1 2
ToxicTurtl3
ToxicTurtl3 New Reader
8/13/14 5:26 p.m.

Do you guys here on GMP think that the Logitech G27 Race Wheel would be a goodish and fun tool to help me learn to drive manual since it has a clutch and shifted? Also is it worth the $300.00 price tag?

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
8/13/14 5:27 p.m.

Buy a E36 M3 car with a manual. Learn to drive. Sell it for what you paid. No video game peripheral is going to give you the right feel. It's just not possible.

nicksta43
nicksta43 UberDork
8/13/14 5:31 p.m.

It doesn't give you the feel of the clutch take up at all. The only thing it may help you with would be the timing of the events...maybe...

For this situation I would say no it wouldn't help.

failboat
failboat UltraDork
8/13/14 5:31 p.m.

Yeah its not really the same. It is fun though (I have a fanatec csr)

ToxicTurtl3
ToxicTurtl3 New Reader
8/13/14 5:40 p.m.

OK well since it doesn't really feel the same, is it worth the $300 price tag?

nicksta43
nicksta43 UberDork
8/13/14 5:46 p.m.

I have a G25 which is very similar. I guess it depends on how much time you get for gaming. I don't believe you'll find anything close for the price. There are many setups that are better or have more features but the price reflects it.

nicksta43
nicksta43 UberDork
8/13/14 5:48 p.m.

Check out the simulation central subforum for all the different ways you can race with fellow GRMers.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
8/13/14 6:01 p.m.
ToxicTurtl3 wrote: OK well since it doesn't really feel the same, is it worth the $300 price tag?

Do you play hella video games? I would never buy one and I'd venture a guess that I rank in the top 5 "gamers" defined as such on here... at least in collections (I actually live next to the one that I'd call #1, but he's not really a regular, so I might call him excluded). A lot of people swear by wheels for Gran Turismo and Forza and whatnot. I grew up on a D-pad for Rad Racer and stuff- so I can still get down with one.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
8/13/14 6:12 p.m.

A wheel won't help you learn stick.

failboat
failboat UltraDork
8/13/14 6:50 p.m.

If you really like racing simulators, then theres no better way to play IMO.

Ive been obsessed with driving games since I was a kid..I had a thrustmaster wheel back then for pc, had a madcatz wheel for original xbox, microsoft force feedback wheel when it released with forza 2, and upgraded to fanatec recently. Fanatec is the same price as logitech so you should at least look into both if you are serious about a purchase

ToxicTurtl3
ToxicTurtl3 New Reader
8/13/14 7:11 p.m.

In reply to failboat: I looked at the Fanatec and also the G27. The Fanatec one's look awesome but the G27 comes with pedals and a shifter, while the Fanatec doesn't unless you add them for an extra $150 (unless I'm missing something). I think that I'm ganna go with the G25/27 because they come all together.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/13/14 8:02 p.m.

The wheel could help you learn the basics of driving stick if you've never done it before, but it's still going to feel different in real life. As a wheel I'd say it's worth the money, I have one.

If I had to suggest a sim to learn on, I'd say Assetto Corsa, it has painfully realistic gear grind and stall simulation - many sims are very forgiving about this.

You may want to get someone who plays racing sims to tune your clutch pedal sensitivity to get it as close to "real" as possible.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
8/13/14 8:14 p.m.

The Fanatec combo prices out about $100 more than the G27. It's cross platform (PC/Mac/PS/XBox) and a much better piece of hardware.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
8/13/14 10:00 p.m.

Agreed with JG, my Fanatec Porsche wheel and entry level Fanatec pedals are noticeably better than the G27 junk.

SEriously, noticeably.

ToxicTurtl3
ToxicTurtl3 New Reader
8/13/14 10:07 p.m.

Ok so the Fanatec Porsche 911 GT3 RS V2 Wheel US with a table mount and pedals would cost me $279.90. Is this worth the extra $50 to get that one rather than the G27?

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
8/13/14 10:57 p.m.

As someone who has spent time on both, yes. I think so.

