tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
2/9/21 3:11 p.m.

She: 140 lb side sleeper

Me: 175lb back or side sleeper

She doesn't like my kids tuft and needle. We have a 

Our bed is at a 7 degree angle. upright 2x4, 3 1/2" apart. Queen. 

Currently choices are GravityLux, Yogabed, Layla, SleepEZ natural latex, Puffy and Level Sleep.

Which and why? Quick delivery before V day is preferred but not required. We sleep on a "cushioned firm" version of this guy now, Amazon.com - Ultimate Dreams Latex Mattress - Queen Size - Custom Comfort - Ask Chuck - Plush Mattresses, but it's lumpy at eight years old.

Vajingo
Vajingo Reader
2/9/21 3:24 p.m.

Dude, in your almost EXACT same sitch. Bought a sleep number king years ago. Night and day difference. The only, and I do mean only, downside is the middle gooch area makes it hard to spoon. 
upsides:

she gets what she wants

You get it too. 

having some lower back pains? You can adjust for that.
oh. And moving houses? Easiest mattress of all time. Never throw your back out again by heaving a brick of foam up and down flights of stairs. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
2/9/21 3:27 p.m.
Vajingo said:

Dude, in your almost EXACT same sitch. Bought a sleep number king years ago. Night and day difference. The only, and I do mean only, downside is the middle gooch area makes it hard to spoon. 
upsides:

she gets what she wants

You get it too. 

oh. And moving houses? Easiest mattress of all time. Never throw your back out again by heaving a brick of foam up and down flights of stairs. 

Nobody cares about me, you should know that. That's too much cash, and we're not moving anytime soon.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UberDork
2/9/21 3:32 p.m.

We're on year 11 of an memory top Englander king size. 

Allegedly you're supposed to get a new mattress every 10 years?  You can't flip our mattress due to the memory foam top, we were better about rotating it for the first few years.  We've been much more neglectful in recent years.  Now there's a pretty significant Lee-shaped divot on my side. 

We're talking new mattress, were hoping to wait until the new place is finished, but it's looking like it'll happen sooner.

I'm interested in the discussion, but Englander is pretty high on my list for a replacement.

Vajingo
Vajingo Reader
2/9/21 5:30 p.m.
tuna55 said:
Vajingo said:

upsides:

she gets what she wants

You get it too. 

Nobody cares about me, you should know that. That's too much cash, and we're not moving anytime soon.

You must be young. Or grouchy from a lack of good sleep. Jk. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
2/19/21 10:47 a.m.

We got the Sleep EZ 9000, which is a 9" mattress with three layers, firm, medium, soft. You assemble it yourself and can switch layers around to get it where you want it. It has a 1" thick pillowtop so the left/right latex layers can all be split without losing continuity. Right now both sides are set up firm/soft/medium to up the firmness. I really like it, but I may go softer. Those guys delivered super fast. Pleasant company to do business with.

chaparral
chaparral Dork
2/19/21 2:45 p.m.

Two twins and a gym mat between them for recreational activities

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/19/21 2:58 p.m.

We're thinking about bumping up to a king from out current queen.  We have a Sealy pillowtop right now that we like pretty well.  I can figure out the model if you like.  It holds us up and we're heavy.

What's the hive say about box springs?  With the advent of foot-thick mattresses this last decade, we're probably not going to get a box spring this time.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
2/19/21 3:01 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

To the first point: I already got the mattress...

To the second, mattress types differ, but for latex or foam I built the bed with 2x4 on edge with about 5" on center spacing. Nothing else.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
2/19/21 3:13 p.m.
tuna55 said:

We got the Sleep EZ 9000, which is a 9" mattress with three layers, firm, medium, soft. You assemble it yourself and can switch layers around to get it where you want it. It has a 1" thick pillowtop so the left/right latex layers can all be split without losing continuity. Right now both sides are set up firm/soft/medium to up the firmness. I really like it, but I may go softer. Those guys delivered super fast. Pleasant company to do business with.

You have chosen... wisely.

That's basically what the wife and I got. I looooove it. We may have gotten a 10". Not exactly sure. It's 3 layers, split down the middle.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
2/19/21 3:15 p.m.
chaparral said:

Two twins and a gym mat between them for recreational activities

I'm married, so inviting two twins into my bedroom seems like a poor decision.

/snark

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
2/19/21 3:16 p.m.
Beer Baron said:
tuna55 said:

That's basically what the wife and I got. I looooove it. We may have gotten a 10". Not exactly sure. It's 3 layers, split down the middle.

Nice! From what I read and learned on the phone with them (They were very helpful) the added inch serves to make it a bit more soft if needed, so the nine was enough. I especially like the idea that it could be the last mattress that I buy, since I can replace layers in perpituity.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
2/19/21 3:24 p.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

That was one of the big selling points for me. Previously we'd had a nice memory foam, but over time it had begun to sag in the middle where I laid down. The ability to just replace ONE layer would fix that problem and ultimately save money.

