1 2 3
btrostelsc
btrostelsc None
10/27/10 8:18 a.m.

If you were working on a "man cave" type decorating project, what would you think of as far as memorabilia?

Obviously automotive memorabilia would come first, but what else? I don't want just auto stuff.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
10/27/10 8:20 a.m.

Photos of scars from every vehicle maintenance project you've ever performed.

slefain
slefain SuperDork
10/27/10 8:45 a.m.

Movie posters, mainly from bad movies and possibly horror movies.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 HalfDork
10/27/10 8:47 a.m.

Naked pictures of all the hot women you've known in the biblical sense.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
10/27/10 9:02 a.m.

I have grand plans myself of building a vintage sports car theme centered on a curved bar out of concrete with red/white stripe on the outside rail. Bar stools will be 15" wheels w/ used up slicks modified to not be nearly as uncomfortable as that sounds. The taps will be done in AN-12 fuel line terminating in some kind of spigot on the side of a fuel rail with the pressure gauge for the C02 in place of a FPG. I have an MG grill that I was going to work in as a drip drain screen.

Engine pulleys driven by a motor disguised as an alternator... turning a ceiling fan... spot lighting courtesy of Lotus 7... and so on. All switch gear, handles and knobs from some kind of cool old car or tool.

Lots of black and white photography of racing/paddock... any cool engine/suspension parts I can work in (70s chevy coil springs make a cool stemware rack).

I wanted to try to make everything myself to avoid E36 M3ting place up with the cliche crap the catalogs sell but... I've been here 7yrs and haven't started yet mainly due to Mrs GPS's lack of vision, or perhaps a deficit in my ability to persuade her. I'll probably just end up sheetrocking, painting and making a game room for the kids.

JFX001
JFX001 SuperDork
10/27/10 9:05 a.m.

Power tools or Pottery Barn?

nderwater
nderwater HalfDork
10/27/10 10:38 a.m.

Hang a Cobra on your wall?

http://factoryfiveparts.com/product.php?productid=16508&cat=0&page=1

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
10/27/10 10:40 a.m.

Personally, I think as soon as you call it a man cave it loses all its manliness.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/27/10 10:42 a.m.

I thought man caves just happened. Who knew there was decorating involved?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/27/10 10:43 a.m.
nderwater wrote: Hang a Cobra on your wall?

Cliche.

How about hanging one of these?

Photobucket

btrostelsc
btrostelsc New Reader
10/27/10 10:55 a.m.
stuart in mn wrote: Personally, I think as soon as you call it a man cave it loses all its manliness.

True, but I wanted to make sure people knew what I meant.

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
10/27/10 11:05 a.m.

I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany

EricM
EricM Dork
10/27/10 11:06 a.m.

My downstairs family room is entirely sailing related, even I, the salor, think it is a bit overwhelming.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy HalfDork
10/27/10 11:11 a.m.
stuart in mn wrote: Personally, I think as soon as you call it a man cave it loses all its manliness.

Sorry, but when the place smells of hot wings and beer and only has pictures of cars on the wall with a racing simulator sitting next to the computer, it is definitely a 1) man cave or 2) bachelor pad. And there is nothing wrong with calling them that.

Otto_Maddox
Otto_Maddox Reader
10/27/10 11:21 a.m.

Man cave sounds sexual, possibly homosexual.

porksboy
porksboy Dork
10/27/10 11:36 a.m.

Old fishing rods and reels hanging on the wall or ceiling. Maybe a shot gun or rifle around. I have my man silhouette target I shot a Frowny face on in my shop. Broken tools that cant be returned for replacement glued to the edge of a table top. A line of 24 running clocks that are set one hour apart so you can prove it is late enough to drink some where.

10/27/10 12:11 p.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: I thought man caves just happened. Who knew there was decorating involved?

That would be my garage, office or shed. I'd like a place thats all mine that says "Sit down. You won't get cut too badly or get grease on your pants." I sure as hell ain't cleaning the other three.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
10/27/10 12:14 p.m.

Unfortunately, if you tried to sit down in my garage you'd probably cut yourself badly and get grease on your pants.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 HalfDork
10/27/10 12:17 p.m.
porksboy wrote: A line of 24 running clocks that are set one hour apart so you can prove it is late enough to drink some where.

Brilliant!

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
10/27/10 1:15 p.m.

Gotta have beer poster.

10/27/10 1:16 p.m.

In reply to 914Driver:

I would prefer actual beer wenches, for instance, the one in your poster.

10/27/10 1:17 p.m.
Woody wrote: How about hanging one of these? Photobucket

I would turn that into a driving sim rig.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
10/27/10 1:19 p.m.

No wenches, my wife is funny like that.

10/27/10 1:22 p.m.
914Driver wrote: No wenches, my wife is funny like that.

Maybe buy the wife that outfit ... it's almost Halloween so if it looks like its going to go badly you can still unload it quickly.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/27/10 1:26 p.m.

Anything you put on the walls has to have a reason. Like a piston from the engine you exploded at the Challenge, or a crumpled fender from your first wheel-to-wheel race, or race events you've been to. This should happen organically, and will make the "cave" much cooler than anything you create by decorating.

The movie posters suggestion is a good one, but you need to be able to spout off dialog from said movies.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CQUrGysX86tVY8IX4sw3XubUs4pukYfVlOKAtl4x0TmzLtu518MVRMQwKjCai1nz