daily right now is a cheap Smith & Wesson watch on a NATO band. 19 bucks online for the watch and it has a Miyota movement

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
11/7/13 6:51 a.m.
Bumboclot wrote: I don't wear watches, but I kind of want a big, gaudy Casio G-Shock.

They also make more subdued g-shocks. I've been wearing a classic style one since 6th grade http://www.gshock.com/watches/Classic/G5600KG-3

DaveEstey
DaveEstey UltraDork
11/7/13 7:32 a.m.

I have been wearing the same Citizen Eco-Drive for 12 years now without fault. It has been damn durable. I paid $200 for it in 2001.

I've heard that quality has suffered the past five years or so for the brand, but take that with a grain of salt.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
11/7/13 7:33 a.m.
Storz wrote: Redline makes some cool auto inspired watches http://redlinewatches.com/redline_main.asp

I like those a lot.

Storz
Storz Dork
11/7/13 9:28 a.m.

Watch daily deals

http://chronoshark.com/

Conquest351
Conquest351 UltraDork
11/7/13 9:41 a.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: What the wife got me, that I like... http://www.amazon.com/Armitron-204406SVSV-Automatic-Silver-Tone-Round/dp/B00152WIO8/ What I like - purely mechanical. That's neat. See through - Also neat. What I don't like - It loses all it's spring over the course of the weekend, when I don't wear a watch, so inevitably sometime on Monday morning I'll look at it, realize there's no way that time is right, and have to reset it.

My first skeleton watch too. Mine has the blue surround rather than the black. Love it.

92dxman
92dxman HalfDork
11/7/13 2:35 p.m.

Those Redline driver watches are really cool looking but way too big for my wrist size wise.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition HalfDork
11/9/13 2:50 a.m.

For you Redline fans with huge wrists:

http://sellout.woot.com/plus/redline-compressor-mens-watches

WilliamLion
WilliamLion New Reader
2/13/15 5:14 a.m.

This post has received too many downvotes to be displayed.

Hokie69
Hokie69 New Reader
2/13/15 8:28 a.m.

I've had a basic Tag for well over 12 yrs w/ no cost other than a few batteries. After a series of Seikos and Citizens, best watch I've ever had !

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UberDork
2/13/15 9:25 a.m.
WilliamLion wrote: I prefer only Rado watches and buy them online at authenticwatchstore, because there is good price and I believe they are authentic.

Can I wear it in my canoe?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
2/13/15 10:32 a.m.

I don't know anything about what watches are worth... only that I know what I like in a watch so I buy it if the price isn't offensive to me.

• Waterproof. I sweat like Jimmy Swaggart in a motel parking lot. Plus, swimming.
  • light weight. I run and having one arm with a heavy watch sucks.
  • rubber band. I run and having one arm shaved from a metal watch band sucks.
  • glowing face. I like to tell time in the dark without pushing a button.
  • No ticking noises. I wear it to sleep when at the track or camping.
  • Not gaudy. Shiny jewelry stuff is not my thing but it needs to be worn business casual so Casio ain't cutting it either.
  • Analog. Because berkeley digital watches.

My wife got me this for my birthday last year... it's perfect. Ticks every box.

http://www.amazon.com/Luminox-5023-Carbon-Analog-Display/dp/B00JPS0KA8

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
2/13/15 12:24 p.m.

I realize I'm in the minority here, but I very much want one of these when they debut this spring:

I'm even more enamored with the fact that this is an elegant watch with a customizable, high-rez face than I am with the fact that it has smart functions that pair with my phone.

octavious
octavious HalfDork
2/15/15 8:47 p.m.

My wife got me a Seiko 13 years ago when we got married. It has never needed anything but a couple batteries and still keeps perfect time.

I retired the Seiko last August because I was running more and doing different workouts where I wanted a stopwatch, countdown timer, and watch all at once, but that was not digital.

For our 12 year anniversary she got me a Casio Pro Trek model PRG550. It has all those feature and a ton more. Not meaning to, but the watch has taken a beating and keeps right on ticking. Sweat, rain, dirt, grim, doesn't phase it. Where I am in life this watch fits my lifestyle perfectly.

Good luck, and remember shopping is half the fun.

mattmacklind
mattmacklind UltimaDork
2/16/15 8:19 a.m.
Lancer007 wrote: Bulova Marine Star. SWMBO bought me one of these for my birthday 3 years ago and I'm very happy with it.

Bulova seconded, as well as Caravelle, Bulova's "value" line.

Other interesting more casual brands are Nixon, Tsovet and Fossil.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/17/15 10:22 a.m.

For Fathers day last year I got myself one of these:

It is a Vostok Amphibian, is an automatic and the company has an interesting history. As an added plus I got mine from a Russian guy and it came packed in Russian newspapers which my 11 year old took to his Social Studies class.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
2/17/15 10:29 a.m.

In reply to Rusted_Busted_Spit:

From a russian guy packed in newspapers!?!? Was there also the forearm of the original owner in the box?

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
2/17/15 10:41 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: For pure legibility, you can't beat this. A Mondaine Night Vision. The face was designed for function and it has tritium tubes both on the hands and at the hours. No matter what the light conditions, it's just easy to see. Very comfortable to wear. I've had some ridiculously enthusiastic folks comment on it, too, it appeals to a different sort than the Speedmaster.

Thanks for posting this Keith! On my wishlist now..

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/17/15 11:02 a.m.

In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker:

That part went to his Science class, only the stained newspaper went to SS.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
3/29/15 2:24 p.m.
Rusted_Busted_Spit wrote: For Fathers day last year I got myself one of these: It is a Vostok Amphibian, is an automatic and the company has an interesting history. As an added plus I got mine from a Russian guy and it came packed in Russian newspapers which my 11 year old took to his Social Studies class.

I love the Amphibian. I have two right now.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/31/15 10:43 p.m.

Jean Lassale are my watches of choice. I also like the Seiko Lassale for day to day use. Very thin yet very strong. I also like the look. My favorite style in both is a stainless steel case with gold inlay. The faces are light or white with roman numerals

I actually just recently got one of my watches back after almost 25 years. I had purchased a Seiko Lassale while over in Germany back I the early 80s at a watch shop. It was used. The previous owner had broken the crystal and instead of waiting for it to be fixed sold it to the shop owner and got a new watch. Anyway it was a rather rare model with only a couple hundred in total made. I had it until the late 80s. I always suspected that my x brother in law had stolen it but never coil prove it. Well just last year after years of scanning eBay I found what I thought was my watch. I purchased it from of all places Italy. Now my watch had the first three digits of my Ss engraved in the back and the band had had three links added that were monotone where as the rest of the links were stainless with gold centers. Sure enough when the watch arrived it was my watch. The best I can figure is my x brother in law was always hanging around with an exchange student from Italy. At this point I don't care and further more the add for the watch mentioned that it belonged to the sellers deceased husband. I just think it I cool I got it back after all these years.

Now days Lassale watches still command some serious prices but the Seiko Lassale can be had for between 50 and 150 on eBay.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dnd6eZilHl2rnXpSTEWxmmo41EAkxjbXxDYWVNjX4UUHHvvZ9jeSvC8PL3c83Tg5