I spent $400 to get the Fanatec wheel, pedals, and seat/mount. Good deal. The wheel is so much more smooth.

After Christmas I'll probably even step up to the $700 setup for the motor/wheel. They are that good.

ToxicTurtl3
ToxicTurtl3 New Reader
8/13/14 11:13 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: As someone who has spent time on both, yes. I think so. I spent $400 to get the Fanatec wheel, pedals, and seat/mount. Good deal. The wheel is so much more smooth. After Christmas I'll probably even step up to the $700 setup for the motor/wheel. They are that good.

OK I'll most likely get the Fanatec one and I wish i had $700 or $800 to spend on a wheel cuz I like the Classic Wheel better than the Porsche one by a long shot. Once I end up getting a shifter thingy what one would be recommended for the most realistic feel?

Graefin10
Graefin10 SuperDork
8/14/14 5:51 a.m.

Fanatec just produced driver's ed. systems bought by a driving school in Germany. I'm sure it would be incredibly expensive. It uses 3 screens. The cockpit is configured like a streetcar. It includes a clutch and shifter. I'd say that a system like that could be useful to someone who is new to driving.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
8/14/14 8:51 a.m.
ToxicTurtl3 wrote:
z31maniac wrote: As someone who has spent time on both, yes. I think so. I spent $400 to get the Fanatec wheel, pedals, and seat/mount. Good deal. The wheel is so much more smooth. After Christmas I'll probably even step up to the $700 setup for the motor/wheel. They are that good.
OK I'll most likely get the Fanatec one and I wish i had $700 or $800 to spend on a wheel cuz I like the Classic Wheel better than the Porsche one by a long shot. Once I end up getting a shifter thingy what one would be recommended for the most realistic feel?

http://www.fanatec.com/us-en/module/configurator;bundle_id;12

This is what I bought for my iRacing setup.

It's a good deal, seat takes a while to put together but it's well designed. Then I've got a big table with 3 27" Monitors on it.

Eventually I'll buy the top end Fanatec stuff and one of these with 30-32" monitors:

http://www.mainperformancepc.com/product/obutto-gaming-cockpits/obutto-r3volution-gaming-cockpit

nicksta43
nicksta43 UberDork
8/14/14 10:56 a.m.

I still wish I could afford a computer that will run iracing. My laptop will with all the fancy stuff turned off but I want all the eye candy. When I win the lottery I'll have a full motion rig and a virtual reality setup to go along with it.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
8/14/14 1:22 p.m.

I taught my nephew how to "drive stick" on a Hard Drivin' arcade cabinet at Funspot in NH.

trigun7469
trigun7469 HalfDork
8/14/14 2:57 p.m.

I went from the Momo logitech to the G27 and have a race seat setup and I love it. I use Ps3 and my computer, and compared to actually going on track it is a cheap date.

ToxicTurtl3
ToxicTurtl3 New Reader
8/14/14 7:36 p.m.

Ok well my B-Day is coming up so I'll hopefully be able to get the Fanatec one. Does anyone know what a good 6-Speed H shifter? Id like to use one instead of just the paddle shifter.

ryanty22
ryanty22 Dork
8/14/14 7:46 p.m.
SilverFleet wrote: I taught my nephew how to "drive stick" on a Hard Drivin' arcade cabinet at Funspot in NH.

Hard drivin was the E36 M3, i learned the basics of a stick on it

failboat
failboat UltraDork
8/14/14 7:54 p.m.

the CSR shifter set for fanatec is $60. If you buy the cheapest wheel (Porsche GT3) and pedal set (CSR), it adds up to around $320, their website is not cooperating with me at the moment though so i cant see if there are any package discounts. Also that doesnt include shipping cost.

Looking back at my reciept in my email, Got the Forza CSR wheel, CSR Elite pedals and the CSR shifter set. $380 shipped.

All this poking around on their website I see that they finally have the handbrake accessory available now for $100. I think I know what I'm asking for this christmas.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DbrLTuP5WzVc0Rda5BzMciw3DPM2QcUWTmix82bjPnElVSjX4LHrEBEJeR8dk38C