1 2 3
SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
9/24/08 9:08 p.m.

As an independent political aficionado, I believe the Holy Grail moment of American politics is the Presidential debate. It's not the primaries, that's just a lot of blow-hards. It's not the election, most folks have made up their minds by then. It's certainly not the Inauguration, nobody watches that crap.

But the debate is when we get to see 'em. It is THE moment in American politics. Good, bad, or indifferent this is when we get to see what the parties are offering us in terms of leadership. It's when a lot of swing votes make up their minds.

And John McCain says he may not come to the debate on Friday so he can focus on his job as a Senator working on the economic plan.

Some of you may think that makes him a patriot. A lot of you may say it's just a publicity stunt, to which I say, "So what?". He's a presidential candidate, isn't he supposed to be seeking publicity?

I think there is a lot of publicity to it.

But the concept of Mr. Obama (or any other major political candidate from any party in the last 30 years) walking out onto an EMPTY stage and trying to explain what the heck he is doing there instead of doing the job he was elected for (Senator) is so tantalizingly juicy I can't stand it.

Discuss...

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/24/08 9:17 p.m.

I think he's stalling.

littleturquoiseb
littleturquoiseb Reader
9/24/08 9:20 p.m.

It's all part of the Negotiation ... he wants something!

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
9/24/08 9:34 p.m.

i think most people will not pay any attention as to WHY McCain isn't there, just that he's not there.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
9/24/08 9:46 p.m.

Maybe- some may get a positive message from his absence.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
9/24/08 9:48 p.m.

First he named Palin, then he toned down the Republican convention because of the hurricane, now this.

Just doesn't look like politics as usual.

And frankly, Mr. Obama looks off balance a lot. He doesn't seem to know how to react to some of this stuff.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
9/24/08 10:14 p.m.

It sets a bad precedent.

He can do the debate and then go back to working on the economic plan. It's a very contrived move, IMHO.

No different than the "lipstick on a pig" "outrage".

GregTivo
GregTivo Reader
9/24/08 10:30 p.m.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

(Disclaimer- I hate McCain and loathe Obama)

The candidates can debate or not debate. I don't give a rats ass, but I find it hilarious that Mr. "I really don't know much about the economy" is rushing off to see that "Bush"s bailout plan is passed by a congress where there are more democrats leaning towards support of the bill than republicans. Its comical, and not in a good way. Obama may win the rhetorical battle or not, but McCain is just idiotic.

Suffice it to say, my opinion is "bailout or not bailout" we're screwed. This monetary transaction merely saves the skin of the Fed from enbarassingly questions about bad accounting and risk management. Don't expect it to save any jobs. The liquidity issue is just going to drag on longer and require more money pumped in. Stagflation, here we come, full steam ahead.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Reader
9/24/08 10:35 p.m.

Send Palin. Isn't that who they're comparing to Obama these days?

It'd also be hilarious.

GregTivo
GregTivo Reader
9/24/08 10:37 p.m.

I'm with German Bird, send Palin. Maybe Obama cna reduce her to tears like he did Hillary

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
9/24/08 11:29 p.m.

Greg:

I think we agree on the "bailout" thing. Bailout my rear- can you say welfare for Wall Street?

I also agree both Mr. McCain and Mr. Obama have very little to offer the economic discussions. However, as the leaders of their respective parties for the Presidential seat, they certainly could say to their parties, "Come on now, kiddies, it's time to play nice". The timing of the debate and the close of this session of Congress are right on top of each other. Lawmakers distracted by their political chest thumping could easily walk away from this session with no decision- that would be bad.

GregTivo
GregTivo Reader
9/24/08 11:49 p.m.
SVreX wrote: Greg: I think we agree on the "bailout" thing. Bailout my rear- can you say welfare for Wall Street? I also agree both Mr. McCain and Mr. Obama have very little to offer the economic discussions. However, as the leaders of their respective parties for the Presidential seat, they certainly could say to their parties, "Come on now, kiddies, it's time to play nice". The timing of the debate and the close of this session of Congress are right on top of each other. Lawmakers distracted by their political chest thumping could easily walk away from this session with no decision- that would be bad.

To be frank, if no decision was made, I would be happy. I don't buy into Bush and Paulson's prediction of doom and hellfire if 700 billion dollars of no strings attached money wasn't given to them immediately. The tactic they are using is rediculous. Liquidity doesn't freeze up permanently because several large banks failed. Chaos ensues for a short period of time (maybe) and then the market finds a new equilibrium. The depression wasn't the direct result of the 1929 crash, it was the result of poor monetary policy enduring years after the 1929 crash. The cry "do something now" rings hollow if we can't see a clear solution for the long term. Let congress sit on it for a while and if the market panics for a few days, wait until the blood thins out of the water before we start making rapid changes to the cash reserves of the market.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
9/24/08 11:53 p.m.

I agree.

It won't happen. Apparently, Warren Buffet doesn't think it will happen either. Seeing as how he just bought $5 BILLION worth of Goldman Sachs. Looks like the smartest investor on the planet is buying into the bailout.

GregTivo
GregTivo Reader
9/24/08 11:57 p.m.
SVreX wrote: I agree. It won't happen. Apparently, Warren Buffet doesn't think it will happen either. Seeing as how he just bought $5 BILLION worth of Goldman Sachs. Looks like the smartest investor on the planet is buying into the bailout.