I looked at some other latex manufacturers, but the only company that was nicer was notably more expensive, and their big thing was the ability to swap out sections to get different firmness under different portions of the body. That seemed to be more for people with particular health issue though.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
4/12/21 9:04 a.m.
tuna55 said:
Beer Baron said:
tuna55 said:

Nice! From what I read and learned on the phone with them (They were very helpful) the added inch serves to make it a bit more soft if needed, so the nine was enough. I especially like the idea that it could be the last mattress that I buy, since I can replace layers in perpituity.

I'm on their site. I can't find the sleep ez. 
is it 

organic

natural

roma

hybrid or

360 hybrid. 

It shouldn't be this hard to find a specific product on the company's website.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
4/12/21 9:55 a.m.

In reply to DrBoost :

I think Tuna and I both went with the "Natural". That's their standard model that has the customization options for two separate sides with three layers that can be mixed and matched.

Organic is the same thing, but more expensive for being organic latex.

Roma is a budget version with two layers that the only firmness adjustment is flipping which side is up.

Hybrid is using an innerspring base with latex on top to save money.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
4/12/21 12:51 p.m.
Beer Baron said:

In reply to DrBoost :

I think Tuna and I both went with the "Natural". That's their standard model that has the customization options for two separate sides with three layers that can be mixed and matched.

Organic is the same thing, but more expensive for being organic latex.

Roma is a budget version with two layers that the only firmness adjustment is flipping which side is up.

Hybrid is using an innerspring base with latex on top to save money.

Correct!

For the record Beer Baron is not my wife. He's pretty cool though.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/5/22 12:54 p.m.

Update: I was reminded via Angry's Zinus thread. This mattress is by far the most comfortable thing I have ever slept on. It remains every bit as amazing as day 1.

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
3/6/23 10:25 a.m.

SleepEZ

Arizona Premium Mattress

Sleep on Latex

Spindle

Personally, I have an APM 6" Firm for me, Medium for her, with medium 3" top for me, and a soft 3" top for her. 

I could honestly rock a full-firm latex mattress. 

If I was going to buy something off the proverbial shelf, I'd pony up for the Spindle Split King custom firmness option. 

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
3/6/23 10:35 a.m.

Update - After looking on what SleepOnLatex is now offering in terms of customization, I think I'd go with them. 

They are one of the few companies who offer split firmness in a queen size bed, and they offer a Extra Firm, which I'd be all about. 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/6/23 11:54 a.m.

We just ordered a Sleepnumber p6 in King. Our current mattress is long over due! 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
3/6/23 4:51 p.m.

We have a Novaform from Costco. Found out about it on the forum. 6-7 years later, and we love it still. Just now starting to get some grooves and indentations. We've not been easy on this bed - my wife basically spent 12-18 hours a day in it during one pregnancy, then we spent far too much time in it during our grieving, my wife and daughter were in it all the time while they were breastfeeding early, our daughter uses it as a trampoline, the dog jumps on it, I work from bed far too much since Covid (at least 10 hours a week), while my father in law was living here I would come and watch TV from bed quite often to get some alone time...

We still get great sleep on it (well, pretty good, there are other issues with our sleep but it ain't the mattress, CPAP on its way). I fully intend on buying a new Novaform in about 2-3 years. That said, based on other reviews on this forum - especially from Margie and Curtis - I'll be checking out Zinus next time as well.

My 3 month review is here.

2 year review is in this thread

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
3/7/23 8:46 a.m.

I finally replaced my 20+ year old Original Mattress Factory queen size last weekend with a king sized Sleep Number and mattress topper.  So comfy.  (The Number was only a few years old, and free, so definitely worth it.  They upgraded to a bougey Purple.)

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
3/7/23 2:30 p.m.

part of the reason sleep number is so popular is because so few people are willing to actually determine the level of firmness they need on their side of the bed, and lots of people have qualms about split firmness beds. 

I will say that one advantage to the many latex bed manufacturers is that they are customizable and rebuildable. You can't rebuild a Sleep Number or any of the bed-in-a-box options from Costsco, Amazon, etc. 

I can replace all aspects of my modular latex bed, or customize it depending on my weight, sleeping style, etc. The biggest factor in this is the cover. A quality zip cover gives you so many options. 

Fun fact - you can actually build you own Sleep Number for under $1500. The air chambers are around $200, the pumps go for between $200-$300, add a 3" latex topper and a nice cover. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FfFDHPwoIFmOiEXd9uqhSSWGOUz2Gx6Lu4yLxTnWiIczXLFvbNRO8Hlj0E8VTRUu