I wonder which event in the past year or near future will mark the end of the American era in historians minds?

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
9/25/08 12:21 a.m.

Do you guys remember the 2004 debates? Anyone? Even if you were a bush supporter, you had to admit he got spanked in those (C student can't out talk a debate club guy).

But he got elected anyone.

I was taking a GE political science class at the time, and I'll repeat what my professor said. The debates only show who the better debater is. They don't show us how well the candidates will do when crunch time comes as president. If we want to actually gauge how they'll react in the office, we should have a bunch of people suddenly bust into their hotel rooms at 3am, wake them up, and hound them mercilessly to make a really tough decision.

914Driver
914Driver HalfDork
9/25/08 5:52 a.m.

McCain has tried to get Obama to debate many times, Obama always declined. He even left it up to Obama how it would be done, sit down and formal, town hall or whatever you choose, Obama declined. NOW Obama is cranking because McCain wants to be a Senator for a day?

It's no wonder I don't understand politics....

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
9/25/08 5:56 a.m.

check out the quick poll on cnn's front page. It is admittedly unscientific

carzan
carzan New Reader
9/25/08 6:51 a.m.

I think this says it all:

McCain Skips Out On Letterman

"Mr. Letterman told his audience that Senator McCain had called him directly on short notice Wednesday, to tell him he had to cancel his appearance.

Mr. Letterman said Mr. McCain had said the economy was “about to crater” which necessitated that he get to Washington right away.

Even after Mr. Letterman brought out Keith Olbermann, the MSNBC host and vituperative Republican critic as the substitute guest for Mr. McCain, he continued to assail Mr. McCain for the decision to cancel the appearance. His critique reached a high point when he learned that at the very moment Mr. McCain was supposed to be on the couch next to him being interviewed, the senator was at the CBS News center three blocks away in Manhattan, getting ready to be interviewed by the CBS News anchor, Katie Couric.

Mr. Letterman ordered his director to put on a live feed from that location, which showed Mr. McCain getting made up to go on with Ms. Couric. “He doesn’t seem to be racing to the airport,” Mr. Letterman observed."

Interesting...but sad.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/25/08 7:11 a.m.

Three people in the media you don't piss off:

Oprah Winfrey

Jay Leno

Dave Letterman

Why would you can Dave to go on with Katie? I mean seriously, if you value the respect that you have earned to this point you don't make rash decisions like this.

Stupid mistake that WILL prove costly.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/25/08 7:37 a.m.

Fear. McCain is running scared.

He can no longer justify, or it would seem debate, his outrageous stands on the issues unless it's within a venue controlled by his party advisors and media spin monkeys.

I've seen him getting ripped apart repeatedly by people who are finally asking the tough questions.

On a side note...I'd like to see the same questions asked of Obama.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/25/08 8:02 a.m.

These two quotes cover it:

SVreX wrote: But the concept of Mr. Obama (or any other major political candidate from any party in the last 30 years) walking out onto an EMPTY stage and trying to explain what the heck he is doing there instead of doing the job he was elected for (Senator) is so tantalizingly juicy I can't stand it.
Xceler8x wrote: Fear. McCain is running scared. He can no longer justify, or it would seem debate, his outrageous stands on the issues unless it's within a venue controlled by his party advisors and media spin monkeys. I've seen him getting ripped apart repeatedly by people who are finally asking the tough questions. On a side note...I'd like to see the same questions asked of Obama.

McCain wants to run scared because he knows he can't defend his outrageous stands on the issues, most of which he himself doesn't seem to actually believe in, judging by his tone of voice, facial expression and body language which all scream "OMG I have to say such stupid E36 M3...this is so wrong...I feel really bad about this"

So he kills two birds with one stone: He doesn't show up for the debate, avoiding a nasty tongue-slaughtering from Obama, and he finds a way to make himself look like the good guy for doing it, taking away the "Ha, my opponent wussed out" win from Obama.

On the other hand, over the course of the pre-election period Obama has gone from almost a hero figure to just another lame duck politician, at least IMO. I find him to be only marginally better than McCain, who has also made some nasty changes for the worse over the same period. Looks like you guys (any by extension the rest of the world) are screwed again.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/25/08 8:20 a.m.

Is it too late to replace McCain. Ted Nugent for president.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
9/25/08 8:26 a.m.

The problem: in order to get the greatest number of votes each has to turn namby pamby and bland so as not to offend anyone, or so the handlers will tell them. It's happened in every election, not just this one. There's no room in America to take a stand any more.

The Nuge would probably make a pretty good Prez, BTW. Like most of those who I think would make good ones, he has no desire to run for office.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/25/08 8:34 a.m.

Uncle Tedley is a douche.

I am writing in Kilpatrick/Millen. At least I KNOW what to expect from those losers.

From Newstados Unidos

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
9/25/08 8:40 a.m.

Clinton, this morning on Today (paraphrased):

"Of course Senator McCain isn't trying to avoid the debate. He's sought MORE debates."

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PMn4YZo5vZ7CJJLE2s2f0BD5WLCsHN4Py19BUiLQQbmQ25wSHeVhOTOUM4WMPDwT